Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
We all know that if you have an external bluray drive, you can rip the contents of the disc ( THAT YOU OWN)and convert them to mp4 for playback on a mac. This has sparked a question.
That question is this; can you point VLC ( which can read M2TS files) at the bluray drive and play the disc withouth ripping it. I haven't purchased an externnal bluray drive yet or I would try it myself.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
We all know that if you have an external bluray drive, you can rip the contents of the disc ( THAT YOU OWN)and convert them to mp4 for playback on a mac. This has sparked a question.
That question is this; can you point VLC ( which can read M2TS files) at the bluray drive and play the disc withouth ripping it. I haven't purchased an externnal bluray drive yet or I would try it myself.

Not by itself: because VLC doesn't have the means to decrypt a Blu-ray. You can use MakeMKV, which is supposed to have an on-the-fly mode which will serve the decrypted Blu-ray as an HTTP stream that VLC should be able to play. But I haven't tried it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.