Another iPhone 1.1.1 Jailbreak Method

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 10, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

iPhone Atlas reports on another Jailbreak method that has been published today -- this time from the iPhone Dev Team. Unlike the previously described method, this Jailbreak does not involve the use of the TIFF exploit, which is likely to be patched in a future update.

The process is described as "somewhat involved" but well documented. All files are available at:

And involves the following process:

• Downgrading to 1.0.2 (if you are already running 1.1.1)
    • Preparing the iPhone for a jailbroken update
    • Performing a software update, leaving you with a jailbroken v1.1.1
    • Forcing v1.1.1 to mount read-write so you can access it
    • Installing SSH and BSD world
    • Activating with a Non-ATT SIM (not necessary if you use AT&T)
    • Patching SpringBoard to allow third-party applications
    • Clean-up

At the end of this procedure, you should have a 3rd party app enabled iPhone 1.1.1. More streamlined techniques are likely to come, and users should proceed at their own risk at this early stage.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2007
    Now that's more like it. A "non-Tiff exploit" method. It would be interesting to see who comes out with an simple installer method first.

Kudos to everyone involved.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2003
    In the Bowels of the Cosmos
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Its interesting that you have to first downgrade to 1.0.2 before proceeding. Wow 1.1.1 must have been a serious update
  4. macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    yah i hope it comes out fast though. Its pretty cool how they hack this thing so fast.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    ...........Where there's a will there's a way...........
  6. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2007
    NICE!!! When there is a GUI program for all this, I AM ALL OVER IT!!!!
  7. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    But, interestingly, you end up back at 1.1.1 when it's all said and done. Apparently we've found a nice way to take out the nastiest parts of 1.1.1 while still leaving the goodies.
  8. macrumors 68020

Jul 1, 2007
    Sherman Oaks
    Sounds like a massive waste of time and effort. I'm tired just reading about it.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    Seems an even bigger waste of time to post in a thread about it... maybe next time, don't???

I for one am very excited about this, thanks for all your hard work
  10. macrumors 65816

Jul 30, 2007
    Sin City, NV
    im waiting for apptapp

Well then dont read have choices in life for a reason
  11. macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2007
    wow, that was fast! i hope this one works just as well as the last.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2007
    Hopefully they'll come out with a way to restore the baseband for those of us that unlocked our phones and want to update.
  13. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2005
    Confirmed, PPC Leopard-559, using tiff exploit, iphonedev's iphuc-jailbreak.ppc to jailbreak, independence ssh installer for ssh and of course cyberduck!
  14. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    are all these methods of unlocking 1.1.1 for people who have not unlocked previously?

ie, i have a 1.0.2 iPhone which has been unlocked using the modmyiphone method..

bit confused here..
  15. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2005
    If you sim-unlocked your phone you will still have no phone. any other previous hacks should be fine and be overwritten. Do not install 1.1.1 if you have sim-unlocked ur phone.
  16. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    i still dont get it :(
  17. macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    If you have used a free program to unlock your phone (like anySIM), this is NOT for you

If you have a. used a payed program (iphone SIM free) OR b. use ATT then you CAN look into it (and proceed at your own risk)

The problem lies in the fact that, the free program (made by the iphone dev team) changed the baseband software (as i understand, that's the firmware which 'talks' to the GSM signals).
    The fact that the baseband is changed makes it not possible to ipdate from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 .. and you should wait.

hope this helps
  18. macrumors 6502

May 1, 2007
    IPSF already being able to unlock 1.1.1 iphone :)
    There will be free unlocking tool soon :) so wait, and dont pay for IPSF when the major credit is from iphone dev team who find the way to jailbreak :)
  19. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2006
    See, I tried to tell you guys this yesterday, but did you listen no.

The new jailbreak works great, and I'm glad I didn't have to use the tiff exploit. It's wonderful to have my doublepress home button and my beautiful 3rd party apps side by side.

BTW, iSplit works great on 1.1.1, so feel free to install it. New version out in a few days.
  20. macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2004
    if you did this, is there any way to get the installer app on there?
  21. macrumors member

Jul 22, 2007
    at later stages there will be absolutely no risk :)
  22. macrumors 68020

Jun 27, 2006
    MA, USA
    There never been such thing as "absolutly no risk". You are predicting the future, unless you are listening to Apple private conversations, I do not see how you can make such a bolt statement.

As I said before, just becuase 3rd party apps have yet to cause a brick, it does not mean that it will not happen.

You can always slip in the bathtub or loose your grip no matter how much you work at it, S%^* happens.
  23. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2005
    Umm... you can always restore the software. The only thing that can't be restored is the modem baseband, which can't be changed/run in the phone. 3rd party apps will never permanently brick your phone and never will. Only MacOS and XP sim-unlocking apps can brick the iPhone.

If you want to keep making that statment go ahead Eager, you obviously don't know what you're saying. If I can restore the software, and it works fine, I don't consider my phone bricked and nothing in the future could change the way the software restore works.

I personlly like the tiff exploit, I did it in 1.1.1. The other hack has to be done with 1.0.2 then upgraded to 1.1.1, I think the tiff exploit is much easier, you skip the first 10 steps and go right to getting R/W access.

There's no permanent risk now, just your time, and maybe having to restore a couple times.
  24. macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You shouldn't be reading this thread, your computer might blow up! S%^* happens!
  25. macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2007
    you are so wise EagerDragon