Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
All in all it was a good episode. The conversation with rick and Daryl in the pit was great. It’s so obnoxious how they are promoting ricks last episode. I don’t watch the previews but who could avoid the giant RICKS LAST EPISODE text? No surprise whatsoever for this I guess.

Reactions: iPhilPHX

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Absolutely ridiculous that everybody just walked away from the bridge assuming rick was dead.

But....damn great ending with Rick being taken away and a great time jump. Damn it damn it damn it I’m back on board with this show.

Reactions: CaptMarvel

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
That’s my biggest gripe as well...you just assume the worst and not look for the body post explosion?!

AND you mean to tell me no one saw that helicopter, no one?!

I will say though at least Daryl & Michonne’s emotion seemed somewhat believable after the explosion.

Moving forward, it’ll be interesting see how these movies Gimple speaks of play out in their own stories and how they tie into the larger story. Because there’s still much to be seen as the current story is told and Rick Grimes’ story post explosion as well...

Great episode though. I hope they do this time jump justice. It’s like a whole reboot, minus Rick Grimes but looks like an additional plus 10. Which might signal other main characters may die soon. (Maybe Zeke & Rosita heads on pikes ie comics?) Also heard Maggie may be taking a break soon as well.

Lastly/sidebar...seeing Beth’s body in the pile, hurt like reopening a wound. I still feel her death was absolutely unnecessary in the manner it happened, ugh.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wow, @CaptMarvel, how about some spoiler tags. I recognize at this point the comics and tv stories are different, but they seem to still be relying on the comic as a foundation for the story arcs. The time jump was a big surprise. I didn’t see that coming and agree that it feels like a reboot of sorts. I also didn’t like what they did with the whole Maggie and Negan thing. It signals to me that they plan to diverge from the comic storyline with Negan’s future.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Here's my thinking of the time jump: yes, it was cool when I saw it. I liked bad ass Judith. But how is this even possible, that they are still living like that, in fear of all these walkers. All the original walkers will have decomposed by then and how many new ones are going to be created. By then, they haven't figured out how to wall off massive amounts of land or live in tall buildings. Have a system where you sleep in locked room so if you die and turn at night, you are at least locked in a room? Talking walkers, spoiled a big should be crazy moment in previews!!!, might be cool right away but really? This won't be a huge jump the shark moment?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I can’t believe I still watch this crap. Way too much to even write about. God I wish I quit this show like I planned. You don’t have to run fast to get away from walkers!!!!! They can barely walk. Ahhhh. I wish rick died. Then I would have had an ending to his story.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I’m still on the fence about older Judith.

Richonne spawn! :eek:

Michonne’s scar aka new backstory?! :eek:

Negan rehabilitated :eek:

Don’t mess with Carol unless you want to get burned! :eek:

Whisperers did more talking than I anticipated :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: D.T.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

So the whisperers are walkers that talk or did I miss something?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Hahaha, nice, that was about my reaction, though my overall score was about a C, maybe a C+. The Scar is maybe some kind of ritualistic thing to mark how Rick was "killed"?

So the whisperers are walkers that talk or did I miss something?

You want spoilers? :p

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Hahaha, nice, that was about my reaction, though my overall score was about a C, maybe a C+. The Scar is maybe some kind of ritualistic thing to mark how Rick was "killed"?

Agreed as far at the rating.

I feel as the audience we were left with too much to fill in the blanks with or assume what happened with n the interim six years; no flashbacks or anything. On top of that, it was like they tried to cram updates on the main characters, three living colonies and new character backstories but also tease The Whisperers as the new threat/cliffhanger.

I get it though, they’re trying to reel viewers back in during this reboot period post Rick Grimes. Only two episodes left!

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

You want spoilers? :p

I think the scar was a gang or jail thing. Would tie in to her knowing how that woman had a prison tat and why she wouldn't answer her question which would probably have been "how did you know that was a prison tat?"

Not really on the spoilers but I thought the whisperers were people not walkers. I guess I'm wrong about that.

More I hated: the opening monologue, they've done that to death. How is there still a huge herd of pretty put together walkers? All the original ones should be decomposed by now and there should be no more en masse killings of people so where are these new ones coming from? Jumping off a tower because uh oh the ladder happened to break. Why not just stay up there and let the walkers pass? Priest kissing hot chick. ewww Characters saying: "that has happened since... you know." "Yeah, I know" Ugh, people don't talk like this. They say "this hasn't happened since Maggie ate her baby" or whatever happened that they don't want to spoil yet. the kid not listening and getting into danger. Never seen that on this show before.... They are out of plumbing supplies? Really???? There aren't a million places to get more pipes from? Home depot, mom and pop hardware stores, an amazon ware house, sears (the walkers started before they went out of business), other buildings? And did I mention you don't have to run to get away from walkers? Its like a bad horror movie, run run run, turn around, bad guy who is moving slowly is still right behind you....

