Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
An example from north european country (new sold smartphones):
Android 39%
WP 36%
Enterprise:
-WP 60%
- Android 22%
- iOS next below Android

WindowsPhone has sold quite good. Typical price for smartphones, sold here, is around 500 dollars (usadollars, and iP5s16gb is around 860dollars vs. S5 840dollars).

And rest of the european markets is abit opposite than shares in usa. In UK iOS sells better, almost 30% share, but rest of european countries iOS has only around 5-17% share. And something to see: ex-iOS customers have just under twenty procents share of sold Samsung phones and that is a quite high rate.

It is very interesting to see what happens in few years. Somehow I believe that WP grows, if they dont mess up it and where tizen goes. It probably eats more Android share than others.

What is that country's population and density? It may be good percentages but when you have individual states in the US that have higher populations than some EU states, it doesn't mean it contributes much.

Windows Phone, as nice as it is, just isn't going to take off. It's not bad at all, but there's just not enough consumer faith. Overall their global marketshare has been shrinking.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
What is that country's population and density? It may be good percentages but when you have individual states in the US that have higher populations than some EU states, it doesn't mean it contributes much.

Windows Phone, as nice as it is, just isn't going to take off. It's not bad at all, but there's just not enough consumer faith. Overall their global marketshare has been shrinking.

Yes it varies here, like I wrote that iOS in differend EU countries has a share from 5-17% but in UK almost 30. Still when looking the whole EU area iOS isnt so popular and iOS users may change their platform more often.

WindowsPhone will struggle of course, but here is something:
http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-gains-europe-loses-asia

And worldwide stats (WP is selling pretty good here):
http://cdn04.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/May-2014-Global-Sales.jpg

Last edited:

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Still don't really get the point of these types of comparisons, your comparing one platform sold by one manufacturer to the rest of the industry. So of course it should be substantionally less.

As long as the number of users justifies enough support from 3rd party developers to make the apps I want, I really don't care what the market share is.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I personally find Apple to be like the Starbucks of tech. I enjoy going to Starbucks very much, but $5 for coffee? I can easily get my own gourmet brand in the supermarket for similar pricing and it tastes better too.

Apple is more for the experience and not always about offering the best value. Quite similar to the Window vs Mac marketshare and argument. But I think iPhones will continue to dominate the US. Samsung is only 2nd there. In the US since it is carrier controlled, it is one of the few countries you can get iPhones for cheap because most people are on postpaid/carrier plans. Americans love their $199 iPhones (extra $70 tax) like Americans love eating McDonald's fast food and shopping at Wal-Mart. Not every iPhone owners eats at Spagu and drives Bentleys.

Personally for me, money is no object when it comes to phones. I can easily get iPhones but I got so tired of iOS restrictions. If a Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 5s were priced similar, I might pick the Samsung. Pricing is not the only thing restricting iOS to become more successful. People like me are also getting tired paying more for something that does half less. Proprietary software/accessories and crippled abilities like communicating with other devices (lack of OTG, lack of Bluetooth transfer, no expandable storage, no FM, ) are also what limits iPhones' growth.

Heck, I've owned four different iPhone generation models. I think the HTC One (M7) is better looking than ALL OF THEM. Yet, the One is in the box. Build quality is a superficial thing. Using the Mi 3 because of real life performance and better ability. Not as cute or as pretty, but I stick to performance and capabilities where I don't get purple photos or half battery life.

Beauty fades. Performance lasts.

Is a burger at MacDonalds a better value than a burger at Bobby Flay's restaurant? Apple is about what it provides in terms of it's customer support, upscale devices, features across platforms and quality of the apps (for the most part) in the app store.

There is no right or wrong here, MacDonalds (not withstanding it's current issues) sells more burgers than Bobby Flay's restaurant.

But there is no right or wrong here....just what your needs are. I frankly don't want an android device, I'm content with my overpriced, crippled iphone 5S. It does exactly what I need it to do and even though it's a year old, it still imo, does the best overall job for me.

----------

True, however a good majority of all those sales fall in subsidized countries (U.S. and U.K. for example), while very few iPhones are sold in any other countries. Hence, the small 'overall' market share. If the U.S. stopped subsidizing iPhones, you'd see sales drop by roughly 40%. Apple can't afford to have its single biggest cash crop do that in the U.S. (Technically they could, for a while, but not before taking a huge hit in stock price and devaluation.)

----------

No argument here, other than to add iPhones aren't financially feasible for a huge portion of the worlds population, including people in the U.S. without subsidization. My reply was more of a simple retort at playing devils advocate. ;)

Subsidies are going away. They are being replaced by installment plans. And even if installment plans went away, Apple would provide a financing service of some type; which is the exact same thing car manufacturers provide the buyer as an option when a vehicle is bought or leased.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yeah yeah.. BFD. Android is licensed by a ton of hardware companies releasing phones that cost next to nothing. Especially in third world markets such as SE Asia, Africa, E. Europe, and S. America. Compare the high end Android phone penetration vs iPhone and you will see a much closer story.

Are Germany, Italy, France or Spain third world countries?

----------

Subsidies are going away. They are being replaced by installment plans. And even if installment plans went away, Apple would provide a financing service of some type; which is the exact same thing car manufacturers provide the buyer as an option when a vehicle is bought or leased.

