Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zunex

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Hi. I'm an analyst. My initial figures were completely wrong, and as such, I am now correcting my initial prediction with a prediction.

I love being paid to tell lies.

Haha well said :D A prediction about a prediction LOL

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Do you even know if they make iPhones at that factory? I'm guessing not.

The silly thing about these stories is that Apple always sells through launch inventory, so if analysts get the number wrong, it's because they didn't properly estimate launch stock in the first place.

In this story, an employee confirms it does indeed assemble & make parts for the iPhone 5.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This story doesn't make any sense. Since when does any company not count sales until they are delivered? Credit cards are charged when orders are shipped. Do we really think that they are tracking each shipment and not counting the sale until its delivered? I'm not buying it. These analysts are just trying to come up with some way to cover their butts for being so far off on the numbers.

But there could be a lot of people whose orders are still processing (i.e not shipped) and I would assume Apple can't count those as sales because the customer has the opportunity to back out of the sale right up until the point th device ships.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
AHA!

Nothing more than collusion to affect (drop) stock price. I'm VERY curious if the original analyst that reported 6million + estimate bought more Apple shares since the $15US drop this morning.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Sell AAPL

This correction makes absolutely no sense for two reasons:

* just like this year, not all pre-ordered iPhones were delivered on the first day last year which makes 4 to 5 million units comparisons fair
* these analysts knew all to well that not all pre-ordered phones will be delivered on the first day. They actually trumpeted the fact that first day delivery preorders were sold out in one hours.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I believe the 5M number is light because every store I went to in the Minneapolis area this weekend was sold out. I went to Apple stores, AT&T and Verizon stores and none of them had any models in stock. At the Verizon store they told me they sold out by 9AM on Friday morning. If this was an issue of less demand wouldn't there be phones available in stores? And why would Apple's website (and Verizon too) show 3-4 weeks shipping estimate, and AT&T with 12-21 days?

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
This story doesn't make any sense. Since when does any company not count sales until they are delivered? Credit cards are charged when orders are shipped. Do we really think that they are tracking each shipment and not counting the sale until its delivered? I'm not buying it. These analysts are just trying to come up with some way to cover their butts for being so far off on the numbers.

This has been Apple's accounting practice for quite a while. It doesn't recognize revenue from online sales to customers until those customers receive the product. From Apple's 2011 10-K:

Net sales consist primarily of revenue from the sale of hardware, software, digital content and applications, peripherals, and service and support contracts. The Company recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of the Company’s product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped. For online sales to individuals, for some sales to education customers in the U.S., and for certain other sales, the Company defers revenue until the customer receives the product because the Company legally retains a portion of the risk of loss on these sales during transit. The Company recognizes revenue from the sale of hardware products, software bundled with hardware that is essential to the functionality of the hardware, and third-party digital content sold on the iTunes Store in accordance with general revenue recognition accounting guidance. The Company recognizes revenue in accordance with industry specific software accounting guidance for the following types of sales transactions: (i) standalone sales of software products, (ii) sales of software upgrades and (iii) sales of software bundled with hardware not essential to the functionality of the hardware.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
There's a reason ASS is in the middle of ANALYST ASS UMPTIONS. They make up numbers to suite their own agenda. Most of the time from half assed ASSumptions.

beejpowers

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Burke, VA
Less than the 4S?

It's weird that they think there are constraints on the 5 compared to the 4s.
I was in Radio Shack on Sunday to buy unrelated parts. While waiting in line another customer asked if they would have the 5. The employee held up the box to one he was activating and told them they had all of them. With the 4s I was trying to get some for my family and no one had ANY for 4-6 weeks. I had to order all of theirs through Apple. And I'm in a suburb of Washington DC, it's not like we have a small population.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
I was at Chicago Apple stores Saturday around Noon and they had both non-colors and both carriers in stock.

I believe the 5M number is light because every store I went to in the Minneapolis area this weekend was sold out. I went to Apple stores, AT&T and Verizon stores and none of them had any models in stock. At the Verizon store they told me they sold out by 9AM on Friday morning. If this was an issue of less demand wouldn't there be phones available in stores? And why would Apple's website (and Verizon too) show 3-4 weeks shipping estimate, and AT&T with 12-21 days?

FarNorth

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010

Pretty clear that Apple has ramped up their production facilities and are building 10s of thousands per day.

I missed the pre-order sellout by 3 minutes, first order didn't get in until 12:56 on 9/14, second at 1:03. I ordered a third phone from A T & T at 10 am on 9/14.

That was 10 days ago and Apple has been cranking them out day and night.

