Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adridder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
I have the 1.2ghz model .. for about 2 months. This morning over breakfast I see something moving on my screen. I try to wipe it. It stops moving, it's not coming out.

Now I have what looks like a dead pixel stuck in my screen. What the heck? After plunking down so much money you really don't want a bug stuck in your LCD. It's not moving anymore, about 1 millimeter in length and 0.3 millimeter in width. I'm just guessing ant but I don't know any ant that small. I have no clue what it is, except it moved like an ant.

I was loving this laptop but I can't imagine working on a dead pixel screen. Why isn't the LCD sealed? I'm very very sad right now.

What should I do?

Big Ron

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
United Kingdom
You should take it back to Apple for an immediate repair/refund, there really is no excuse. Don't delay.
Just make sure you de-authorise your Icloud/Itunes accounts and remove all personal data first.
I would also suggest doing a full time machine backup, then when you get the replacement you can just restore from that backup.

adridder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks Big Ron. I hope apple sees it the same way.
I'm traveling for the next 3 weeks, hope it's not too late.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Agree return it back to Apple. One of the attractions of the Retina MacBook for me is passive cooling as it wouldn't be the first time I`ve had to open and strip a Mac in the field to remove a bug from the cooling system, such is life in the Tropics

For reasons unknown to me these small creatures are seemingly almost hypnotically attracted to electronic devices, and will do their very utmost to set up home inside your Mac :)

Q-6

tbirdparis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2015
I have the 1.2ghz model .. for about 2 months. This morning over breakfast I see something moving on my screen. I try to wipe it. It stops moving, it's not coming out.

Now I have what looks like a dead pixel stuck in my screen. What the heck? After plunking down so much money you really don't want a bug stuck in your LCD. It's not moving anymore, about 1 millimeter in length and 0.3 millimeter in width. I'm just guessing ant but I don't know any ant that small. I have no clue what it is, except it moved like an ant.

I was loving this laptop but I can't imagine working on a dead pixel screen. Why isn't the LCD sealed? I'm very very sad right now.

What should I do?

That is some _very_ bad luck right there.. Good luck, hope they sort it out for you.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Agree return it back to Apple. One of the attractions of the Retina MacBook for me is passive cooling as it wouldn't be the first time I`ve had to open and strip a Mac in the field to remove a bug from the cooling system, such is life in the Tropics

For reasons unknown to me these small creatures are seemingly almost hypnotically attracted to electronic devices, and will do their very utmost to set up home inside your Mac :)

Q-6

It's nice and warm inside. What do you expect? Lets hope none sleeps inside the headphone port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.