Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Went into the apple shop yesterday (Birmingham uk) to get the parents a 21" iMac

Guy in the shop said that they could no longer get hold of the 27" iMac abs that the 21" was very very low stock and he'd have to order one in..

Doesn't this seen odd!

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
I didn't - but don't apple have a 30 day thing where if they release a new model they will let you swap it out

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
that´s a general rule US stores have to follow - not Apple. It´s not a global thing. Here in Norway, when you buy something in the store you have no rights to swap it in. Once you exit the store, you bought it and that´s that. So, I assume this rule doesn´t apply in UK either (?)

btw, yes its a good sign btw that new models are coming soon.

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I didn't - but don't apple have a 30 day thing where if they release a new model they will let you swap it out

Been in th Apple Shop in Glasgow and there is only a "2 weeks no questions asked return policy".

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
Been in th Apple Shop in Glasgow and there is only a "2 weeks no questions asked return policy".

I have replaced things like headphones in 30 days before without being faulty (they were rubbish and I was no fan). I thought it was, maybe just on accessories?

In Manchester a staff member told me he was waiting for the new iMac as well, and was intently reading the rumours and waiting.

Wilmario

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
I went to the store yesterday too, because I was sick of waiting and I could get an iMac with discount, which made it worth it. But the 27 inch model was out of stock and the employee did not dare to order a new one because he was not sure if he would get this model, or a new one.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
that´s a general rule US stores have to follow - not Apple. It´s not a global thing. Here in Norway, when you buy something in the store you have no rights to swap it in. Once you exit the store, you bought it and that´s that. So, I assume this rule doesn´t apply in UK either (?)

It's like that in Italy too (you wouldn't believe how messy it was to have a dead-on-arrival printer replaced in a major chain a few years back), but the Apple Online Store has posted this page a few weeks ago about returns: http://store.apple.com/it/help/returns_refund
You have 14 days to return stuff you bought online, by following a fairly standard procedure (get in touch with them, have them give you an RMA number, ship it back with that number) and they'll refund you within 5-7 days. You can even return software as long as the box hasn't been opened.

I have no idea if it's the same in the UK, or if Apple Retail Stores offer the same thing.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
In the UK, Apple stores and Apple's online shop allow no questions asked returns with a full refund up to two weeks after purchase (or delivery date). As long as you don't damage it, obviously.

As for the shortage of iMacs, in the past it has proven time and time again to mean nothing. But who knows, we are supposedly meant to see new ones soon. 

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Where was the first sign that new iMacs are coming. The 4 stores in my region are fully stocked with both models by the way.

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Could just be a lazy salesperson... I have a friend who works at an Apple store and he told me that toward the end of the day, if they don't feel like going through a major purchase/setup, they just tell the customer that new models are almost here LOL

Kind of like when the guy at the ice cream shop tells you the milkshake blender is "broken"

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
I went to the new apple store in bromley yesterday.....(absolutely packed!!!) anyway spoke to sales guy and he was telling me the 27 imac i was looking at was the new machine....i questioned him re 2012 model and he was admanat this was the new machines - It was the top spec granted, 3.4 ghz, 17 proc--etc but is was still the 2011 model!! They have got some in stock though..

i started to doubt my self - he was either really not up to date with his info or just lying to try to get me to buy the machine!!:confused:

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
I went to the new apple store in bromley yesterday.....(absolutely packed!!!) anyway spoke to sales guy and he was telling me the 27 imac i was looking at was the new machine....i questioned him re 2012 model and he was admanat this was the new machines - It was the top spec granted, 3.4 ghz, 17 proc--etc but is was still the 2011 model!! They have got some in stock though..

i started to doubt my self - he was either really not up to date with his info or just lying to try to get me to buy the machine!!:confused:

They are not allowed to speculate on whats coming out, or they are ignorant and kept in the dark. As far as the employee is concerned, that IS the latest machine.

AlphaMF

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Heresy! We don't go for that kind of talk around here buddy.

i only remember One post stating any speculation as fact. Believe it was a ridiculed post with the title: there will NOT be a 2012 iMac.

Everyone else are like: when? How? Why? Wy not? I hope! I think! etc.

Saying no one knows is pretty damn smart. Trying to put yourself in the same boat as the "no one knows" guy, when infact you're so sure of yourself is pretty useless.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Well,there are just 3 months then its 2013.
October,November?I bet/hope October but i'm not so confident,
the only thing i know is that i won't wait for Apple like this anymore,
they lost my trust and won my doubts,the only thing that makes difference
to me its their OSX ,well till they "toyfy" in some kind of I-SX chimera.

signatus

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Andalucía, Spain
It's gonna be October or 2013 : I strongly doubt there could a November release ... if it's not October, than it will be Haswell (though I fear that if it's not October, it could be "never" ...)

I don't know if there will be an October update (hopefully) or it will be in 2013. What I begin to be sure is that this one will be the LAST one. Whether it is in October or in 2013, I'm afraid there will be no more iMacs after that. The company (maybe the whole computing world, as a matter of fact) is turning into mobility.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
A model that has been around for a while with all teh bugs ironed out that is fast enough for you is better than a bleeding edge machine with uknown issues.

It will still come with a warranty, and won't instantly explode and become useless when the Ivy Bridge machines come out.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
A model that has been around for a while with all teh bugs ironed out that is fast enough for you is better than a bleeding edge machine with uknown issues.

It will still come with a warranty, and won't instantly explode and become useless when the Ivy Bridge machines come out.

That's true, but the rub is that they are priced the same as they were 500+ days ago. While you are still getting a machine that works fine, you are paying a premium for it compared to current competitive systems.

I think more folks would feel OK buying a mid-2011 model if is was discounted, but to pay full price for something that is no longer "current" from a spec standpoint is not a pleasant experience.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I don't know if there will be an October update (hopefully) or it will be in 2013. What I begin to be sure is that this one will be the LAST one. Whether it is in October or in 2013, I'm afraid there will be no more iMacs after that. The company (maybe the whole computing world, as a matter of fact) is turning into mobility.

If that's the case, as unlikely as it is, Apple would likely license out OS X.

This would make a lot of people awfully happy, including me. I imagine another company would step up and start creating sleek, well designed casings/monitors/etc.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.