Ugh, I need to quit this show...

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I really like this season. It feels somewhat fresh which is a huge accomplishment for a show that's in its ninth season. They managed to make stuff interesting again with the time jump, Rick and the whisperers.

The only thing I kinda want to quit is this thread. It's SO easy to nitpick and hate on every single little thing, this is true for any show or movie.I love those CinemaSins videos on YouTube, just trying to find every flaw. Not a great way to enjoy a movie though. Sure, TWD definitely has its flaws but you could also just enjoy the show for what it is. And if you don't, why don't you quit? @Mac'nCheese, not hating but just saying.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I really like this season. It feels somewhat fresh which is a huge accomplishment for a show that's in its ninth season. They managed to make stuff interesting again with the time jump, Rick and the whisperers.

The only thing I kinda want to quit is this thread. It's SO easy to nitpick and hate on every single little thing, this is true for any show or movie.I love those CinemaSins videos on YouTube, just trying to find every flaw. Not a great way to enjoy a movie though. Sure, TWD definitely has its flaws but you could also just enjoy the show for what it is. And if you don't, why don't you quit? @Mac'nCheese, not hating but just saying.
I have a problem quitting shows, I always want to see what happens. I quit, or so I thought, at the end of last season when the producers said the show could go on for decades. I only watched again since I heard Rick was going to leave the show and I figured, great, I will have closure with him.... but now he's doing movies and I was curious about the time jump. If I'm strong enough, I might stop at the end of this season and just watch the Rick movies. I can always ask people what I missed if I want to pick up again if they ever announce a final season.

I also do try to enjoy the show, the last few episodes were good enough. I do enjoy nitpicking it though, and do so here and at work with friends. Last nights episode was more than a nitpick for me, I was generally bored. Nothing changed in six years. Same old problems except walkers can talk and that was ruined for me with the coming attractions which I usually avoid but watched the one that gave that away for some reason.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I have a problem quitting shows, I always want to see what happens. I quit, or so I thought, at the end of last season when the producers said the show could go on for decades. I only watched again since I heard Rick was going to leave the show and I figured, great, I will have closure with him.... but now he's doing movies and I was curious about the time jump. If I'm strong enough, I might stop at the end of this season and just watch the Rick movies. I can always ask people what I missed if I want to pick up again if they ever announce a final season.

I also do try to enjoy the show, the last few episodes were good enough. I do enjoy nitpicking it though, and do so here and at work with friends. Last nights episode was more than a nitpick for me, I was generally bored. Nothing changed in six years. Same old problems except walkers can talk and that was ruined for me with the coming attractions which I usually avoid but watched the one that gave that away for some reason.

I get it. Just know that the whole place will burn down, Rick will return to save the day and so on and so on till season 90 when everything is exactly back where the show started in season one only to have the world fall apart for a second time in TWD Reboot Apocalypse 2: a story about a policeman who's just trying to find his family (again). You'll miss out on that, you will want to catch up and it will be quite hard to binge the whole thing. :D

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Well that episode was really slow...but I guess now the stage is set, mid season finale next week!

Still a little unnerving when they have to come up with forced events by bad writing because real life alters story line.

Maggie is on her trip that she was soooo against :eek: <—- Also Michonne’s reaction

Henry NOW mentions Enid (and with what seems liked forced lines after arrival) but when Carl was alive... :eek:

I know at this point in the comings this is where Carl shines, but it’s clear they are giving this arc to Henry
... but they shouldn’t give him the love story too :confused:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I don’t understand why michonne was so against going to the hilltop thinking Maggie was still there. Is this something that is supposed to be a mystery to us or is it still the negan thing? Because Maggie didn’t kill him, I figured michonne wouldn’t care about that anymore.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I don’t understand why michonne was so against going to the hilltop thinking Maggie was still there. Is this something that is supposed to be a mystery to us or is it still the negan thing? Because Maggie didn’t kill him, I figured michonne wouldn’t care about that anymore.

The only explanation I pondered was that maybe they had another squabble over the six years...anything is bound to happen over that length of time.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
The only explanation I pondered was that maybe they had another squabble over the six years...anything is bound to happen over that length of time.
I think you're, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. Obviously those X scars mean something too. They will really have to hook me during the next half of the season for me to stick around. Last night's episode was just boring. Fighting with walkers, been there done that. Seeing a friend as a walker, been there done that. etc etc
[doublepost=1542643367][/doublepost]
I just read this on another site but I am not really on board with it: "Meanwhile, Michonne remained reluctant to go into The Hilltop herself, still wary of Maggie. I think Michonne may still be upset with Maggie because she — like Daryl — was indirectly responsible for Rick’s “death.” Rick ended up in that hole because of his fight with Daryl, but he wouldn’t have gotten in that fight had Maggie not attempted to kill Negan, so Michonne may be holding a grudge against both of them. "

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Well that episode was really slow...but I guess now the stage is set, mid season finale next week!

