Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Georgem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Athens, Greece
Hi all,

I have simple question: Do american Wii games play in a European Wii system? It seems that they are much cheaper in ebay than here in Europe!
Thanx in advance!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
NO they dont. Nintendo decided to integrate region locking on it's wii system.

So basically USA / Japanese games will not work on your Euro wii.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not really as Wii USA games still dont have full compatabilty with a Euro machine even with WiiKey due to PAL/NTSC hardware differences.

Interesting. I don't own a Wii, just a PS2, but have no issues with running NTSC games on my PAL PS2 (they play in PAL60). Can a Wii not output PAL60?

Georgem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Athens, Greece
Interesting. I don't own a Wii, just a PS2, but have no issues with running NTSC games on my PAL PS2 (they play in PAL60). Can a Wii not output PAL60?

I don't know but as I recall, other consoles when turned on poped a screen and asked if you want PAL-50 or PAL-60, the Wii doesn't. Maybe you can set this in the system options though.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Wii does Pal60.
WiiKey offers partial compatability with NTSC games.
God knows why this is the case since my modded Dreamcast, PS1 and Xbox systems could all play imports.
Europe is a terrible place for a gamer to live.
Never drink warm Dr. Pepper.
It tastes like fizzy Benylin.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Not really as Wii USA games still dont have full compatabilty with a Euro machine even with WiiKey due to PAL/NTSC hardware differences.

Yah the PAL Wiis are kind of messed up when it comes to playing NTSC games, but last night i played a few PAL games on my US wii just fine (note that i do have a chipped wii.) They do have a program that can change the region of the disk you back up. so when you dump your game to get the .iso, you just send it through the program and boom, right to NTSC, PAL or JAP.

I got so freaked out last night though. People have been bricking their wiis lately. this happens because when say a guy with a US wii gets a euro game, some certain games have firmware updates higher than the 2.2U. So, if you update to a say, 2.3E firmware, your wii either bricks or you can only play euro games from then on. Luckily they have a program that can remove the updates from the dumped iso!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've actually reached the end of my teather with PAL wii. I look at release dates and such and it just peeves me off. Were paying more money for games that have been out for months in other territories.

So I'm selling it off cheap and buying a USA console so I can import titles and play my NTSC cube games without using freeloader.

I cant be bothered to rip and dump games just so I can play a legitimate imported game, all too much of a big joke tbh, so importing a machine seems to be the only solution, especially as the Wii Freeloader turned out to be bogus.

Though I'll probably wait till August before I spend more $$$ - to see if the iPod updates come out. I need a new ipod more than a new wii.

Drake Ace

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
European vs. American remotes for Wii

Okay, seems like they've ruined any possibility of us Europeans getting around high European prices on games. what about remotes? Does anyone know if a remote control purchased in the US would work on a European Wii?

Antares

macrumors 68000
Does anyone know if a remote control purchased in the US would work on a European Wii?

The US/Japanese remotes and attachments should all work fine on EuroWiis.

I've actually reached the end of my teather with PAL wii. I look at release dates and such and it just peeves me off. Were paying more money for games that have been out for months in other territories.

That's the premium you pay for living in Europe. With the higher standard of living, everything costs more. It's kind of a trade-off since you guys have more social programs and less available resources.

wmb

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
USA model wiiconsiole work in europe with usa games?

Just moved to Amsterdam from USA. Brought my wii consoile and games etc with me. Will this work here in Europe? I have a step dowen transformer to adapt the (electrical) power.

Mac-Rumours

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

wmb said:
Just moved to Amsterdam from USA. Brought my wii consoile and games etc with me. Will this work here in Europe? I have a step dowen transformer to adapt the (electrical) power.

I don't know 100% but I think as long as you get a HDTV that can play NTSC (or have brought your TV from the US) you should be able to play all your US/NTSC games but won't be able to play EU/PAL games without modding your Wii.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.