Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
To be honest, I'm on the fence with this one. For my daily tasks of browsing the internet, watching some videos on YouTube, listening to Spotify, doing school work, and word processing, I could totally live with a PowerPC Mac. There are rare times when I have some free time and I am able to do some light gaming mainly with Cities Skylines and Minecraft. I know for a fact that Cities won't run on any PowerPC Mac and Minecraft works but not amazingly on the PowerPC Macs that I have around.

I've always dreamed of being able to use a iMac G4 on a daily basis. Such a gorgeous machine. Although I've found some light daily tasks for my new 17" iMac G4, it doesn't get near as much usage as my way more powerful Hackintosh. I've toyed around with the idea of gutting a G4 and putting a Intel NUC or something inside of it, but I hate the idea of gutting a perfectly usable Mac.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Just wait until when(not if) your MDD PSU goes out.

I wouldnt mind it, I have a buttload of ATX PSUs kickin around, Id simply hack one up and wire it for use in the MDD, I am a cheapskate, I dont expeck things perfect i expect things to work, it that means needing a external PSU in my MDD so be it, I ran a ATX PSU Externally on my PDS Desktop when the PSU fried, Ran it that way for months until the system died. I would probably just run the wires thu the existing PSU hole for the power cord.

----------

To be honest, I'm on the fence with this one. For my daily tasks of browsing the internet, watching some videos on YouTube, listening to Spotify, doing school work, and word processing, I could totally live with a PowerPC Mac. There are rare times when I have some free time and I am able to do some light gaming mainly with Cities Skylines and Minecraft. I know for a fact that Cities won't run on any PowerPC Mac and Minecraft works but not amazingly on the PowerPC Macs that I have around.

I've always dreamed of being able to use a iMac G4 on a daily basis. Such a gorgeous machine. Although I've found some light daily tasks for my new 17" iMac G4, it doesn't get near as much usage as my way more powerful Hackintosh. I've toyed around with the idea of gutting a G4 and putting a Intel NUC or something inside of it, but I hate the idea of gutting a perfectly usable Mac.

than just buy a Dead Mac Mini G4 or 1st gen Intel Mac Mini for the case. TBH Macs are production machines they are meant for video editing and music producing, they are not meant for gaming nor were the ideas of them being "home use" machines really the goal at hand.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
than just buy a Dead Mac Mini G4 or 1st gen Intel Mac Mini for the case. TBH Macs are production machines they are meant for video editing and music producing, they are not meant for gaming nor were the ideas of them being "home use" machines really the goal at hand.

Tell that to the production professionals who are upset because Apple killed Aperture and castrated Final Cut.

Apple is-and always has been-a consumer electronics company. The Mac made inroads into the publishing and creative industry because Quark and Adobe initially developed for them. They made inroads in the scientific market(where, by profession, I spend a lot of time) thanks to programs like Mathematica that were initially developed for the Macintosh.

Now, pretty much all creative programs are available on both platforms and a lot of scientific programs are Windows or Linux/Unix only.

I know many creative professionals who feel like Apple is leaving them behind.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
That's correct.

It's been what? 2+ months now? More?

I'm willing to start a GoFundMe campaign to support all the poor MacRumors members (and other citizens of society) taken advantage by our resident schnorrer.

(Yiddish word of the day: schnorrer = a parasitic person)

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yeah. My workflow on PowerPC has literally no issues. I can use Office, iTunes, Spotify, TenFourFox, Photoshop. The whole Dropbox dropping issue caused a potential hiccup, but I've just returned to local syncing to my BlackBerry over USB.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
...don't do music, never owed an iPhone, and avoid social media like the plague...

The western world says hello! ;)

But seriously, I like Apple's ecosystem. It's not always perfect but it saves time with setup in many ways. I love configuring complex networks for fun and bootstrapping vintage rigs, but sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't want to learn something. I just want Netflix to load up.

I suppose the slightly frustrating thing about lack of PPC support, is that systems like the G5 Quad could, with modern software support, do all modern tasks swimmingly. It's geek bench score is pretty much on par with a Dell Optiplex 780 I got for free from college. It has a 3GHz DualCore E8400 and I threw in a cheap nVidia GT-730. Runs GTA V at 720P and 30FPS. A 2015 high end game. The processor can manage. But it also has the software backing of DirectX 11 and Windows 10.

