Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcook793

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I was crusing amazon.com last night and I noticed that their Apple LCD prices are really good, actually beating the education prices in most cases when you factor in taxes (if your state has a sales tax):

20"
Apple: $1299 + tax
Apple EDU: $1169 + tax
Amazon: $1234.99 (no tax)

23"
Apple: $1999 + tax
Apple EDU: $1799 + tax
Amazon: $1899.99 (no tax)

30"
Apple: $3299 + tax
Apple EDU: $2999 + tax
Amazon: $3134.99 (no tax)

Anyway, thought I'd pass that along.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Strange.... you almost never see apple products discounted anywhere, unless they're older models. Have you talked to anyone who's bought one from there yet?
-klon

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I can't speak for displays, but I bought a 17" PowerBook from Amazon last week and they did a fabulous job. It was literally triple boxed and arrived within 2 business days in perfect condition even though I opted for the slower free shipping option. I would highly recommend Amazon for buying new Apple hardware, not to mention I saved hundreds off what it would have cost buying one direct from Apple plus I didn't have to pay sales tax either which saved me another $180.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I love amazon. Not just for new stuff, but there market place buys are amazing, and there is no chance of getting ripped off like on ebay. I can't say enought about what a good job amazon is doing.

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
My favorite thing about Amazon is they immediately discount Apple hardware when updated products are announced.

They did it with the Powerbooks in April, and they just did it again w/the iPods. Last I saw, the 15gig 3G iPod was ~$236 on their site.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
rareflares said:
you sure amazon doesn't charge any tax AT ALL? no matter where you live?
I think there HQ is in Del, where there is no sales tax. They can only collect tax for the state where they are HQed. Apple has retail stores, so they have to charge tax everywhere.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
rareflares said:
you sure amazon doesn't charge any tax AT ALL? no matter where you live?

This is straight off of Amazon's website...

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to sales tax.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Nice deal even for educational buyers, which is saying something, though I'm a bit skeptical--I'm in California, and I'm almost positive they've charged me sales tax in the past. Anybody in California actually tried ordering one of these?

Of course, they don't have any in stock, while Apple says they do, which is another factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.