Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smy168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
so, i wanted to know if anyone had any software advice with regard to protecting my new iBook. i used Norton on my PC, is it as effective on MACs?

xoreu

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
Most people will say that there is no need for an antivirus on a Mac. I'm one of them.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
No, do not use Norton on your Mac. not only is it not necessary, but it has been known to be buggy and is a proven reource hog on OS X. If you reallty want protection there are other alternatives out there, but in general, as long as you are behind a firewall etc. you should be fine. :cool:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Your iBook does not need any antivirus software, as there are no viruses for OS X out there. Norton will only bog down your system and provide you with no benefit.

If you frequently exchange files with Windows users, you may want to consider a free lightweight antivirus program like ClamXav to keep you from passing along viruses to your PC-using friends. Your iBook is safe though, at least for the time being.

DrStrangelove

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2006
Although you'll see the anti-virus and internet security suites sold in Mac stores, I've been told by employees at my store that they're actually instructed to advise AGAINST the running of any such software.

I just got a Mac last January. Welcome to computing-- isn't it beautiful?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Just enjoy working on your computer and not having to bog it down and suck up system resources with anti-virus, anti-adware, anti-spyware, etc. software. :cool:

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
Welcome to your Mac. No need for Anti Virus software.

O, and it's Mac, not MAC.

simple, newbie mistake ;)

smy168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
haha, yeah, I'm pretty shocked at what this thing is like. I'm used to things being complicated and refused to believe that removing a file requires a simple step like dragging it to the trash instead of going in and uninstalling it.

Got the system for my girlfriend but can't seem to stay away from it.

So outside of the firewall, I'm pretty much set right? I only ask because I was DLing on iTunes and left the house, when I came back in it was DLing an additional song that I didn't buy and got paranoid that someone was in my system.

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll be annoying you guys some more in the next few weeks.

Steven

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yep, just address the firewall issue and you'll be fine. As for the iTunes d/ling thing, I've never heard of that before, so something else must have happened.

Also, a friendly suggestion for you - when asking questions here on MacRumors, don't use useless ambiguous thread titles like, "another newbie question". Make the title descriptive and applicable to what you are inquiring about so that members know what you are asking about. :cool:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
so, i wanted to know if anyone had any software advice with regard to protecting my new iBook.

Protect it from what? First you need to identify a problem before you go looking for solutions.

If you are talking about protecting it from data loss then I like "Retrospect Express". It is shipped for free with many fire wire hard drives and works well. In spring Apple will include something like this with Leopard but you need an external drive for back ups in any case. Find one that bundles retrospect and use that.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
so, i wanted to know if anyone had any software advice with regard to protecting my new iBook. i used Norton on my PC, is it as effective on MACs?

Norton anti virus?, Ibook?. They dont make much sense, in the same sentence. You're cool man, enjoy not having to use anti-viruses. Welcome to the world of MAC. Think different.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.