Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
This is great news, I may actually upgrade now (have ATV3 currently).

Next question for those who have the ATV4 and Logitech Smart/Hub Remote (which uses a RF remote along with a base unit that does IR and Bluetooth), how well does it work since the ATV4 doesn't currently allow BT keyboards? I may continue waiting to see if Apple supports these (although since the ATV4 remote is what allows voice control, it may be another remote that ends up on the coffee table anyway).

I have a Logitech Home Hub and it works fine with the new ATV. In fact, I didn't have to do anything... I just unplugged my old ATV and then plugged in the new one: my Logitech remote just continued to work with the new one without problems.

I think the Logitech Hub is mainly using IR with the AppleTV... I never really understood why it wanted a Bluetooth connection as well...

As for dealing with the new ATV remote... Mine is still hanging out on my coffee table. It's a toss up whether I pick it up or just continue to use the Logitech remote. Siri is nice, but actually, the "cross pad" on the Logitech remote is a little more precise for selecting shows/movies.

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
Yeah, who didn't see this coming? If you have a service like this, you're shooting yourself in the foot not allowing it on Apple TV.
Don't forget that when the apple tv 4 came out, the vast majority of people blamed Apple for not having Amazon. As you know, around here, for many people, the MO is to jump to whatever conclusion feels right at the moment with complete disregard for the facts and with no desire to put in the slightest effort to learn the facts.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Why would anyone want Vudu? It seems to me that they offer the same exact product you can get on the iTunes store when it comes to rentals and purchases. Is there more to Vudu than I am seeing? Serious question, because I just don't know.

Personally, I prefer to avoid doing business with Walmart. And Vudu is owned by them.
Also when I worked at Walmart we got all of this for free.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
That would be really nice. I want to catch a few things on Amazon that are not on Netflix but I always end up being to lazy to change over to my Blu Ray which has the Amazon App--would be great to have it on Apple TV along with Netflix and the other apps I use.

ObsidianKt

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Why would anyone want Vudu? It seems to me that they offer the same exact product you can get on the iTunes store when it comes to rentals and purchases. Is there more to Vudu than I am seeing? Serious question, because I just don't know.

Personally, I prefer to avoid doing business with Walmart. And Vudu is owned by them.

Many Blu-rays and DVDs automatically come with vudu/ultraviolet digital copies when you buy them. Especially tv series like The Big Bang. Since i already have the digital copies through vudu, it would be great not to have to rebuy. Plus, vudu can actually stream the content, unlike iTunes which requires a full download for playback on most iOS devices ( while that last part isn't directly relevant to Apple TV, it's another reason that some people might prefer vudu over iTunes in general). Vudu/Ultraviolet is probably the current most universal as well ( by which, I mean available on all systems)

Also, random side note: once you own something in you vudu/ultraviolet library, it's yours forever via their terms. Technically that's not true for iTunes. Apple still expects you to download and back up everything you buy. Content can be pulled from the app stores by publishers to prevent streaming (although I assume apple is probably slowly fixing this in their newer content agreements).

Last edited:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

Next question for those who have the ATV4 and Logitech Smart/Hub Remote (which uses a RF remote along with a base unit that does IR and Bluetooth), how well does it work since the ATV4 doesn't currently allow BT keyboards? I may continue waiting to see if Apple supports these (although since the ATV4 remote is what allows voice control, it may be another remote that ends up on the coffee table anyway).

I have the harmony ultimate with hub and I didn't have to do anything when I upgraded from atv3 to 4 all the same remote commands work.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I ditched Prime. The bottom line is that I use it to get things sent to me on time, and Amazon is no longer capable of doing that. Their video offerings are sub-par anyway.

its pretty great over here in Germany. for 25 euro a year i get free next day delivery, unlimited photo backup, music and instant video which has shows that havent even aired on tv here yet. only one time i didnt get something on time and they gave me a 5€ coupon for that. plus offline movie / tv downloads!