Sadly, Yosemite is lightyears from being on a G5...

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
I can barely log onto my school's site, I can't sync my iPhone 6, I don't use social media much, all of my software (Xcode 6, Coda 2) doesn't work (older versions, yes, but need the new versions for reasons).

I sync using iTunes Match and iCloud in a fluid app.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
My friend is wanting a MacBook for school when I tell her a iBook or PowerBook can do everything she needs to do MS Office, Photoshop, GarageBand, iMovie. LOL quick question, how does iPhone 4S Syncing work on PowerPC?

----------

Yeah. My workflow on PowerPC has literally no issues. I can use Office, iTunes, Spotify, TenFourFox, Photoshop. The whole Dropbox dropping issue caused a potential hiccup, but I've just returned to local syncing to my BlackBerry over USB.

Who uses BlackBerry's anymore? LOL

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My friend is wanting a MacBook for school when I tell her a iBook or PowerBook can do everything she needs to do MS Office, Photoshop, GarageBand, iMovie. LOL quick question, how does iPhone 4S Syncing work on PowerPC?

----------

Who uses BlackBerry's anymore? LOL

An iBook, unless it has the top processor, max ram, and SSD, and even then it's pushing it, will not cut it. Trust me, being that I used one for a few months in school, it was painful, and I didn't want to accept it.

If your iTunes is updated to the max, and your iPhone 4S is still on iOS 5/6 (i don't remember if iOS 6 works or not...), then it would be like any other iPhone or iTunes in terms of syncing. I could sync my older iPod Nano (generation before the one with a camera, 2 before the tiny square one) to my PowerPC macs easily being that they are compatible.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
An iBook, unless it has the top processor, max ram, and SSD, and even then it's pushing it, will not cut it. Trust me, being that I used one for a few months in school, it was painful, and I didn't want to accept it.

If your iTunes is updated to the max, and your iPhone 4S is still on iOS 5/6 (i don't remember if iOS 6 works or not...), then it would be like any other iPhone or iTunes in terms of syncing. I could sync my older iPod Nano (generation before the one with a camera, 2 before the tiny square one) to my PowerPC macs easily being that they are compatible.

What about a 1.67 PowerBook?

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What about a 1.67 PowerBook?

That would probably work fine, being that iBooks max out at 1.42GHz. Erik uses that daily and doesn't have a problem with it. I still think a C2D/1st gen i5 or i7 MB/MBP would be better and they are getting to be pretty cheap.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
That would probably work fine, being that iBooks max out at 1.42GHz. Erik uses that daily and doesn't have a problem with it. I still think a C2D/1st gen i5 or i7 MB/MBP would be better and they are getting to be pretty cheap.

She will most likely just get another Windows laptop I was just telling her about cheaper options.... Perhaps I should tell her to get a System76.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
She will most likely just get another Windows laptop I was just telling her about cheaper options.... Perhaps I should tell her to get a System76.

I must say, other than the HDD issues, I can't complain about my $80 Dell Latitude E6410

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I must say, other than the HDD issues, I can't complain about my $80 Dell Latitude E6410

I paid $75 for a DELL Inspiron 1420 a year or two ago. I can't complain either other than the fact the charger falls out all the time. I still have to max the ram and i ripped out the modem the SIM card slot and got a Bluetooth Module for it. Also had to get a new 9 cell battery and a chager but the charger was free it was in a bin of free cables at a garage sale last year.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I paid $75 for a DELL Inspiron 1420 a year or two ago. I can't complain either other than the fact the charger falls out all the time. I still have to max the ram and i ripped out the modem the SIM card slot and got a Bluetooth Module for it. Also had to get a new 9 cell battery and a chager but the charger was free it was in a bin of free cables at a garage sale last year.

I already had a charger from a previous broken dell, and I bought a new 12-cell battery for $30, which lasts me about 8 hours

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I already had a charger from a previous broken dell, and I bought a new 12-cell battery for $30, which lasts me about 8 hours

I get about 4-5 hours off my 9 cell battery. I dont use it on battery much though. The XPS series of DELL laptops car total Garbage so are the Inspirons of the XP area where they were literally blowing up and catching fire. Now have 4 dells in the house a Inspiron 531 desktop, a Dimension desktop and a Optiplex GX270 for internet server. I'll never buy a new computer not only because I cannot afford one but because i tend to find that secondhand seems better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.