Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
It would serve you well to know that Apple is public company and must do whatever they have to to make more money for their investors. I know we would like to believe that Apple is uber high end, they are in some regards, but they have numbers to meet and if putting out a cheap ass phone like this and then selling it as unique, which they will, then so be it. I can already see Sir. Ive talking his crap about starting over with something new in order to bring about something simpler, more refined. You know the drill. Apple does this like no one else.

The phone may be less expensive than previous iPhones, but I don't think it will be junk.

Apple sells on quality of hardware and quality of user experience. I don't think Sir Jonathan Ive would want to risk that brand equity. Not if he wants to stay on good terms with Mr. Cook, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Doesn't look cheap to me but...

To me it doesn't look that cheap. Maybe it reminds me of the old MacBook (G4) that was white.

The only colors I like in the iPod line, besides the white and black, are the code red and maybe the blue/green one but I haven't seen that in person.

----------

ePhone.

Remember the eMac? The cheaper plastic version of an iMac with a smaller screen?

I'd forgotten about the eMac, We had one in the lab back in 2005 or so. That lab had every model of Mac and 3 rack mounted Xserves. Those were the days. I say that because nowadays at work there aren't any Macs unless I bring one in.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I dunno. If it were just one or two isolated rumors stretched months apart, that'd be one thing. But when a bunch of pictures of the same design start poring in from various sources like this, they usually end up being real.

I agree, it's probably the real deal.

Not only that, it's likely to sell like crazy, since the value proposition is so much better than a metal iPhone.

I have no problem with the plastic construction, Apple is not one to cut corners. I bet it looks better in person than in the photos. This is one nice iPhone at a decent price.

----------

They already sell iPhones at WalMart.
Yes I know, that's the point... the cheap plastic iPhone is better suited to the Walmart demographic.

Especially in the "fun colors" the girls will love em.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
That is not low cost. $449 is "acceptable high end cost"

What sort of hardware do you expect to be in something below 449?

And if you describe anything half decent, what kind of profit margin would you expect if they sold it for under 449?

Sub 449 hardware is goes to be trash running ios7

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
The only colors I like in the iPod line, besides the white and black, are the code red and maybe the blue/green one but I haven't seen that in person.

I think you mean Product(RED). Code Red is an awful Mountain Dew drink. But I agree with you on the colors.

Autosaver

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
iPhone 3GS with the modern slimmed down look and capabilities. What's the problem here?

I'm probably going to get it when my cell phone upgrade option pops up. Having a free cheaper alternative to the iPhone 5s sounds great. It would theoretically be a bigger jump than from the 4 to a 4s.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
lol if this is real it shows Apple desperation, it looks horrible and has as much effort put into it as all the other minimal "s" design updates. Remember when there was just the iPhone and Andoid was just starting up, they have overtaken and what seems like from recent reports , crushed Apples smartphone lead!

I think this all because of 1 thing a LARGER screen! I didn't realize it and always defended Apple over Android, the apps, the OS , the quality etc until I went into a shop and held an S3 next to my iPhone 4 the difference is like chalk and cheese, it's stunning compared to the iPhone, all because of the screen estate, and no it's not too big , no matter how many fanboys say it is, it simply looks a lot nicer, bigger screen with a sweet curved glass front. I can see why anyone who's knows nothing about Apple or Android would choose it, there is no contest from looks alone.
Who really cares how thin an iPhone is, Apple have totally lost the plot and if they think brining out a cheaper version in the same form design will sell without increasing the screen size they are wrong!
I will keep my 4s until they do bring out a larger screen I see no point in upgrading to 5 or a 5s.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Bingo! It's a tricky game because in truth the new iPhone Plastic model will in all honesty do 99% of stuff that anyone needs. It's gonna be pretty much an iPhone 5.
The iPod Touch is already doing 99% of the stuff the iPhone does. It's all about the 1% it doesn't do. I'm antisocial, so I wouldn't miss calling. But leave out GPS navigation and I'm pissed.

And what about the missing camera in the new low-cost iPod Touch? Is it even a "real" iOS device, if it has no rear camera? Maybe buying last years iPhone for less wasn't such a bad idea.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Who really cares how thin an iPhone is, ...
I do. And I also care about width, height and weight. What I don't care about is Samsung and whatever they are doing to distinguish themselves from competition. Samsung is a hardware maker and therefore want's to put more stuff in my phone. But i don't wanna have stuff in my phone; I wanna do stuff with my phone. Apple is an experience creator, they want me to make use of their products. And I do.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I think the iPad mini is part of the answer here.
How?
Apple released the iPad mini saying they wanted a lower cost product but also one that did not compromise on quality. Hence the higher then expected price for it.

And the iPhone will be the same. Apple won't enter the bottom of the barrel with cheap garbage. If Apple make a cheaper iPhone, it will still have that Apple quality. Something this plastic thing does not.

If Apple do end up releasing this nasty looking plastic crap (anything is possible) I'll be very disappointed indeed.

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
I've started to think that this might be a terrible move by Apple. Soon there will be tons of cheap iphones that people don't care about everywhere. There'll be an apple product seen as disposable and it's going to take away from their top of the line extremely high quality product facade. They should have made these look a lot different or maybe even produced them under a different name. I really hope they release non-retina macbook pros with the haswell processors so I can get a sweet computer before they mess everything up.

Umm... welcome to capitalism, where never ending growth and consumption has been the name of the game for the past century?

There was no turning back when Apple hit the mass market with the iPod. The inevitability of it has been set in stone since then. Will it be their own undoing? Possibly but not for a while yet. The shareholders still need their pound of flesh.

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I have an issue with that lightening port. It just looks a tiny bit bigger and a different, less flush bezel to that of the iPhone 5 (white). Almost looks like a Micro USB port.

I think this might be a mock up for case designers.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I thought the original suggestion for this product was in the context of markets with less wealth to spend - China, India, etc.

Perhaps this iPhone, if it is a genuine Apple product, is destined only for those markets, and won't be released in Europe/US...?

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Perhaps this iPhone, if it is a genuine Apple product, is destined only for those markets, and won't be released in Europe/US...?

As others have mentioned, Apple needs a lower cost device that uses Lightning connectors. For that reason alone I think they will launch this new iPhone everywhere in the world.

The 4/4S cannot continue as they use the old 30-pin connector and small display. The 5 is probably too costly to sell as a budget device given the expensive manufacturing techniques. If Apple wants to keep or boost profit margins, they need to keep manufacturing costs down.

The option for multiple colors will ensure massive sales from younger people. Does anyone remember how popular iPod mini was? This new iPhone will IMO have similar popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.