Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
These analysts must be living in Colorado and partaking in one of it's recreational choices.

Pure silliness. :eek:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
read between the lines here. It sounds like they'll make a tablet that can dock to a keyboard. When docked, it runs OSX. When it isn't docked, it runs ios. The file system is merged so you can open the same files in either interface.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
read between the lines here. It sounds like they'll make a tablet that can dock to a keyboard. When docked, it runs OSX. When it isn't docked, it runs ios. The file system is merged so you can open the same files in either interface.

finally, someone who understands!

this would be awesome!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
No, the analyst is completely wrong. Any resemblance to some future where the technology has advanced so far that mobile devices have access to the same power as other devices without serious power/weight/size issues is purely accidental. Besides, they're calling for it to happen in the next year. It's hard to imagine being more wrong.

The A7 is already slightly more powerful than an intel core2duo according to geekbench 3 benchmarks. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
LOL I wish I got paid to be this retarded.

I'd rather not get paid for not being that stupid :mad:

But really, he is claiming that Apple is going to copy one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes ever? After the world has told Microsoft what a big mistake it was? Does anybody think Tim Cook would copy a mistake that cost Ballmer his job?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
J.P. Morgan just settled a case with the Gov for $13 BILLION. In spite of that, the board then gave their CEO a 74% raise. You guys poke all the fun you want at the stupidity of analysts but their companies rule the world.

A few years ago, the core group of them ran the whole financial machine right to the edge of a cliff, got "our" government to immediately find $700 BILLION to bail them out and, that same year, paid themselves record bonuses. How many were prosecuted?

Remember what had them at the brink of collapse- that so-called "worthless paper" (insurance on bad mortgages) that many argued might be worth 10 cents on the dollar at best. What happened to all that paper? Apparently, the FED is using your tax dollars to buy that "worthless" paper to clean up the banker's books. Do you think the FED is paying more or less than 10 cents on the dollar? Do you think the FED is paying 100 cents on the dollar?

Lastly, remember "too big to fail"? That was the reason they had to be bailed out by the U.S. taxpayer (really by "our" government adding a huge loan onto the already-crushing debt). So naturally, once the bail out was successful, all those big banks that were too big were broken up right? Were any of the "too big" broken up?

Again, "stupid analysts" being stupid all the way to the bank.

Lol the FED is owned by the banks so what an achievement they gave themselves money out truly marvelous.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
It's a concept that's won Microsoft universal acclaim with Windows 8.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :D

Windows 8 was a reaction to the hampering of Windows Mobile on cross-compatibility (remembering WM5 on the Dell Axim).

There's a difference between API and GUI and touch screen menus are a minor GUI issue. What Apple has been doing seems the most backward: They are making OSX and OSX iLife/iWork apps look more and more like iOS apps. Instead Apple should share more of the APIs between OSX and iOS to increase compatibility from a programming standpoint. Ultimately Apple should have "Download once, use across devices" so even if you download from the iTunes Store, your Mac could run the app (and vice versa provided hardware requirements met).

fwiw I have worked on programming for Mac and iOS and know that what I am talking about is feasible. The advantage for Mac/iOS users is an expanded library of software. The advantage for Apple is an increased halo effect.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
iOS, which runs on the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and the 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV, shares the Darwin core and many frameworks with OS X.

Conversion is therefore possible. What I understood from the apple comments is that each platform (I.e., workstation, laptop, mobile, etc) has a different essence that must be preserved in terms of the user experience. Microsoft tried to make the experience the same on all platforms and that has not worked out too well.

I see no issues with the code converging further between iOS and OS X. But I would certainly have a problem making the UI the same. Let's not go down the windows rat hole. And I believe Apple knows better.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I'd rather not get paid for not being that stupid :mad:

But really, he is claiming that Apple is going to copy one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes ever? After the world has told Microsoft what a big mistake it was? Does anybody think Tim Cook would copy a mistake that cost Ballmer his job?

Microsoft's mistake was twofold:

1. they put an i5 in their pro tablet, making it weigh twice as much as an ipad air
2. they put a low-end ARM processor in their other tablet, making it unable to run any of their x86 programs and instead relying on an immature app store

If they used a slight amount of common sense, they would have realized that Intel sells an Atom processor. This is an x86 processor with the same power requirements, price, and performance as a high-end ARM processor. That is what they need to put in a windows tablet, as it can run all their millions of programs while keeping the weight and power down - minimizing the tradeoffs of both surface options. That is also why devices like the dell venue 8 pro are selling so well, while the surface is an obvious flop.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
One of the things that I like about Apple is that they make products that fit into niches.

For example, when the iPad came out people complained that it didn't really do anything that an iPhone or a MacBook didn't do.

But, different situations require different machines. When I work out at the gym, I don't want to haul a MacBook or even an iPad with me. A phone is the right tool.

When I'm browsing webpages at home, the phone is too small and having the MacBook on my lap is not as convenient as grabbing the iPad.

When I need to write a document the Macbook is the right tool.

Why does everybody want the computer equivalent of a swiss army knife? I want a tool that is specific to the job that I'm doing because it is going to do it really well. iOS and OS X are different tools for different jobs. Please don't try to shoehorn them onto one device.

Well said. I for one don't see a need for this combined platform and I don't see a need for an iPad Pro but I also never saw a need for the iPad when is first came out.(I was part of the is a giant iPhone crowd). I know have an iPad and use it when it I don't want to break out the laptop.

iPad Pro or some combined iAnywhere type? Who knows but I will wait and see.

