Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Question

I need to pick up a new iMac this week, but I'm going to wait until after Wed's event before making the purchase. If Apple does release a new version of iLife, obviously an iMac that is currently in the store is not going to have it installed.

Does anyone know if Apple typically offers any sort of upgrade path for people who have purchased computers after they announce a new iLife version? or will I need to purchase the full version once it becomes available?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Seriously why would they call it 09 thats just dumb its all most 2011:confused:
They wouldn't.

Most likely, the German Amazon site operators used the existing iLife '09 page as a template for the future iLife product page. That's all.

You should use punctuation. It exists to make reading easier.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I need to pick up a new iMac this week, but I'm going to wait until after Wed's event before making the purchase. If Apple does release a new version of iLife, obviously an iMac that is currently in the store is not going to have it installed.

Does anyone know if Apple typically offers any sort of upgrade path for people who have purchased computers after they announce a new iLife version? or will I need to purchase the full version once it becomes available?

They usually tend to get the new software on them pretty quick. If anything you should just wait a couple days and it should have it. That is assuming the new iLife is actually released for purchase soon.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
iLife for iOS

Yeah, I know this is a MAC event, but I suspect the iLife refresh will introduce iLife for iPad.

Apple started with iWork for iPad to help get the thing into businesses. Smart.

Now with the iPad at WalMart, Sams Club, Target, and other outlets like Best Buy it stands to be "THE GIFT" this year. The existing apps are great, sure, but having iPhoto will be a killer app in your lap. iMovie's already done, as is iTunes. Now roll in Garage Band and iWeb and it's just that much more fun - and like the Mac itself.

This also dovetails with rumors that the new iLife won't have iDVD since there's no drive on iPads.

But I'm wondering if the One More Thing has to do with the cloud. Store it all there: Videos, apps, music, compositions, etc. If so, they have GOT to make it affordable. In my book, Mobile Me isn't worth it.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yay iLife 11 better be good! :)

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I'm such a geek. I get all excited inside when I hear rumors about a new iLife. I need to get an iLife.

nikokoren

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Im not sure what you people are talking bout..
Amazon.de has ilife 09 in their listings.. so what? Thats been out forever right?

What i find interesting is the ilife '11 and iphoto '11 book thats gonna be sold as of 1.1.2011!
The only thing its talking bout though is that ilife will be deeply integrated with sozial networks (like itunes was supposed to be) im not sure if they know that for a fact of if its just a guess.. just sayin!

It also says idvd will be scraped completely!

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
They usually tend to get the new software on them pretty quick. If anything you should just wait a couple days and it should have it. That is assuming the new iLife is actually released for purchase soon.

Ok cool. Thanks. Yeah, I realize it is all just rumor right now, but I figure it can't hurt to wait a few days to see what happens.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
iPhoto is already there, it is the Photos app. It supports everything that iPhoto currently does, besides tagging.

iMovie is on the phone and can be hacked to run on the iPad, but really requires an re-imagining of it's UI to really be "valuable" for the iPad.

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
Can't wait till Wednesday. I hope the iLife includes both Mac and iOS versions. Better intergration between the two. The iDisk access is all right, but there should also allow to use DropBox.

Even if they use the iWork site, make it easier to load/save documents from either OS.

EDIT: I realized I am talking about iWork not iLife.

So in the words of Emily Litella "Never Mind"

:confused:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
iPhoto is already there, it is the Photos app. It supports everything that iPhoto currently does, besides tagging.

that is exactly the point. iphoto on the ipad is next to useless. all you can do is stare at your pictures. no sorting, rating, tagging, renaming.

the idea is to use your ipad on the couch or on a plane and use the time to sort and tag your entire iphoto library instead of sitting on your desk. just staring on the pics doesn't really help. i hope they fix this!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Personally I think the current iLife is fine, not much needed to update, but I do think iWork is extremely out of date. It's slow to open from a cold boot and the feature set is limited.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
that is exactly the point. iphoto on the ipad is next to useless. all you can do is stare at your pictures. no sorting, rating, tagging, renaming.

the idea is to use your ipad on the couch or on a plane and use the time to sort and tag your entire iphoto library instead of sitting on your desk. just staring on the pics doesn't really help. i hope they fix this!
Sorry for being pedantic, but I think you meant to say "I hope they change this" for there's nothing broken. ;)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Personally I think the current iLife is fine, not much needed to update, but I do think iWork is extremely out of date. It's slow to open from a cold boot and the feature set is limited.

Totally agree with you.

I like the old iDVD function, as well. My iLife usage isn't crazed enough to notice any lacking content. iWork is a totally different case.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I know the rumor is about iLife but I'd like to see iWork '11, too. I think historically they've often been released on the same day or very close to each other.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
There wasn't a iLife '07 neither. So I guess introducing iLife 11 now would be fine for most of us.

This is very true. Calling it iLife '09 when it is clearly 2010 with only a few months to go is misleading. Not a very big deal, but to me it would seems that 10 or even 11 would be a better one to use.

timbos

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I just bought iWork last weekend to write up a paper. I hope I can upgrade if there's an update :(

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I just bought iWork last weekend to write up a paper. I hope I can upgrade if there's an update :(

From what I remember from the past is Apple does not give upgrade discounts for iLife/iWork if you recently bought the older iLife/iWork.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
iWork is my jam. I'll be really psyched if there is a major update released Wednesday.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Just a thought on the rumoured 64 bit-ness of iLife '11...

I understand that the system requirements will be Intel only, and Mac OS X 10.6.x installed.... but making iLife '11 64 bits only will say good-bye to a fair number of Core Duo Mac users out there.

Makes me expect 32 bits. TBO I can't really imaging which app in the current iLife suite will benefit from being 64 bits. iMovie maybe...? Could be if huge 1080p files are edited. We'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.