Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Hey team! I'm new to the Android platform. Do you have any tips tricks or links to educate me on securing our phones? I am really starting to get concerned about the number of apps that seem to be requesting full access to private personal info such as phone call history for a news app and contacts for a video player etc. that kind of stuff is total BS! But I keep running in to this when downloading apps.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hey team! I'm new to the Android platform. Do you have any tips tricks or links to educate me on securing our phones? I am really starting to get concerned about the number of apps that seem to be requesting full access to private personal info such as phone call history for a news app and contacts for a video player etc. that kind of stuff is total BS! But I keep running in to this when downloading apps.
I am new, too. I was told to stick to the Play Store, and in my case Samsung store and to stick to name brands and reputable developers. You can try declining some permissions and seeing if the app still works. I was also told to go through and read the reviews and comments. See if there are any warnings and don't download apps that have few ratings.

I don't really want a lot of clutter so I've stuck close to stock apps and the bare minimum of Google apps and a few Samsung ones. Good luck. Which device did you get?

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.