Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A prequel to the Rogue One Movie. Watch 3 episodes and decide if you are hooked. I’m excited when ever I see something that (infrequently) appears Star Wars worthy!

E694108F-4313-4F5F-8EBC-31CFB44DB313.jpeg
Some Andor links (by virtue of context, the second is a spoiler):

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A prequel to the Rogue One Movie. Watch 3 episodes and decide if you are hooked. I’m excited when ever I see something that (infrequently) appears Star Wars worthy!

Andor is a good show. I've been waiting for the last two years or so since they announced it for it to be released.

Cassian has been in this fight since he was six years old. I wanted to hear more…

Reactions: Huntn

Deedeekay

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2021
:D

Gotta love how the ultimate leader of the resistance set up her own husband to explain away her account transactions. :)

Perrin's no prize, but Mon threw him to the wolves to get them off her trail.
Umm… that’s the Rebels.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
:D

Gotta love how the ultimate leader of the resistance set up her own husband to explain away her account transactions. :)

Perrin's no prize, but Mon threw him to the wolves to get them off her trail.

Yeah, but he is kind of a dick.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, yes it is.

But wait until you get to the finale. Because it gets better than this.
In the StarWars Universe after a multitude of flubs, the number is mind blowing (evil Disney/Abrams ;)), I’m really appreciating this because even though it is a prequel, it is showing that it is actually possible for new meaningful ground to be broken.

Yet, I’m still waiting for some worthy story post Episode 9 to appear. For that, they just can’t keep regurgitating old story ideas and expect the audiences to show up, at least not the old viewers who have been there from the beginning.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In the StarWars Universe after a multitude of flubs, the number is mind blowing, I’m really appreciating this because even though it is a prequel, it is showing that new meaningful ground can be broken. Yet, I’m still waiting for some worthy story post Episode 9 to appear. For that, they just can’t keep regurgitating old story ideas and expect the audiences to show up, at least not the old viewers who have been there from the beginning.
That's down to Tony Gilroy, who has stated that he is not a Star Wars fan. His writers were instructed to curb their enthusiasm and write stories that focused on the characters. And it shows.

Gilroy has a five year time period before the end of season two leads right into Rogue One. The first season was getting Cassian to that place where there's something he puts a higher value on then himself. It will be interesting to see what's next.

For the record, Denise Gough (Dedra Meero) took her role because of the writing, even though she does not appear until three episodes in.

• Love

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for the reminder to check this show out. I’m always excited to get a new piece of the Star Wars universe and while the more recent output isn’t as great as the old stuff to me, it’s at least better than the Star Trek stuff that’s being provided in the last couple of years.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's down to Tony Gilroy, who has stated that he is not a Star Wars fan. His writers were instructed to curb their enthusiasm and write stories that focused on the characters. And it shows.

Gilroy has a five year time period before the end of season two leads right into Rogue One. The first season was getting Cassian to that place where there's something he puts a higher value on then himself. It will be interesting to see what's next.

For the record, Denise Gough (Dedra Meero) took her role because of the writing, even though she does not appear until three episodes in.
I’ve made it clear that I’m happy with this series. I apologize for covering old ground, but it bugs me to no end. :)

We’ve got Disney/Abrams, an immense budget, ability to hire the best writers, and yet after the dismal Episodes 1-3, a concerted effort was made to recycle the original story, instead of finding a new narrative to propel the franchise forward. A blatant moral, creative failure/money grab. Shame on them. i remember Abrams touting how wonderful the new trilogy was going to be, bastardo… Ok, I’m done. :)