All 3 phones will be delivered today.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
My question: why hasn't Apple already fixed those production/distribution problems? They keep breaking their own records with each product launch, and still get sell outs and repressed demands at each new one. Wouldn't it be logical for them to expect to sell more units, and thus prepare/manufacture/distribute them accordingly?

Anyway, well done once more, Apple. Here's hoping I can get mine by simply walking into a store by the second week of October.

Manufacturing capacity isn't something that can be enhanced overnight and Apple has certainly been adding capacity.

Perhaps Brazil will be one of the places that Foxconn will will continue to expand its Apple production into?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's all fine and dandy but when will Apple be selling unlocked phones?

Officially in the US in a few weeks. Unofficially, you can buy an AT&T model "device only" and it will be unlocked. That's what I did on Saturday. The Verizon model, whether on contract or off contract, also appears to be unlocked for GSM.

----------

I was in Radio Shack on Sunday to buy unrelated parts. While waiting in line another customer asked if they would have the 5. The employee held up the box to one he was activating and told them they had all of them. With the 4s I was trying to get some for my family and no one had ANY for 4-6 weeks. I had to order all of theirs through Apple. And I'm in a suburb of Washington DC, it's not like we have a small population.

That's one store. However, the AT&T stores around here in NYC were pretty much out of stock and had no idea when more were coming in. I got lucky and snagged one at Grand Central Saturday afternoon a few minutes after a shipment came in, but earlier that day they were turning people away saying that they had sold out of the AT&T model.

In general supplies appeared tight.

omyard

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
My question: why hasn't Apple already fixed those production/distribution problems? They keep breaking their own records with each product launch, and still get sell outs and repressed demands at each new one. Wouldn't it be logical for them to expect to sell more units, and thus prepare/manufacture/distribute them accordingly?

Anyway, well done once more, Apple. Here's hoping I can get mine by simply walking into a store by the second week of October.

Each launch they make more of each item and launch to more countries simultaneously. They're also changing or adding supplier partners on key items. It's impossible to have a 100% flawless supply chain with the scope of work they're doing.

Even right now the riots at the Foxconn facility could negatively impact iPhone 5 production and that is out of Apples control.

This year 5 million people in multiple countries received a new item. That's impressive. More people are still waiting.

What other type of product has the same demand with the same fulfill rate? Only thing I can think of is software, but pressing a disc and boxing it or uploading to a server for customers to download is a far less complex supply chain than manufacturing a physical only device that has to ship worldwide after being assembled with parts from multiple suppliers.

Short answer, Apple can't fix the distribution problems. Apple does everything it can to meet consumer demand, but consumer demand always out reaches Apples capacity. What Apple already does is impressive.

odvan

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Well some day some time new launch wouldn't break any record because market would be almost full. I've been in NY where 2/3 cell phones are iphones - how far can apple expand this market? There is a narrow room for improvement.

omyard

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010

Some retail channels dry up quicker than others.

Based on what I saw I could say no stores around me had the iPhone 5 available. That's an assumption based on what I saw over the weekend, not an accurate representation based on polling each retailer in my area. I'm sure there were some stores that had some because they didn't sell or got a second shipment in.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
This is just the analysts covering their asses.....

"Well, I said 10 million, but because it was only 5mil, here are all the excuses I can come up with as to why I was so off and so wrong."

Analysts are fools who never seem to get it right.

Ethan

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Oh, look at those analysts dance!

But it's a lot of iPhones no matter how you count them.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
whoever listens to these analysts are fools. Why do people keep citing this one guy who is himself long on apple. Talk about stupid.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
My question: why hasn't Apple already fixed those production/distribution problems? Wouldn't it be logical for them to expect to sell more units, and thus prepare/manufacture/distribute them accordingly?

What would you say if your boss asked you to produce 1/2 of your annual output in less than a month? It's not financially feasible to equip a manufacturing plant with people, equipment, and supplies needed for that one crazy month, and then lay-off 3/4 of the people and have the plant run at 1/4 capacity the rest of the year.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
They don't refuse shipments because they reduce quantities ordered first. I don't think that's much of an issue with Apple products.

It's what resulted in their miss in the July earnings. Basically, the quarter ending in April had seen 35 million shipments and the drop to 26 in the quarter ending July was in part because of overstock.

Retailers simply made less orders and kept selling the old stock from the earlier quarter, resulting in that drastic QtoQ drop in shipments.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

THey actually make more money by selling out and selling fewer phones. Because their production line is sized for the normal demand which will go way down in a few weeks and then remain steady. So in order not to sell out Apple would have to run the production line but place the phones in storage. This means. Weeks of paying to build phones and zero income plus the cost to store the phones the double the transportation costs. It is much cheaper to not store the phones and better to get paid days after the phone is built.

So Apple only builds and stores "enough" phones so that first week sales can look good and no more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.