Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
wait..
so if apple never released the iphone, then android phones would have been good old blackberry like phone, with a physical keyboard, a "call" button, and not one of those crappy touchscreen phone we've got everywhere?
well *****

I know you are saying that in jest, but too be honest, we wouldn't know better. So it would not have been a big deal.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
It's already interesting just how utterly secret they managed to keep all of the details - something else that seems impossible today.

No Twitter back then...or if it was it wasn't nearly as popular as today. Also, there wasn't any clue as to what they were building towards or how successful it would be.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
"What we had suddenly looked just so . . . nineties," DeSalvo said. "It's just one of those things that are obvious when you see it."

I think this comment in the OP is really full of loads of subtly. I think that this is what really well-executed design produces in a closed system.

It at once redefines existing motifs and dates them, while at the same time radically reorienting the existing paradigm.

Its not like the new design attacks the older ones - it doesn't have to, it merely forces them to look at themselves from a new vantage point. (i anthropomorphize for effect)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Apple were instrumental in getting the general public to accept that mobile phone business model though. They wanted control over the price points and presumably didn't want to fight AT&T over subsidies and profit sharing agreements. So much so that T Mobile now base their entire business model on transparently informing the customer of the true price of the handset.

Folks have been buying phones outright, unlocked and contract free for decades.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
That is correct. Excellent is the perfect word for it. :rolleyes:

I fully agree with the initial comment that it's an excellent phone and then some. And so do many critics and journalists in the tech industry. Oh and don't forget the millions of people who are currently to this day making the iPhone 5S as the best selling phone in each major US carrier. That's 7 years later from the original iPhone launch with the stiffest competition Apple has ever faced.

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
"Copyrights be damned, let's just copy what Apple did!"

- Google talking on their Blackberry to Samsung

:mad:

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
I know you are saying that in jest, but too be honest, we wouldn't know better. So it would not have been a big deal.

What would have been interesting to see is how the market would've played out between Google and RIM. RIM was the top dog at the time and many folks were into their crackberries. Maybe Apple should've waited till Google released their Android phone in it's original Blackberry-esque form and then presented the iPhone.

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Folks have been buying phones outright, unlocked and contract free for decades.

With the first iphone, Apple managed to get people to pay an unsubsidised price, whilst still signing up for an 18 month contract at a price similar to plans that offered free phones. So in essence, paying the subsidy, without getting any money off the phone price, that money went straight to apple... That was the difference...

cjboffoli97

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
Seattle, WA
Apple is the only one innovating

So this article is essentially about how Google went from designing a device that copied the Blackberry to a device that copied the iPhone. Imagine how exciting the tech world would be if everyone innovated as much as Apple did and brought to market their own ORIGINAL ideas. Then we'd have true choices, not just iPhones and watered down copies of iPhones.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Now we know the truth.
Android did copy the iPhone.
Enough said.

Sure, if you want to live in the dark.

In 2008, Android was a laggy, ugly and buggy iOS wannabe.

Now it's exactly the opposite.

True, sadly it became the opposite in 2011. It's been two years and we still have to deal with issues that iOS 5 had.

One of the biggest gripes i had with Apple when i had an iPhone was that I had to update every year, and update my OS to every new version just to get fixes for simple things that weren't always fixed with the new version.

Going from Android 4.2 - 4.3 fixed half of the things I hated about my Note 2. The other half deal with the junk that it is TouchWiz.

Its not like the new design attacks the older ones - it doesn't have to, it merely forces them to look at themselves from a new vantage point. (i anthropomorphize for effect)

Totally 100% agreed!

Everyone that it was in the know knew that the iPhone was going to usher in a new era of UX over feature set and for good reason. The Palm Treo was a good phone, but a PITA to use even for extended periods. It did EVERYTHING, more than what the iPhone can do now STILL, but setting it up and using it was like pulling teeth.

Ever phone maker was like, "Oh well ****, I didn't know people wanted a simple UI that actually helped them use the device."

Now, most of what we have on the market today is the best of both worlds. UX and features. Customers can take their pick of the litter with devices, apps, OSes, etc.

I fully agree with the initial comment that it's an excellent phone and then some. And so do many critics and journalists in the tech industry. Oh and don't forget the millions of people who are currently to this day making the iPhone 5S as the best selling phone in each major US carrier. That's 7 years later from the original iPhone launch with the stiffest competition Apple has ever faced.

Again, this still makes no point that I ever refuted.