Reactions: eyoungren

c deerinck

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
I liked The Mandalorian, but The Book of Boba Fett was way too slow and I gave up on it. I started on Andor, and didn’t like it at first, it picked up steam around #4, but by the end of the first season, I now think it is even better than The Mandalorian. I rewatched from the beginning, and see what my problem was. You need to truly value each character for the ways they are different. I know that sounds lame, like a Hollywood virtue signaling thing (which I hate), but it’s the characters‘ natures that drive the story. From the drummer who loves his job a bit too much (rewatch his first scene) and who seems to be pointless, to the rebel with a dark motivation, to the security middle management guy beat down by his mother, to the overzealous Imperial Sargent, the repulsed politician, and many more. Every character is a legit piece of the overall story. Even a throw away like Timm, is integral to the story line. If you’re going to tell a backstory, do it with characters, and let us see their motivations. In this regard, Andor hits it out of the park. At this point I’d like to rewatch Rogue One with fresh eyes.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’ve made it clear that I’m happy with this series. I apologize for covering old ground, but it bugs me to no end. :)

We’ve got Disney/Abrams, an immense budget, ability to hire the best writers, and yet after the dismal Episodes 1-3, a concerted effort was made to recycle the original story, instead of finding a new narrative to propel the franchise forward. A blatant moral, creative failure/money grab. Shame on them. i remember Abrams touting how wonderful the new trilogy was going to be, bastardo… Ok, I’m done. :)
LOL.

In regards to Abrams, he later admitted that they had no plan. There was zero idea as to where the story was going to go by anyone. And that result also shows.

I too had also hoped that there would be something new. But they played it safe and now we're here. Perhaps you might not like the Mandalorian (I don't know if you do or not), but at least that series (and now also Ahsoka) are planned. Dave Filoni knows where his characters are headed - he's even thought out the very first conversation between Luke and Ahsoka, although it has yet to be shown.

When you have a plan, or at least a structure, then it goes better.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Andor Season One:
  • The writer is the most powerful person associated with a story (a surprising plot), director #2, actors #3.
  • Excellent writing and pacing.
  • The most menacing portrayal of the Empire with grit I can remember.
  • More than rebels and ships staging from an outlying base, home town rebellion.
  • Andor as a rebel, runs circles around Solo.
  • Honorable mention to Stellan Skarsgard and Andy Serkis.
  • Luthan Rael kicks the Empire’s ass!
  • I have a crush on no-nonsense Kaz.
  • Give me 4 more seasons, and make the episodes 1 hour each! :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Andor Season One:
  • The writer is the most powerful person associated with a story (a surprising plot), director #2, actors #3.
  • Excellent writing and pacing.
  • The most menacing portrayal of the Empire with grit I can remember.
  • More than rebels and ships staging from an outlying base, home town rebellion.
  • Andor as a rebel, runs circles around Solo.
  • Honorable mention to Stellan Skarsgard and Andy Serkis.
  • Luthan Rael kicks the Empire’s ass!
  • I have a crush on no-nonsense Kaz.
  • Give me 4 more seasons, and make the episodes 1 hour each! :)
Unfortunately, we get only one more season. Season two will cover four years and there is a one year time jump from the end of Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2.

Tony Gilroy has promised that no one dies off camera between seasons 1 and 2.

Looking forward to K-2SO!

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Andor is definitely a fresh of breath air for a Star Wars entry. There is a speech from Luthen that is one of the best written parts of TV that I've seen, gah.

I don't expect this show to "radicalize" viewers, but one could hope.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Andor is definitely a fresh of breath air for a Star Wars entry. There is a speech from Luthen that is one of the best written parts of TV that I've seen, gah.

I don't expect this show to "radicalize" viewers, but one could hope.
Luthen's speech reminded me of the War Doctor on Doctor Who…

"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame." -- the Doctor implying that he was one of those lesser men.

• Sad
Reactions: Gudi and Huntn

Deedeekay

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2021
No intent to start a fight, but I wonder why Resistance (animated series) got horrible audience reviews at both Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB? I’ve not seen it.
It’s a bit ‘kiddie’ and the stories/plot are very simplistic. Which is fine since it’s very clearly aimed at kids but also it just wasn’t particularly engaging.

Also, the main character is very annoying. He’s Force Sensitive without knowing it and manifests it as pure luck where no matter how absurd or even actively harmful his actions are to his allies, everything he does is right and works out for the best. So it was never very well received in the fandom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.