Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I've been tempted but I've read so many mixed reviews that I dont know if real-word usage lives up to the promise. Battery life seems to be the big Achilles heel and I don't like Windows 10. I'd consider one though if it ran Linux

Pixel C running Android 7.0 would be the way to go if Linux is a must on a tablet with keyboard.

Reactions: Osty

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Pixel C running Android 7.0 would be the way to go if Linux is a must on a tablet with keyboard.

I've thought about it. I used android for a long time and while I love the core OS, android just doesn't have range and quality of tablet apps that iOS does. I'd be more inclined to take a punt at the Ubuntu tablet from BQ, and try to side load Ubunte Mate on it.

What's keeping me to Apple and now iOS is mostly Scrivener.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Real world you will get anywhere between 5-6 hrs battery life. But it charges fast.
True I too hate windows 10. But the functionality is worth having it for work situations like mine.
Still contemplating.
Windows 10 is still a hot mess IMO. Having live tiles in the start menu is a goofy concession for those who wanted a more classic start menu, but it ruins the paradigm that Microsoft initially set out with Windows 8. But if you need the functionality of a full desktop OS, then that's what you need.

I think a question that gets missed is "WHY do I want a converged device?". The answer to that will help determine whether a traditional notebook, traditional tablet, or hybrid device are the solution. There are currently no hybrid 2-in-1 devices that properly stand exactly in the mid-point between tablet and notebook. They all either fall closer to the tablet end of the spectrum or the notebook.

Here's a simple rule of thumb that I give, "If you want a device that is primarily a tablet that can act like a notebook in a pinch, then get an iPad Pro, but if you want a device that is primarily a notebook that can act like a tablet in a pinch, then get a Surface". Anything else usually ends up in frustration.

Technically a pool is just a big bath tub...
Please let me know what pools you go swimming in. :eek::D

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
I think a question that gets missed is "WHY do I want a converged device?". The answer to that will help determine whether a traditional notebook, traditional tablet, or hybrid device are the solution. There are currently no hybrid 2-in-1 devices that properly stand exactly in the mid-point between tablet and notebook. They all either fall closer to the tablet end of the spectrum or the notebook.

Agreed, it's a good place to start and I havent seen any device from any platform that's lived up to the promise. Converged/hybrid devices are a compromise on both fronts. Each to their own though. The appeal is one device to rule them all and I certainly get the allure.

We'll get there one day. Maybe some kind of brave new world where screens are ubiquitous and we carry our compute modules in our pockets ( ie smart phones) and dock them into what ever format factor we need at the time. Ive seen a few concepts like that and they interest me more than the surface.

Reactions: Night Spring

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
Here's a simple rule of thumb that I give, "If you want a device that is primarily a tablet that can act like a notebook in a pinch, then get an iPad Pro, but if you want a device that is primarily a notebook that can act like a tablet in a pinch, then get a Surface". Anything else usually ends up in frustration.

I used to think like this and as a result got the wrong device (iPad Pro). Since then I learned that the type of the device is irrelevant. What matters are my needs and how I'm going to use that device. So now I think like this: "I want a device which can do this, that and the other thing I need".

I want a powerful portable device which can run Adobe CC software on it = I get a notebook.

I want a small portable device so I can watch movies in bed, browse internet, write emails etc. = I get a tablet.

I want a reasonable powerful, portable device so I can run Adobe CC software AND also watch movies in bed, write emails, browse internet on the sofa AND make emergency editing using InDesign at 12 am in my bed = I get a Windows-based hybrid device.

I also learned that "the best tablet experience" means absolutely nothing. A device is only as useful as the apps that run on it.

Yeah, basic stuff everyone knows, yet we still buy "tablets" just because they're... tablets.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I used to think like this and as a result got the wrong device (iPad Pro). Since then I learned that the type of the device is irrelevant. What matters are my needs and how I'm going to use that device. So now I think like this: "I want a device which can do this, that and the other thing I need".

I want a powerful portable device which can run Adobe CC software on it = I get a notebook.

I want a small portable device so I can watch movies in bed, browse internet, write emails etc. = I get a tablet.