Still a little unnerving when they have to come up with forced events by bad writing because real life alters story line.

Maggie is on her trip that she was soooo against :eek: <—- Also Michonne’s reaction

Henry NOW mentions Enid (and with what seems liked forced lines after arrival) but when Carl was alive... :eek:

I know at this point in the comings this is where Carl shines, but it’s clear they are giving this arc to Henry
... but they shouldn’t give him the love story too :confused:
Am I crazy or was Enid not in the last episode?

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I think you're, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. Obviously those X scars mean something too. They will really have to hook me during the next half of the season for me to stick around. Last night's episode was just boring. Fighting with walkers, been there done that. Seeing a friend as a walker, been there done that. etc etc
[doublepost=1542643367][/doublepost]
I just read this on another site but I am not really on board with it: "Meanwhile, Michonne remained reluctant to go into The Hilltop herself, still wary of Maggie. I think Michonne may still be upset with Maggie because she — like Daryl — was indirectly responsible for Rick’s “death.” Rick ended up in that hole because of his fight with Daryl, but he wouldn’t have gotten in that fight had Maggie not attempted to kill Negan, so Michonne may be holding a grudge against both of them. "

This makes the most sense. From Michonne’s point of view, she didn’t even know about the down the hole brawl/setup/ambush according to what we saw...UNLESS she had a conversation with Daryl post body search for Rick. So if she is holding a grudge, I think she’s still justified, she lost what was/would be her husband. And now she’s a single parent. No different than the grudge Maggie held for years after Glenn was slaughtered.

Am I crazy or was Enid not in the last episode?

Enid was there briefly. But I don’t think she was last week and I also wondered the same thing.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm pretty sure I'm out. I'll probably watch the movies about Rick to see what happens with his story but this week's episode was just boring and silly. Slow-mo fight scene was laughable, don't care about Henry at all, why are they making nails and screws when there are how many home depots that they can get a crap ton from, people still speaking in a way no one in real life does (well, you had it worse during that thing we will only speak vaguely about....). I think I will just read wrap ups on the net to keep up in case they ever decide to end this show so I can watch the last few ones and have some closure. Jesus give me strength---- oh wait.....

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I could totally be off base here, but it feels to me like they are taking the show in a direction where it can make a clean break, of sorts, with the comic book. Up to this point, the comic has been the foundation of the story for the show. They have made a few changes here and there along the way, but last season they began to make really big changes. In an interview somewhere, it may have been Talking Dead (I don't remember), Robert Kirkman said that he was making changes in the show to "correct errors" he felt he made in the comic. One example of this, was Rick losing his arm during the Governor story arc in the comic book. Obviously, they didn't do that in the show with Rick, but have incorporated something similar with Aaron just recently.

I think the writers want to have the freedom of not being tied to the comic. That's a risky move because they don't want to alienate the original comic fan base, but in truth the show has just about caught up with the comic anyway. So, they can truthfully take it wherever they want at this point. Sure, purist will always cry foul when the story is altered from "the original", but the creators have a bigger vision at this point. We all know the overall goal is to make as much money as they can by using the power of TWD universe to tell as many stories as possible across as many media platforms as possible. We now have the comic, two shows, multiple video games, and movies about Rick in the works. This is much bigger than the comic book at this point. And the target audience has evolved as well. It is no longer a comic based fan base, but instead a TWD universe fan base who immerses themselves into this world across a variety of mediums.

In all honesty, for me, a clean break would be refreshing. I don't like the feeling I get when it looks like they are retreading a comic story point or character onto a different character in the show, i.e. Henry takes over Carl's role, Aaron loses an arm instead of Rick, Michonne becomes a weird hybrid of Michonne and Andrea, Carol takes on elements of Michonne's role, etc. etc.

In order for me to continue to enjoy the show, I'm making a transition of sorts in my mind. Basically, I'm trying to see the show and the comic as completely separate entities. I think of them almost like different dimensions or, for you DC fans out there, multiverses. This way I can enjoy each of them on their own and stop the comparisons that naturally pop into my head. So, for me, bring on the Whisperers and let's get to the point where the show overtakes the comic in terms of timeline. This clean break will help stop the cognitive dissonance that is gnawing away at my ability to just be entertained and to enjoy TWD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.