Reactions: 69Mustang

Ottopw

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2015

I haven't tried my keyboard yet but the default Apple TV remote built into the hub works.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Many Blu-rays and DVDs automatically come with vudu/ultraviolet digital copies when you buy them.
Yup. That's why I have quite a few UV movies even though I haven't bought a single one on Vudu or any other UV store.
Plus, vudu can actually stream the content, unlike iTunes which requires a full download for playback on most iOS devices
Not really. iOS seems to do what's called progressive download (meaning you can watch while it's still downloading). The downloaded files will be automatically flushed if more room is needed later. It's basically just a different buffering strategy that makes very little difference from the user's perspective.

One issue with Vudu is that it doesn't stream or download in HD resolution on iOS devices.
Also, random side note: once you own something in you vudu/ultraviolet library, it's yours forever via their terms. Technically that's not true for iTunes. Apple still expects you to download and back up everything you buy. Content can be pulled from the app stores by publishers to prevent streaming (although I assume apple is probably slowly fixing this in their newer content agreements).
At least you *can* back up iTunes content. Even if we assume that UV exists "forever", the streaming providers like Vudu and Flixster can still pull the content from their stores, making it inaccessible to you UV rights or not. And already today there is UV content that is available in some stores but not others.

Reactions: jettredmont

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This is great, that eliminates my biggest problem with Apple TV. Now if they could do something about the touchy remote. I can't pick the thing up without bringing up the on screen display or scrubbing the playhead. Plus I always seem to get it upside-down unless I look at it.

Press the menu button and it will undo those unintended taps and bring you back to where you last left off. It's pretty nifty.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Dream scenario:

Amazon Prime with Siri search
Netflix to have Siri search added (or does it already)
BBC iPlayer

Then I'm happy.

Until then, I'm using my Amazon Fire TV more than my ATV.

Reactions: Laurence Eckert

size06

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Its actually 49 euro for a year. But still if you compare it to 10+€ per month on Netflix or Watchever it's a great value.

Can't wait to retire the FireTV.

Actually 25 euro a year is for students. 49 for anybody else...

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I was just giving family hints about a Roku being a great xmas present because the Apple TV did not support Amazon Prime video.

I think I may have screwed up .

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Rather interesting article given that a crap load of other articles found elsewhere on the net pretty much lays the "blame" squarely in Apple's lap. At best, maybe Apple had a change of heart but I too doubt that it was merely an oversight on Amazon's part to not create the app. Both Amazon and Apple are two heavy competitors in this venue of streaming rentals and purchases. I don't doubt that Amazon too has been a "bad boy" where the customer is concerned in its reaction and not providing what is needed to get Amazon Prime on some other devices out there.

mauka

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
Knowing Amazon will develop a Prime Video app tipped the scales and I picked up the last 32Gb Apple TV at the local Target store. Good sale price too, combined with Target RedCard discount the total was $111 and some change.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014

Because iTunes digital copies are few and far between these days. Vudu and iTunes are the best players. There are some areas where Vudu is better than iTunes and others where iTunes is better. There is a ton of information out there with comparisons of the two services.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
So it wasn't Apple's fault???

Shocking!!!

You have no idea what was going on between the lawyers, so take a pill.

Rather interesting article given that a crap load of other articles found elsewhere on the net pretty much lays the "blame" squarely in Apple's lap. At best, maybe Apple had a change of heart but I too doubt that it was merely an oversight on Amazon's part to not create the app. Both Amazon and Apple are two heavy competitors in this venue of streaming rentals and purchases. I don't doubt that Amazon too has been a "bad boy" where the customer is concerned in its reaction and not providing what is needed to get Amazon Prime on some other devices out there.

There is no doubt blame to go around. Apps for the major content providers involve lawyers and a contract. It's not some basement dweller with nothing to do submitting a fart counting app for approval.

Last edited:
Reactions: phrehdd

tafan

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
So it wasn't Apple's fault???

Shocking!!!

It'seems very possible apple caved in their demands to take cut out of every amazon sale. Everybody seems to think amazon, Vudu and whoever should get their movie app on the apple TV but seriously name all these devices not made by Apple that apple puts their movie app (Itunes) on? A person is better off today if they are not already stuck in iTunes and use a roku that not only does 4K but also is the one box to rule them all, if your not stuck in itunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.