I want a reasonable powerful, portable device so I can run Adobe CC software AND also watch movies in bed, write emails, browse internet on the sofa AND make emergency editing using InDesign at 12 am in my bed = I get a Windows-based hybrid device.

I also learned that "the best tablet experience" means absolutely nothing. A device is only as useful as the apps that run on it.

Yeah, basic stuff everyone knows, yet we still buy "tablets" just because they're... tablets.

I'm not sure how your formulation differs from sracers. You just added a hybrid category, which if I understand sracer correctly, his argument is that no true hybrid currently exists, they all fall close to either the notebook end or the tablet end of the spectrum. From your post, I assume when you got the iPad Pro, you thought you wanted a device that was more a tablet than a notebook. But after you bought the iPP, you realized it didn't run Adobe CC? I'm confused as to why you thought you wanted a tablet to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: M. Gustave

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
I have been very disappointed in my 9.7 iPP. The pencil is often erratic - even with a new tip. The touch display lags and is unresponsive unless I repeatedly tap it. It was returned and replaced for audio issues. Now those same issues are back on the replacement unit. I feel like the quality and software/hardware compatibility just isn't there anymore. It's too bad because I really like the pencil support - when it works.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

That's a more narrow way of viewing things and if it works for you, great.

It seems to be a matter of semantics. A significant portion of the tablet experience involves the applications that run on it. The physical characteristics of the tablet, the performance, the user interface, and the apps all factor in and are weighed against a persons needs and wishes for a device.

For some, it doesn't even matter what apps run on it. There are those who own Surface devices and claim it is offers a terrific tablet experience. That is in spite of it seriously lacking touch-optimized Modern UI apps. (I'm not referring to app-ified websites that masquerade as "apps")

If you mean "the best tablet experience" as a universally applicable measure, then yes I would agree that there is no such thing.

I have been very disappointed in my 9.7 iPP. The pencil is often erratic - even with a new tip. The touch display lags and is unresponsive unless I repeatedly tap it. It was returned and replaced for audio issues. Now those same issues are back on the replacement unit. I feel like the quality and software/hardware compatibility just isn't there anymore. It's too bad because I really like the pencil support - when it works.
Ouch. Is this a (somewhat) common experience with the iPP 9.7? I haven't experienced anything like that with the 12.9 iPP.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I've been tempted but I've read so many mixed reviews that I dont know if real-word usage lives up to the promise. Battery life seems to be the big Achilles heel and I don't like Windows 10. I'd consider one though if it ran Linux

Surface Pro 3 with Ubuntu gets worse battery life when compared to Windows 10.
[doublepost=1471973925][/doublepost]
That's a more narrow way of viewing things and if it works for you, great.

It seems to be a matter of semantics. A significant portion of the tablet experience involves the applications that run on it. The physical characteristics of the tablet, the performance, the user interface, and the apps all factor in and are weighed against a persons needs and wishes for a device.

For some, it doesn't even matter what apps run on it. There are those who own Surface devices and claim it is offers a terrific tablet experience. That is in spite of it seriously lacking touch-optimized Modern UI apps. (I'm not referring to app-ified websites that masquerade as "apps")

If you mean "the best tablet experience" as a universally applicable measure, then yes I would agree that there is no such thing.

Ouch. Is this a (somewhat) common experience with the iPP 9.7? I haven't experienced anything like that with the 12.9 iPP.

For my money, the thing that irks my windows 10 tablet experience is Edge. Most of the apps I use are there, to be honest. But apparently I have issues others don't, so it's okay. ;)

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
So what are these awesome apps I am missing out on. MojiMaker?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So what are these awesome apps I am missing out on. MojiMaker?

Er, that's such an open ended question. What floats your boat? Games? Productivity apps? Entertainment? News readers? Comic books? Drawing? Music? Bible study? Cooking?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The Pro is still by no means a full computer replacement if you need a full computer. For my job I do, but there are tons of things I do where the iPad is a better fit than the Surface Pro 3 I use at work. I find the Pencil to be far more natural and therefore I'm much more likely to pick up the iPad to fill out digital forms with it than I ever was on the Surface. It just works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.