Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wyl

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Canada
After 1.5 years of owning my non-intel G5 I have filled the 150gb hard drive to the top (only 8gb left). and can not delete any more!

Can I go by "any" new 320gb HD, pop it in, copy the old hard drive to the new one... and then switch it's spots in the tower; re-boot and it work?

or is it a little more complicated? Do i have to buy a Mac compatible HD? how can I use the new drive as the main drive? DO I need to use the new drive as a main drive?

Am I asking to many questions?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You can install the second drive (any SATA drive will do). There is no pressing need to swap position of the drive physically, or to transfer your OS to the new drive. Both drives can work simultaneously.

What you may want to do is to move some of your data storage to the new drive -- its faster to have your data on a separate drive than your System. Search these forums or Google for instructions how to relocate your iPhoto and iTunes libraries. General data for most other programs can simply be dragged over to the new drive.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
After 1.5 years of owning my non-intel G5 I have filled the 150gb hard drive to the top (only 8gb left). and can not delete any more!

Can I go by "any" new 320gb HD, pop it in, copy the old hard drive to the new one... and then switch it's spots in the tower; re-boot and it work?

or is it a little more complicated? Do i have to buy a Mac compatible HD? how can I use the new drive as the main drive? DO I need to use the new drive as a main drive?

Am I asking to many questions?

yes
yes
no need to physically move it
no, very simple
no such thing!, any name brand SATA HD will do
system prefs >> start-up disk
if u wanna, yes, if u dont, ok too
no, thats what these boards are 4 :p

any mo ?'s :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.