Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I don't see how amazon prime is not a good deal given you get storage, shipping, video, books, audible etc for 99 bucks per year. Yes, music is limited but please tell me where you get a better deal

That was my point, it is dirt cheap for what you get. There is no better deal. :)

Reactions: npmacuser5

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
The Amazon plan for Prime members is only $79 if you pay for the whole year. That's not a bad deal. I wonder if it'll include their music match service like Apple does with iTunes Match and Apple Music.

It's been $99 for years now, where do you live?

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I have Amazon Prime so I already get Prime Music not sure what the extra $8 subscription for prime members would get me as music unlimited when most music get removed after a month and pretty much if you enjoy mainstream music then this is for you but if you are into other types of genres like: Techno, Trance, House, Jungle, DnB and ETC. this is not for you because all you will find is generic versions.

Apple Music and Spotify still at the top Amazon has a long road ahead when it comes for music streaming just like their movie/TV show streaming even though Amazon Prime movies they give you a option to subscribe to other Networks or Streaming service it still is not like Netflix than again they are both equal in the same way of what content they can stream.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I don't use any of Amazon's "that's-not-all" services, but my fiance does. How is this not bait-and-switch? She has been complaining for a little while now that Amazon Music keeps removing songs. Oh, but look, it is available under Amazon Unlimited. Which makes me think that they removed music from the service that is included with your membership so they could sell it again under Music unlimited. Nothing stops Amazon from saying this song is popular, lets only make it available if you pay an additional fee. What expectations should paying customers have that songs under the plan they were sold remain available? We arn't talking about the company no longer licencing it. They are, they just raised prices after agreeing to a contract.

Should we expect any growth of the bundled plan now that an added fee service has launched? What expectations should we have about what we get from the music plan that we pay for in our $99 a year? Amazon music isn't free. It's $99 a year, but music that was once on it can no longer be played unless you pay more? Add this with their terrible treatment of students and I have a bitter taste in my mouth.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Most people aren't audiophiles, and either don't care, or can't tell the difference. I listen to music on my Echo at home all the time, and if I'm missing something great, I certainly don't know it.
You're right.

Listening to music on my Echo offers many advantages, even though I have a high end dedicated home theater/audio experience in a purpose built room.

When moving around doing day to day tasks at home, music is in the background while our focus is on the task at hand, or on conversations etc. Therefore it's the ease and convenience of Amazon Music as delivered by my Echo that's especially satisfying.

Amazon Prime in concert with my Echo is simply priceless!

A brilliant plethora of goods and services that is an amazing time and money saving system. By simply spending a few short minutes periodically, to program Echo, as ideas come to mind, it's functionality, usefulness and overall value has skyrocketed.

Echo controls my heating / ac / security inside and out, monitors refrigerator, refills groceries, pages Uber, plus serves as our central information center, communications hub, weather station and more. It's comprehensive abilities via IFTTT turn it into command central.

It's clever ability to pick out my voice even amongst several others talking is stunning. I can speak softly from sixty feet away amongst the din of other ambient noise and it executes my commands flawlessly.

Thanks Amazon:D

Reactions: npmacuser5

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I think it's the playlists and other user-specific metadata that locks in users and prevents switching on a whim.

I have a few dozen playlists on Spotify that I like, it knows my tasted pretty well with Discover Weekly and the new Daily Mixes, and I have all my favorite artists and albums identified. I would have to redo all of that if I switched.

That's a good point and these are indeed features designed to lock you in.

For many, money is a key deciding factor though and they are prepared to switch based upon their perceived value of content versus price.
[doublepost=1476355456][/doublepost]
This is why live gigs are so expensive now. Does however mean a lot of bands can self publish and miss out (one of the many) middlemen.

The actual plays do wrack up into some hefty royalties and Artist have a FAR larger reach than the old days of finding a 7" in an HMV.

There are many downsides for artists, but that is definitely one benefit of streaming tech - the reach to a global audience that was far less achievable with physical media.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I feel like the "echo only" price is a bit too high, especially if it only works with one echo. I guess it might be nice for people who have limited data plans so they don't stream in the car, but I don't think that overlaps with the demographic that owns an echo in the first place.

The $7.99 prime price is nice I guess...but they have to be significantly better than Spotify or Apple Music to justify switching.
[doublepost=1476278886][/doublepost]
Did you miss the echo dot? Stereo output to whatever speaker system you want. Way cheaper too.

I got clarification from Amazon Digital Services Support. The $3.99 subscription is not tied to one Echo device, it's just one Echo device at a time will be allowed to stream. That works for me.

I've got an Echo in my house as well as a Dot in the car plugged into a micro-USB charger and an aux cable to my car stereo. When I get in the car, I turn on the Personal Hotspot on my T-Mobile iPhone and off I go. Unlimited streaming gives me crystal clear audio from Amazon Music, Pandora, and iHeartRadio, and all with handsfree, voice control. If I want to hear music from my iPhone, I connect it via Bluetooth to the Dot. It's a lot better than using my iPhone as the media player, because there's still a little more interaction required than the Dot, namely launching apps and having to repeatedly unlock the iPhone, or if I want to run a different app, it won't cut the music, etc. And that makes Alexa easier to jump from service to service and song to song. Lastly, since "Hey Siri" is normally supposed to be tailored to one voice, the Dot can be controlled from any of the passengers in the car, which frees me from being the point person to the radio while I'm driving.

Best and cheapest add-on to a car.

Last edited:

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Seriously! How are artists getting paid at $3.99/month???
They are probably supplementing part of the cost with Prime. However, I doubt that many people will be using this as their only service, since it is so limited. There will probably be quite a few people paying for this in addition to another service, thus double dipping the same customer.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Meaning? I do use echo I have at least 4 in use and bought a bunch to give as Xmas presents!
A lot of people in this thread apparently have no idea that Amazon makes a cheaper ($50) Echo (Dot) that has an aux (and Bluetooth) output, so you aren't limited to the speaker in the device. I have two Dots and it is the only Echo I would even consider buying.

feature-techdetails-device._CB279217503_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.