Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
FoxyKaye said:
This is somewhat related to the ongoing thread re: Steve's cancer, but I read this article and thought, "gimmie a break..." :rolleyes: The short of it: Steve taking a month off means the end of Apple. :eek:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/02/technology/apple/index.htm?cnn=yes

That's silly. Any company as large as Apple doesn't depend on any one person. Yes his steveness provides vision but there are underlings with vision or at least who have been indoctrinated into the vision. Apple's course is set and if Steve were to leave it would be much the same for 5 - 10 years. And by much the same I mean they will be pounding out revolutionary products. After that it will be much the same as in pounding out bland retreads. Apple has at least 15 years of life unless they get someone knew at the helm with really bad vision.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if the u.s. government can survive fine while W took a month long vacation in the summer of 2001, i think apple will be fine. it's not like something went wrong soon after... oh wait.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Yeah, but from a foreign point of view W IS the biggest problem with the USA!

:D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Another way to look at the situation, the majority of the companies give their CEO a vacation each year. I think that most would get a month. That's not enough time for any real change to occur. As mentioned Steve like others set the vision. In this day and age Steve will be able to start corresponding by E.Mail very soon. :)

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Man anybody who thinks a US president gets even a single day of vacation even when they're "on vacation" sure has a lot to learn about government. :rolleyes:

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Leave it to CNN to predict that Apple will go bankrupt because of this.

I F***in hate CNN, for their prejudice against Apple, and their luv for Michael Dell and the DuLL computer.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Actually I disagree. I think it's a well thought out series of "what if's", and I see the logic in his statements. I also don't think it's at all a "death knell". Not at all, if you read it carefully.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
darkwing said:
Man anybody who thinks a US president gets even a single day of vacation even when they're "on vacation" sure has a lot to learn about government. :rolleyes:

but it's true that W has taken more "vacations" back in Tx or wherever he goes, than any other presidents. :rolleyes:

btw, i think the orig. article is pretty good and to the point. it's not saying steve jobs gone for a month -> death of apple. it's got a lot of good points about apple's reliance on jobs.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Let's not turn this to a political "discussion." This is about Steve, not W.

I guess with Stevie on vacation, there is nothing holding us back from the iPhone, video iPod, and NewtonX. Watch for them on Tuesday of next week.

Under his temporary command with Steve in a bed, the acting CEO of Apple today released a number of products that had been stashed away. Including a PDA, a cell phone, and a new Apple branded camera. Unfortunately for Steve he was unable to get out of bed to curtails these actions.

stoid

macrumors 601
Macmaniac said:
Under his temporary command with Steve in a bed, the acting CEO of Apple today released a number of products that had been stashed away. Including a PDA, a cell phone, and a new Apple branded camera. Unfortunately for Steve he was unable to get out of bed to curtails these actions.

Don't forget the Reality Distortion Field. You might have to get that clarified with Jack over at AtAT (new episode today BTW!) but the RDF should still be in effect to cancel that stuff out. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.