Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
OMG

that rabbit has got to be one of the cutest things i have seen here on macrumors...he he

i used to babysit for a lop eared bunny and that thing tore up the house and tried to eat thru a concrete wall...i should also chime in to this computer talk but this pix made my day

bunnies have a weird way of making computer people digress though

i am on the crazy life path of working on my PhD in computer engineering and whenever i get together with my PhD computer science teacher friend, we pop open some bottles of wine and before we know it, all talk becomes related to bunnies

our wives join into the banter and before we know it, we are all in bunny land

thank you, deadlybreakfast for the picture...you don't eat bunnies for breakfast, do you?

anyway, bunnies rule:p

Physiognome

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
That bunny was from getalife dot com, right? Apparently it was bought by an investment company.

If the stock market is your life, you committed suicide a few years ago.

Jagga

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2003
hamilton
Features of the Athlon64?

Just curious to what are the features of the Athlon64 compared to what we all know of the G5?!

Yes I know its a 32-bit chip operating like a 64-bit chip
Yes I know it can be paired in a Dual system setup but any higher? Also can the G5 be paired upwards just like the Opteron?

Should we feel threatened by a WInblows/linux setup with the Athlon64 towards a G5 with OS X?! In terms of Photoshop/AG Blast or like apps?

personally I feel that the average user whom uses photo editing apps like iPhoto, games (single-threaded), DVD authoring (FCE or iMovie), web-surfing, or email and Office apps, won't need a 64-bit chip. But from what I can tell of most of the members or even all OSX users for that matter that host their own sites via Apache/MySQL/PHP/HTML/etc can hugely benefit from a 64-bit chip supported by the OS. 64bit chips are king when it comes to database servers!

I'm still trying to learn XML, PHP, and MySQL to build my first site--a long endeavor I assure you--using what is already included with OSX!;)

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Re: Features of the Athlon64?

Originally posted by Jagga
Just curious to what are the features of the Athlon64 compared to what we all know of the G5?!

Yes I know its a 32-bit chip operating like a 64-bit chip
Yes I know it can be paired in a Dual system setup but any higher? Also can the G5 be paired upwards just like the Opteron?

Should we feel threatened by a WInblows/linux setup with the Athlon64 towards a G5 with OS X?! In terms of Photoshop/AG Blast or like apps?

personally I feel that the average user whom uses photo editing apps like iPhoto, games (single-threaded), DVD authoring (FCE or iMovie), web-surfing, or email and Office apps, won't need a 64-bit chip. But from what I can tell of most of the members or even all OSX users for that matter that host their own sites via Apache/MySQL/PHP/HTML/etc can hugely benefit from a 64-bit chip supported by the OS. 64bit chips are king when it comes to database servers!

I'm still trying to learn XML, PHP, and MySQL to build my first site--a long endeavor I assure you--using what is already included with OSX!;)

It doesn't "act" like a 64-bit chip, it is a 64-bit chip with the ability to "act" like a 32-bit chip.

-Natively (without any chipset additions) the Opteron can support up to 8-way processing. The athlon64, according to the amd website, will not support multi-processor natively, however since they will be introduceing it in the 940-pin chip (the same as the Opteron) I suspect it will support multi-processor. BTW, the Hypertransport that the G5 has, is borrowed tech from AMD.

Find out more here: http://www.amd.com

As with all things in this realm, if the person is already inclined to purchase Apple, they will. The Athlon64, I predect, will be great for gamers, and linux enthusiests. It's still iffy as to whether or not M$ will produce a version of XP natively 64-bit for the Athlon64. We know that there is an Alpha of the XP-64, we know that it is very easy to port applications to 64-bit for the Athlon64, the main question is: will there be a market here. I personally hope so, because I want to take as much money from Intel as possible.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Re: Features of the Athlon64?

Originally posted by sturm375
BTW, the Hypertransport that the G5 has, is borrowed tech from AMD.

Now, that isn't a very fair statement! Nor is it true. I'd like you to pay a visit to the Hypertransport Consortium, at http://www.hypertransport.org.