Well, you can look the countries where there are no subsidies in Europe.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I keep waiting for Android's market share to translate into consistent high quality third party apps, and I continue to be disappointed.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Here in Sweden (north europe) its more like 60% iOS and 35% Android.

Edit. Oh yeah, now when remembering, yes, i have heard that iOS has been popular in Sweden. I wonder why it isnt shown any reports.. They should also include north europe too in reports. Mostly the reports shows only EU5 countries.

Edit2. Swedish market share

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Prices, more OEM partners, and availability are not the sole reasons Android is still dominant.

If it was simply a price war, why hasn't FireFox OS not taken off with many sub-$100 smartphones? Or BlackBerry after a huge price cut for the Z10 after 18 months? Or Windows Phone hasn't increased their marketshare after the Lumia 520 with only more of presence in South America? Or Nokia/Symbian being once the leading OEM/mobile OS can no longer sell cheap Asha phones?

Android has improved on all fronts - hardware, software, apps, ecosystem. This isn't like 2010 when the same reasons is because they were cheap. Apple reports record sales yet Android continues to increase their lead. The Android vs iOS marketshare is starting to mirror the Windows vs Mac OS marketshare in the desktop/laptop segment.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Edit. Oh yeah, now when remembering, yes, i have heard that iOS has been popular in Sweden. I wonder why it isnt shown any reports.. They should also include north europe too in reports. Mostly the reports shows only EU5 countries.

I suppose because EU5 represents 318 million and all of the nordic countries with Denmark and Iceland represents just 25 million

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I suppose because EU5 represents 318 million and all of the nordic countries with Denmark and Iceland represents just 25 million

Yes but they should take the nordic countries as a one part in reports too. Nordic countries are quite differend than south european countries for example in many way. Now they exclude this area totally.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yes but they should take the nordic countries as a one part in reports too. Nordic countries are quite differend than south european countries for example in many way. Now they exclude this area totally.

Why? They are tiny, why not take into account Poland, Ukraine, etc?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Why? They are tiny, why not take into account Poland, Ukraine, etc?

There is already italy, france, spain and germany. Which represents the social-economy of the area very well.

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Either you pay in your contract or loan. It's the same thing for consumers.

Only if the carriers give you a real discount.

So far. Verizon doesn't discount if you pay full price or bring your own phone.

They only "discount" if u continuous go on the edge program. And I mean keep on the edge program by keep paying monthly. So when you pay off your phone in 20 months. Verizon will not discount you your plan.

kdarling

macrumors P6
True, however a good majority of all those sales fall in subsidized countries (U.S. and U.K. for example), while very few iPhones are sold in any other countries. Hence, the small 'overall' market share. If the U.S. stopped subsidizing iPhones, you'd see sales drop by roughly 40%.

Or more, judging by the low sales of iPhones (and no doubt any other high priced devices) in non-subsidized countries.

2013-oct-subsidy-effect.png

In 2013, Apple sold 150 million iPhones. Looking at regional sales charts, over 90% of those were sold in subsidized areas. That means about 135 million were obtained for free up to about $300 up front, leaving only about 15 million bought outright for the normal, high retail price.

In 2013, there were 750 million Android phones sold. High end ($500+) was about 30% of that (225 million phones), but I have no idea how many were sold in subsidized areas. I'll work on it.

People the world over simply don't want to spend more than about $250 on average upfront, subsidized or not. The good news for those buyers is that parts prices have dropped like a rock over time. Decent phones no longer need to cost very much.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Only if the carriers give you a real discount.

So far. Verizon doesn't discount if you pay full price or bring your own phone.

They only "discount" if u continuous go on the edge program. And I mean keep on the edge program by keep paying monthly. So when you pay off your phone in 20 months. Verizon will not discount you your plan.

Yeah true, but AT&T and tmobile give you a discount. For vzw customers it's a bit complicated.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It is also worth remembering that although Apple demand a higher upfront cost for a new iPhone on contract, your old iPhone often sells second hand for not much less. In the UK you can also negotiate prices down with the carrier if you know what to say. I've never accepted the first price the upgrade department have offered! They want your business and will be flexible.

I'm a first time iPhone user after years on Android so I was hit with the upfront cost. My wife is on her third iPhone now and the upgrade process is painless. When the iPhone 5 came out the upfront cost on her tariff O2 was £230. She sold her iPhone 4 for £215 on ebay so the cost was minimal. If you buy an iPhone soon after launch, they hold gold value over a 24 month period in my experience.

I couldn't really care less about market share, why do I need to worry about that? I buy what I like and what best suits my needs and choice is all that matters. I could upgrade next month to a flagship Android and pay £60 upfront for the phone while saving myself some money, but I like iOS now and am willing to pay a little more for a device that I enjoy using. :)

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Or you could say that it isn't surprising Apple sold 35 million phones in 1st world markets, considering you can go to Wal-Mart and get a 4S for free and a 5S for $99 on contracts. Gotta love those sub-$100 phones.

See how easy it is to 'spin' things to suit personal bias?

Total price still costs significantly more than a cheap Android, which can be purchased for less than $100. Those phones are primarily in markets like China, India and Russia, where phones run forked versions of Android.

And people decide to use this as an argument to claim the supremacy of Android. What a joke. :rolleyes:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Cheap android phones sells well around the world, not only in Asia or poor countries... The question is why to buy an expensive android phone or iphone when the cheaper phones can do the same basic things. Consider that there are families who buy phones to their kids or people who dont really need high-end phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.