Any Airport extreme for older macs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by scooterspud, May 31, 2003.

1. scooterspud macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know the card iself won't fit in the slot, but is it possible to create a working exteme card and have it work in older machines? Just wondering if Apple or a 3rd party will come up with something that can work, or is it a hardware thing that can't be worked on.

2. stuckwithme247 macrumors regular

offensive...please do not post things like this that may be considered offensive to some of our members... :rolleyes:

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If you have a laptop and it has a PCMCIA slot yes there will be 802.11g cards available soon. If you have a desktop mac you can hook a 802.11g router to it with ethernet.

4. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

mod edit

image removed...no need to repeat something offensive here...

Despite that being irrelevant, you may want to be careful with posts that may flare up arguments.

Are you sure you posted in the correct thread?

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

In the future just hit the report to moderator link and leave it. By responding to such a post you just help to carry on the stupidity. Glad to know that you felt responsibile to say something though.

6. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Any Airport extreme for older macs?

from what i understand, there's no way that you'll ever get an airport extreme card in an airport slot because the interface between the mainboard and the AP slot is slower than 11g speeds anyway.

Other than the PCMCIA thing, i think you can get firewire 11g dongles or something? I think i've seen some 11g dongles, but they're obviously not USB ones.

7. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

I wasn't sure if it was an over-reaction to do so, but thanks any how.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Don't worry about it. If you question it at all let the moderators know and if they feel it's important they will deal with it.