Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I downloaded Luxmark v3.1 and completed the test, the results is 28985 (I even seen a bit over 30000 somewhere in the middle of the test) but I'm still not convinced about CPU bottleneck.
It's up to you to believe it or not. But I successfully predicted that your card is normal, and able to get ~27000 in Luxmark to indicate that your GPU is actually able to perform normally on the cMP.

I can't believe that only 1 core is used when for example playing games. Or that pcie ver2.1 is the bottleneck against pcie v3, because I'm talking for more than half speed lost 3200 vs 7000 score points on time spy of 3dmark.
No matter how many cores the game / benchmark can use, there is always a main thread. And if the multi threading optimisation isn't good enough, then that main thread will become the bottleneck.

You can run Unigine Heaven (Extreme preset). This will run the benchmark in window mode. So that you can watch Activity Monitor at the same time. You should able see a process that stay at a bit more than 100%. That's the sign of CPU single thread limiting.
Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 8.18.41.png

But if you do the same thing for Luxmark, you won't see the same thing. The CPU loading is very low and never reach 100% during the test. That's why it's so effective to avoid CPU bottleneck on GPU benchmark.
Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 8.44.14.png

I think I can check speed of the individual cores to see if any is saturated and compare.
You can try, but most likely it won't work, the CPU will try to balance the workload between cores (to balance the heat exhaust, therefore, reduce the chance of having thermal throttling on a single core). e.g. For a ~110% CPU loading process, you may see ~9% loading to each core, but not 100% on one of the core.

The CPU works at more than 3 millions cycles per second. Even the process is CPU single thread limiting, it can be...

Core 0 complete the 1st step computation at first CPU cycle.
Core 1 use the result from Core 0 to perform step 2 computation at the 2nd cycle.
Core 2 use the result from Core 1 to perform step 3 computation at the 3rd cycle.

And after a second, each core performed around 300,000 computation already, but you can only see ~9% workload on each core, nothing is saturated. However, since each step must wait for the result from the last step (which is from another core), therefore, the process is still CPU single thread limiting.

CPU single thread limiting is the process itself cannot utilise multi core effectively, but not the CPU will only use one core thread to finish the whole process.

looking at GFX benchmarks are like something is pulling the card back from time to time, and then speed up again for a sec or 2 to full speed, eg, FPS are at ~30 and suddenly fall to single digits and the up again as a loop. I think I can check speed of the individual cores to see if any is saturated and compare.

For comparison, my HD7970 that is a simpler design card without power managing (ie Power limits) when power is requested it sits at a constant 14~15 FPS without ups and downs on the same tests and you can feel its playable in comparison with the Vega. HD7970 scores at about 2100, so Vega does only 50% more on scores but I find it worst at watching the scenes.
Unfortunately, it can also be due to CPU too slow. As I said before, the GPU driver is also a CPU single thread process. If it isn't fast enough to feed / control the GPU in that 0.1 second, the FPS will drop. But you can't even see any CPU limiting process in activity monitor, because that only happen at a split second. The average CPU loading with the whole second is still low.

In general, whenever you see the CPU loading is more than 100%. That can be CPU single thread limiting, and not a good benchmark for GPU (at least not good not that particular computer).

Then why the HD7970 can do better (more consistent)? TBH, I don't know, but it may be because the newer driver (for Vega) is expected to run on a faster CPU, which our Xeon simply can't catch up. But the 7970 is the Westmere generation's GPU, the driver should be expected to run nicely on a Westmere GPU. Or may be simply the HD7970 has better driver optimisation overall.

Anyway, Luxmark isn't a good software to compare performance between GPU. e.g. The Vega56 clearly isn't 10x faster than a HD7970. So, don't compare the numbers between different family's GPU. That's meaningless. However, it's a good tool to check if the GPU itself able to perform on a computer (when no other limitation). e.g. In your case, we know the Vega 56 is working because it can get ~28000.

I'm still not convinced about CPU bottleneck.
Another way to check if you are CPU single thread limiting on those 3D benchmarks is by reducing the resolution.

e.g. If you get ~30FPS at 1920x1080. Then you reduce the resolution to 1280x720, and still just get ~30FPS. Then you further reduce to 640x480, but still only get ~30FPS. Then it's clearly not GPU limiting, but something else. [N.B. the FPS may improve little bit due to some objects may be missing in lower resolution, therefore, lowered the CPU's work load. However, if the benchmark is GPU limiting, the FPS should increase a lot when you lower the resolution like that]

In Windows, you can use HWMonitor etc to monitor the PCIe bus interface loading. I am quite sure you won't see it stay at 100% during those benchmarks. You can have a try.

If the problem is not coming from the GPU, nor PCIe bus interface, but the CPU loading is above 100%. Then I think we can safely assume the problem is coming from the CPU single thread performance.

StormLord

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Thank you very much of this detailed analysis, and yes, I do agree to all of these.
My only objection is, that core for core, the particular i7 (6th Gen) is only a measly 12% faster that the core of my X5675. I would find it very natural for a difference of up to 20-25%, but in my mind I can't explain the more than 100% difference.

Maybe the lack of AVX can magnitude the difference, and MAYBE the windows driver detects if there is AVX supported CPU or not and enable the futures accordingly, but still I want to find where is this lost potential :D

Maybe I should find an older PC, with like a 2nd Gen i7 so I can compare it apples to apples.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I just noticed the AMD Radeon PRO W7700. It's an x16 card with 190W TDP. That may be the most powerful GPU available for the 5,1 without Pixlas mod, but of course it requires Windows or Linux.

kmax3991

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2021
I just noticed the AMD Radeon PRO W7700. It's an x16 card with 190W TDP. That may be the most powerful GPU available for the 5,1 without Pixlas mod, but of course it requires Windows or Linux.
I personally would do the pixlas mod anyway. Our cMPs are old chaps now and some parts of the board might be stressed by this. And there are some pretty nice looking versions of the mod, even if one intended to leave the case open or have a glass cover.

Reactions: Tyson Sean

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It is a shame it won’t work under MacOS.

If only there was a way for enterprising individuals to build in support for these.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I just remembered RDNA3 GPUs require AVX2 anyways right? So need a 7,1. It looks like prices have come down a lot on those recently, so little reason to keep using 5,1 or older.

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
Bonjour à tous est ce que la W6600 RADEON PRO Blue nécessite d'être flashée ou pas pour fonctionner dans un Mac Pro 5.1 (je ne parle pas du flash pour le boot screen mais bien du flashage pour fonctionner )

merci

• Haha
Reactions: Rimmsi and mrkapqa

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Bonjour à tous est ce que la W6600 RADEON PRO Blue nécessite d'être flashée ou pas pour fonctionner dans un Mac Pro 5.1 (je ne parle pas du flash pour le boot screen mais bien du flashage pour fonctionner )

merci

Yes, the W6600 will need to be flashed.

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
Hello everyone, does the W6600 RADEON PRO Blue need to be flashed or not to work in a Mac Pro 5.1 (I'm not talking about flash for the boot screen but rather flashing to work)

Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello everyone, does the W6600 RADEON PRO Blue need to be flashed or not to work in a Mac Pro 5.1 (I'm not talking about flash for the boot screen but rather flashing to work)

Thanks

All NAVI 2x GPUs require patching the firmware. This one is a NAVI 21 23.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.