Just because I stated a perspective doesn't mean I need you to chime in with your own perspective and back it up with loosely laid facts.

Not that you're wrong, just that you're addressing something that doesn't need addressing.

Those same tech critics and journalists in the tech industry also have opinions, and many of them say what I just say too. Many say that iOS is stale and many say they are leaving it for Android or Windows Mobile.

Even more say that iOS 7 is a total rip from Android.

In the end, it's all moot, because it's just perspective.

Good on Google. Seriously. They realized the revolution that was taking place in front of them and they grabbed a hold of it.

Contrast that to blackberry and microsoft who would victim to head-in-sand syndrome. Google played it right, despite all the copying.

Then there's palm... poor palm. They actually were relatively quick to release a modern looking OS (I think it was less than a year after android was released), but it just never took off. I never really used one, but it seemed really solid.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
So this article is essentially about how Google went from designing a device that copied the Blackberry to a device that copied the iPhone. Imagine how exciting the tech world would be if everyone innovated as much as Apple did and brought to market their own ORIGINAL ideas. Then we'd have true choices, not just iPhones and watered down copies of iPhones.

come on. why do people constantly say this crap

Apple stood on the shoulders of those before them as equally as people have stood on the shoulders of Apple.
Dont get me wrong. Apple had the right product, at the right time, with the right design and the right marketting know how to change the game. nobody is denying that.

But the world was already moving towards smartphones with touch screens. There were many on the market before the iphone, albeit maybe not as fancy or pretty.

The iPhone (Nor any other phones and technology) were not created ina vacume. They are the end product of years of industry advancements from the microcomponents to the overall design.

Apple might have been a catalyst to hurry on the storm of smartphones, but you can't say that smartphones wouldn't have gone this way on their own either

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
With the first iphone, Apple managed to get people to pay an unsubsidised price, whilst still signing up for an 18 month contract at a price similar to plans that offered free phones. So in essence, paying the subsidy, without getting any money off the phone price, that money went straight to apple... That was the difference...

Still no. When you bought a world phone from Sprint back in the day you still had to sign up for a 2 year contract at the same price.

It caused a lot of fuss back in the day, because people kept asking why their bill was so high even though the carrier didn't have to help them buy the handset.

Raylai328

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Yes, android is not so bad, however, it was just a copycat.

It Jobs brings the innovation and revolution .

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Nowadays every phone maker and their mother has caught up to or passed Apple.

Thanks, Forstall!

:apple:

Some people want a one-story house, some people want a two-story house. Some people swear by the utility of a second floor, some people desire the simplicity of a single floor.

Me, I'll take the one-story house. It's quite nice and perfect for my needs.

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Still no. When you bought a world phone from Sprint back in the day you still had to sign up for a 2 year contract at the same price.

It caused a lot of fuss back in the day, because people kept asking why their bill was so high even though the carrier didn't have to help them buy the handset.

In the UK, it was the first time anyone tried this model, and let's just say people didn't quite like it... The first iphone didn't do too well here...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
But I thought what the iPhone did was "obvious" so why did the android team have that reaction?

Where are the shills to tell us the iphone wasn't special and soooo many companies "did it first"...?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Then there's palm... poor palm. They actually were relatively quick to release a modern looking OS (I think it was less than a year after android was released), but it just never took off. I never really used one, but it seemed really solid.

Poor Palm indeed. They wasted their time with that Foleo junk, I think it was close to a million plus in R&D.

The Pre was VERY solid, and a precursor to Apple's ripped off multitasking and app switcher in iOS7.

The biggest problem with it at the time wasn't even the copout excuse of "lack of apps" it was that they never EVER released a true high end phone.

At the time, the iPhone was still the top contender, and Palm brought in some new ideas with WebOS and the Pre, but didn't really give us anything other than a third choice.

Oh, and only selling it on Sprint was a terrible idea.

In the UK, it was the first time anyone tried this model, and let's just say people didn't quite like it... The first iphone didn't do too well here...

That was very true.

Folks across the pond (and even in parts of the Caribbean) still don't understand how folks in the US deal with the torture of contracts and subsidy.

Others can say what they will about the rest of the world, but mid-range unsubsidized handsets are the way into the other 90% of the market

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Now we know the truth.
Android did copy the iPhone.
Enough said.

Confirmation for the many of us who argued that Google started its photocopiers the day of the iPhone announcement. And a refutation to many Android fans' claims that Google was already heading in that direction anyway and Apple didn't really innovate at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.