Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SouthernMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I have spent many a hours getting my itunes library just the way I like it. Now, I have had a processor fail on my and I am putting together a new machine. I know that I am going to have to reformat my hard drive and start fresh, but when I rip my music back to my computer am I going to lose all of the associated album art etc?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I have spent many a hours getting my itunes library just the way I like it. Now, I have had a processor fail on my and I am putting together a new machine. I know that I am going to have to reformat my hard drive and start fresh, but when I rip my music back to my computer am I going to lose all of the associated album art etc?

Yes.
What iPod are you using? From what I understand the iPod touch and iPhone won't work to put your music back on your computer. if I were you I'd get a new hard disk as your main drive and use the old one as an external to transfer your old itunes library. and if you can somehow boot from that drive that would allow you to deauthorize your old hard disk from your iTunes account.

SouthernMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
5.5 generation... I have transfered songs before, but I couldn't remember if I lost all of the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.