There, you will learn the wonders of Hypertransport, such as how the Consortium that developed it is actually made up of 47 members, including Apple, and was not solely developed by AMD. GYGYF! (Acronym replacing something rather impolite. If you got it, then you know it applies.)

I'm sure some of those companies didn't actually design the functionality of Hypertransport, but it wasn't just AMD. Who can guess what Apple put down as their company description? That's right, it's:

Originally posted by some Apple PR Person
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumer around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

Can anyone confirm how old that statement is? Is it like their mission statement from the early 90s?

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Re: Re: Re: Features of the Athlon64?

Originally posted by bobindashadows
Now, that isn't a very fair statement! Nor is it true. I'd like you to pay a visit to the Hypertransport Consortium, at http://www.hypertransport.org.

There, you will learn the wonders of Hypertransport, such as how the Consortium that developed it is actually made up of 47 members, including Apple, and was not solely developed by AMD. GYGYF! (Acronym replacing something rather impolite. If you got it, then you know it applies.)

I certianly didn't mean any disrespect by my statement, it's just that every tech document I've ever read concerning HyperTransport gives the vast majority of credt to AMD for it's development.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Features of the Athlon64?

Originally posted by sturm375
I certianly didn't mean any disrespect by my statement, it's just that every tech document I've ever read concerning HyperTransport gives the vast majority of credt to AMD for it's development.

Hehe, I just messin around dude. I don't really care. I just like to play up the drama of little things like that to make my life seem more interesting.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
bobindashadows, you crack me up!:D

sturm375, you're right about AMD doing most/all of the work. Almost all of the other members of the consortium were there to provide funding, spread risk, and make sure there was going to be a market after the tech was developed.

of course, fun fact, the AMD processor is being manufactured at the East Fishkill plant (next to the 970)

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Originally posted by legion
of course, fun fact, the AMD processor is being manufactured at the East Fishkill plant (next to the 970)

I don't think so. I am pretty sure it is being manufactured at their Fab30 in Dresden, Germany.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
sturm375, you are most likely correct.

My info is based on currently unsubstantiated info (the Register posted in December, SJ Mercury News in June, about the move to IBM to do AMD's production) The WSJ also posted in June that IBM is to produce AMD chips (pre 65nm, pre 45nm process) at Fishkill to fill out the space. However, at the moment, there is no concrete info (mostly business strategies) and Fab30 is AMD's only microprocessor fab (at 130nm/300mm), so it makes sense. Development for the chip, though, seems to have been soundly done at Fishkill (see press releases from both AMD and IBM.)

Along this thread, I don't know if arn has/will post this but the Register in today's edition is touting the possiblity of IBM just buying AMD (and also recapping the two companies' synergy)

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Originally posted by legion
sturm375, you are most likely correct.

My info is based on currently unsubstantiated info (the Register posted in December, SJ Mercury News in June, about the move to IBM to do AMD's production) The WSJ also posted in June that IBM is to produce AMD chips (pre 65nm, pre 45nm process) at Fishkill to fill out the space. However, at the moment, there is no concrete info (mostly business strategies) and Fab30 is AMD's only microprocessor fab (at 130nm/300mm), so it makes sense. Development for the chip, though, seems to have been soundly done at Fishkill (see press releases from both AMD and IBM.)

Along this thread, I don't know if arn has/will post this but the Register in today's edition is touting the possiblity of IBM just buying AMD (and also recapping the two companies' synergy)

I have heard these rumors as well (Business Stratagy Guesses). I think, I could be wrong, but I think the Dresden facility is pretty new, so I don't think they will be leaving anytime soon. Also Germany just gave AMD, and other companies, a substantial sum of money for helping to build up thier economy.

My predection for the future of IBM, and AMD is this: IBM will not directly buy out AMD. What they may do is have IBM do the majority of the R&D, while they outsource manufacturing to AMD. I know that AMD has pretty much dismanteled much of their R&D, to form a joint R&D team with IBM, in Fishkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.