Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
All these "automatic" features that "make life easier" like Autosave is good, and Previous versions. But wait...... didn't I remember Windows 7 already has previous versions .....Its probably more basic on Windows, but its still there. I wonder why Apple couldn't have included something in comparison with Snow Leopard.
Windows Vista's new "shadow copies" feature is simply a representation of the versions made at the last System Restore point. So you don't get a new version to revert to if you save files even in Windows 7. You need a system restore point for that, and those are generally only rarely created (I earlier thought daily but it seems like not even that), or at installation of new software. This makes that feature IMHO pretty weak and I remember how often I've thought there should be a previous version available in Windows 7 when there hasn't been. Pretty confusing feature if you don't keep track of when you make restore points. I think Windows 8 is supposed to have something better that'll work more like this new feature in Lion, from leaked screenshots.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Lion is an OK update nothing spectacular most of it is cosmetics but as long as they tweaked some of the features and corrected some of the bugs its worthy of an upgrade.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Also not too impressed by Lion

If it gets offered on DVD at a reasonable price I will probably try it

Otherwise it will be if I get a new mac when i upgrade machines

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It's just enough and the $29 tag makes it a no-brainer. Tiger/Panther remain the biggest milestone updates IMHO.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I am not impressed either but I don't really expect too much from an OS upgrade. I'd rather have the upgrade focus on improving the core functionality of the OS (Finder, Time Machine etc.) and then find external apps to supply any additional functionality I need. Unfortunately for me, Lion doesn't do this and it seems more like Apple taking the first steps to merge iOS with OSX. However, as long as it works well and as promised, I won't be complaining.

ramzhh

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
No fret .... your not the only one who has the little tif about Lion.. I do to..

Or at least I do for the part of WWC on apple I saw :p... Half way through the stream, safari froze (beach ball) had to "force quit".

From what i've seen so far. Lion looks ok, might have to get used to IOS style on a Mac, but apart from that its looks good.

All these "automatic" features that "make life easier" like Autosave is good, and Previous versions. But wait...... didn't I remember Windows 7 already has previous versions .....Its probably more basic on Windows, but its still there. I wonder why Apple couldn't have included something in comparison with Snow Leopard.

While its all good with Auto save as well, there are situations you may not want to autosave... Previous versions would take you back from the applications window. But heres the thing : If a user already know even before you launch an app that you do want to start again from scratch. why would you have to open it, just to "tell it" I want to discard everything. This don't makes sense.

I sure hope these auto things can be disabled, because how much space would they take up, and how for how long ... 1 year worth of documents.

Its becoming like Gmail.

Also, for $29.99 10.7 is cheaper than 10.6, by only $10.. I'm guessing the lack of the physical disc did that. But heres the downside i see, since its only available on the Mac App store, one must already have an OS (10.6 with App store app) already on to upgrade. Unless it can be burt to a disc it wouldn't be of any use BUT upgrades, as who would want to install an obsolete OS just to get 10.7 at the App store?

As for a blank hard disk... I guess you'd be out of luck yes?

If Apple charged $10 for the disc, same price then basically as 10.6 eg (about $39.) I would pay that.

Mission Control looks good, but the Expose stuff yo can do that now on 10.6. Its only looks more enchanted with everything in one place.

As i started before, i probably would of said more if Safari didn't hang.

ANyone know why that would be ?

Actually, if you had listened carefully to Steve, you would've known that the auto saves/versions only save the CHANGES you make to your document. That saves a hell lot of space!

As for mission control, I like the redesign - which is, generally, what it is. You could already open expose while you're in spaces in Snow Leopard, but this redesign looks sweet. It's simpler.

Varigon

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
You guys must be kidding...

I have been running Lion since DP1 and it leaves Snow Leopard in the dust. I could never go back.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
You guys must be kidding...

I have been running Lion since DP1 and it leaves Snow Leopard in the dust. I could never go back.

And I can't wait to get my mucky paws on it... pardon the pun! :p

In all honesty though, I bought Brothers in Arms the road to Hill 30 from the App store not too long ago - it was about 3.2 gigs in total to download and took a couple of hours max. There are games on there that are 7 gigs so really 4 is not a huge deal. If you cannot download this at home then go somewhere where you can... let's face it, there should be more places you can download this sort of thing from because it's the 21st Century.

I do feel for those who are stuck on dial up or satellite though...

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I know, full screen apps, wow, that is so Microsoft Windows like. Mission Control (or whatevah) is so like pressing with Windows Key and Tab simultaneously.

Launchpad, back to crappy looking desktops. I strive to keep my desktop clean and now they want to explode icons on it instead of the acknowledging that many of us only keep on the bar what we know we will use. If anything OS/2 had it more right.

Whats next, having to connect to the web to update my os? oops

Varigon

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Seriously, don't make a fool out of yourself. Mission Control and full screen are totally different from what you have on Windows. Full screen doesn't equal maximize.

And Mission control... geez, if you can't see the point in that then don't upgrade.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
ZFS got canned due to licensing issues, but I think there was a rumor or two that Apple was writing their own (which is needed). But that'll take a while.

I know Apple failed to reach a licensing agreement with Sun. But there is an open source version called MacZFS being worked on by a couple of groups, one of which includes former Apple engineers. It's still in beta but available now.

http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/

http://tenscomplement.com/

Besides, I wasn't necessarily meaning ZFS specifically, but other file systems in general. HFS+ is getting old.

Resolution Independence got abandoned in favor of their retina display support, which has poked its head in Lion.

And R.I. poked it's head in Leopard, but never materialized either.

Blu-Ray will never happen for obvious reasons, and USB 3.0 support will come when it is included in intel's chipsets next year.

The only obvious reason for Blu-ray is Steve doesn't like it is because it interferes with the maximization of profit from cloud based streaming. Hopefully next year's Macs will carry USB 3.0 ports in their refresh with Ivy Bridge chipsets, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Apple doesn't care about consistency like they used to; just look at the new Address Book and iCal, and custom app interfaces everywhere in iOS. Whether or not you like this approach is a matter of taste. Personally I find them a bit gaudy, but I don't care all that much.

The Mac GUI is still nicer to look at than Windows, but consistancy is still an area they could improve on. My point was that for a new OS release, things like GUI consistancy across apps might be a higher priority than, say, new wallpaper.

They implemented the features that most people want.

Yes, people have wanted them for only about 10 years :rolleyes:

When does HFS Plus limit your day-to-day work? I really don’t see the problem with it.

It isn't a big problem on a day to day level. But there are more secure and safe file systems out there.

Resolution independence is still not needed for some years until we have better screens.

The screens aren't the issue. Windows has partial R.I. already, and there are threads on M.R. where people complain about not being able to read certain menu texts on their 27" iMacs very well.

We all know that Blueray is a "bag of hurt" and that digital downloading will triumph Blueray.

Does 'we all" include the millions of people who already own Blu-ray discs?

Seriously, how does these things improve your daily work more than autosave, resume and mission control??

Have you used autosave, resume and mission control yet, and compared them? So far, there are already mixed feelings by many posters (who are developers) about Mission Control at least.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I know Apple failed to reach a licensing agreement with Sun. But there is an open source version called MacZFS being worked on by a couple of groups, one of which includes former Apple engineers. It's still in beta but available now.

http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/

http://tenscomplement.com/

Besides, I wasn't necessarily meaning ZFS specifically, but other file systems in general. HFS+ is getting old.

Does ZFS offer any benefits in terms of speed or stability? My main expectation with every OS release is that it becomes more optimized (like Snow Leopard was).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.