That being said I will wait to see wha

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
the more and more people that continue to buy iphone and ipad and don't buy macs is a good time when something like this will be implemented. Which could be soon as things are moving toward a post pc world....

Imagine the main machine is your iPad Air. Can go with you everywhere and acts like an iPad Air does now with iOS, but when you get home you hook it up to your "docking station" and it acts like a macbook air etc.

man that would be awesome.

Who knows it could even be like a macbook air where the screen is an iPad....that'd be very cool too

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I see this as very much possible and why Apple decided to move to 64-bit architecture in the iPhone and iPad now.

The people who don't believe this is coming don't see the paradigm shift.

Microsoft, to its credit, saw the shift. It's just that Microsoft, being Microsoft, screwed up the execution. Microsoft in true Microsoft form decided to tell its customers what they needed and forced it on them instead of giving them a path to follow like Apple does.

You see, most people on this forum see a smartphone, a tablet, a laptop and television. But to an innovator, these are all just screens of a different size. Apples goal should be that the customer decides what screen fits his or her intended use best and the software then scales to the particular screen size.

Want to switch screen sizes, no problem. With all your data stored in the cloud, you just switch to the next screen and there is everything for you scaled to the new screen size.

Once this happens, when all four screens are running the same operating system, the next step will be to do away with the screen entirely. That's where a product like Google Glass comes in. You won't need a screen because the device will project the image directly onto your retina.

In fact, the device will even have the ability to hold an image in place. So you can have a room full of people and each of them can look toward a certain point in the room and see the same image. If they look in another direction, the image moves out of their field of vision.

jimstead

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
People are mixing ideas here. Try looking at what Cringely is predicting on this subject. Bring some iphone of the future near the right kind of large display and the iphone can drive it. Like airplay but better.

One way to do this (assuming bandwidth, power supply, and performance exists to do it), would be to have both the cocoa and cocoa touch frameworks deployed on the device. When the iphone display is used it looks like iOS, when the big screen display is used it looks like os x.

How to deal with bandwidth to the display? How about the display has a GPU and window server running on it? The iphone sends it commands, not pixels. Like how Display Postscript used to work.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
So analyst comes to that conclusion a week or so after Apple calls such a thing is a non-goal. Well done.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Unlikely given that Apple executives said during the Mac's 30th anniversary that the iPad's easier interface for the masses makes it more likely OS X will be improved for power users.

And that Motorola Atrix Dock is so elegant.

/s

Source? I must've missed that.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
J.P. Morgan just settled a case with the Gov for $13 BILLION. In spite of that, the board then gave their CEO a 74% raise. You guys poke all the fun you want at the stupidity of analysts but their companies rule the world.

A few years ago, the core group of them ran the whole financial machine right to the edge of a cliff, got "our" government to immediately find $700 BILLION to bail them out and, that same year, paid themselves record bonuses. How many were prosecuted?

Remember what had them at the brink of collapse- that so-called "worthless paper" (insurance on bad mortgages) that many argued might be worth 10 cents on the dollar at best. What happened to all that paper? Apparently, the FED is using your tax dollars to buy that "worthless" paper to clean up the banker's books. Do you think the FED is paying more or less than 10 cents on the dollar? Do you think the FED is paying 100 cents on the dollar?

Lastly, remember "too big to fail"? That was the reason they had to be bailed out by the U.S. taxpayer (really by "our" government adding a huge loan onto the already-crushing debt). So naturally, once the bail out was successful, all those big banks that were too big were broken up right? Were any of the "too big" broken up?

Again, "stupid analysts" being stupid all the way to the bank.

The government ran us to the brink by enacting the cheap money printing policies that fed was telling us were so great for the economy, encouraging reckless risk taking, and creating the moral hazard of bailouts in the first place. Without government intervention, these things never would have happened we would have been much better off then, and we would be much better off now. It's not their fault for adapting to the system the political machine put into place. If you guarantee that a bank won't fail then you take away their fear of risk and recklessness risk taking is the direct result of that. Blame government. Wall Street is a symptom, not a cause.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
hahaha thats probably the least elegant solution I have ever seen to a problem. Not to mention iCloud and the iTunes store makes most of the point moot.

what does "running as a full blow computer" mean exactly anyways?

These analyst guys are worse than a rumors board!

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
MARK MY WORDS...this will happen. BUT not in the way the analyst describes. Your iPhone will eventually run two OSes. You use it as a phone, it runs iOS. You insert it into a "lapdock" and the iPhone's CPU, RAM, GPU, etc. are used to run OSX, which will either reside on the iPhone (depending on storage capabilities when this is finally a reality) or additional storage within the "lapdock". Apple will also think up some clever way to integrate the two so they're not completely separate; you'll have a seamless experience transitioning between the two.

Glad I'm not the only one that views this as the logical future of computing. I may with disagree appleken on the specifics but sooner or later, as technology advances, our "laptop" will stay in our pocket. Sure, we'll need a screen of some sort (TV, iPad esque portable, etc. - whatever is handy/available) and then some form of input (mouse, keyboard, touch screen - any and all), but if computing is truly to be "mobile" (and I believe it will be) we WILL do away with separate OSes and the phone will become your "Personal Computer."

P.S. I laugh at the idea that this is 12-18 mo. away.

wlad

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
London
I haven't read much commentary for this but I tend to agree with the analyst, the technology seems to be here in order to provide efficient docking solutions, others tried it, if Apple will do it it will be really good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.