Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I'll start off by saying I did do some searching and found some help, but nothing I could even begin to try and accomplish. So here is my dilema.

I'm running a quicksilver dual 800 and a PC using winxp pro. I'm on dialup and I want to network the two together. Before people tell me to get cable or whatever. I live in the woods, no cable out here yet, maybe in the next year or so, but yeah, stuck in the ice age until the cable company finds us out here. My PC only has a dialup modem, no ethernet. The mac obviously has both. Now with my questions..

1. Is it possible to share the dialup connection? So both computers can be online at the sme time.

2. Is it possible to network these two using only the dialup modems? I've heard of using airport express, but spending that much money is kind of scary.

3. I think I read a little bit about just hooking an ethernet cable between the two. Putting an ethernet card in the PC wouldn't be too tough and would seem like the cheapest route.

So any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. i just got the modem for the apple and I'm turning it into my personal computer and I really wanted to free as much of it up for editing. It's just too easy to use the mac instead of the crappy PC which is slow as hell, guess I should break down, get a mac mini and get rid of the PC once and for all...

thanks guys!
dustin

fuzzai

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2004
Canada
yeah its possible. i have done it.

what you need first would be a HUB and network cards in each computer.

if the computers can talk via network. thats step 1.

Next step. is on your PC that you are using the dailup on. humm IN WINDOWS 2000! ( in winxp it may be different and you may have to search for it) if you go into the network connections if i remember right. you can right click on it. go to properties, and there's 3 tabs if i remember right. one should allow you to Share the INTERNET. all you have to do is put a check mark on that. apply and you should be sharing your connection..

(the above is either an option on your lan settings or the dailup settings in the "my network" places...id have better info if i was at home. im at work and everything is locked down. LOL)

NOW being on dailup. dude, its gonna be slow! :D
but im sure you knew that right? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.