Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
On my afternoon walk in my neighborhood I hit dead spots where my cell tower signal just drops out and the video content I'm streaming just drops. This also happens when I drive around town and it's always in the same spots. I'm guessing it's a low signal from the cell tower.

I currently have the iPhone SE 3, but was wondering if the antenna on the iPhone Pro or Max was any better, so that I won't get dropped streaming content while on my walk or driving around town?

Additionally when I purchased my iPhone SE 3 I changed carriers from AT&T to T-Mobile and with AT&T and my previous iPhone (6S Plus) I never had this dropped signal issue.

I guess I'm trying to determine if it's T-Mobile or the iPhone SE 3

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
They have different modems, SE3 has x57, 15 Pro has x70 I believe.

Obviously changing carriers could have an effect also.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
They have different modems, SE3 has x57, 15 Pro has x70 I believe.

Obviously changing carriers could have an effect also.
I'm not a modem engineer, but I wouldn't think the modem would affect the signal cutting in and out, would it?
Wouldn't it be more of a factor with the antenna and the carrier + cell tower?

Additionally, I didn't have this issue with my iPhone 6S plus. But I was using AT+T, not T-Mobile

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Such a big difference will be carrier tower related. Different modems have effect on speed and power efficiency. But if you’re losing signal to the point where the stream stops outside a building, that’s a coverage issue.

Reactions: Homme

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Such a big difference will be carrier tower related. Different modems have effect on speed and power efficiency. But if you’re losing signal to the point where the stream stops outside a building, that’s a coverage issue.
Ya, that's what I'm guessing, but would a better antenna (iPhone 15 Pro Max) help to pick up a weaker signal?
I'll go and pick up a iPhone 15 Pro Max if I thought it would solve my problem.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Ya, that's what I'm guessing, but would a better antenna (iPhone 15 Pro Max) help to pick up a weaker signal?
I'll go and pick up a iPhone 15 Pro Max if I thought it would solve my problem.

I seriously doubt it would but the only way to know is try. The 15 series has additional antennas to counter interference and increase speed, but that's not what's needed here.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I seriously doubt it would but the only way to know is try. The 15 series has additional antennas to counter interference and increase speed, but that's not what's needed here.
I'd hate to have to go back to AT&T because their standard plans don't cover international without paying extra and signing up before I leave. With T-Mobile I don't have to do anything, just hop on a plane and when I get to my destination I'm already good to go. I don't have to pay any extra for text and 4G coverage and calls are 25c per minute. AT&T wants to charge me like $50 for an international plan then 25c per minute.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Could it be that you're on 5G now vs 4G LTE for the previous phone?

I don't have trouble with 5G on T-Mobile with a 2022 iPhone SE but there are still places where it isn't implemented well.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Could it be that you're on 5G now vs 4G LTE for the previous phone?

I don't have trouble with 5G on T-Mobile with a 2022 iPhone SE but there are still places where it isn't implemented well.
yes, that's what I mentioned in the OP. There are some dead spots for 5G in my town, but that's why I was curious to know if a stronger antenna (iPhone 15 Pro Max) would make a difference?

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Of course, without knowing why you’re hitting dead spots, it’s impossible to say for certain that a different phone would still be able to maintain a connection in those dead spots.

However, there is a substantial difference between the cellular subsystems of the three phones you describe:

The 15 Pro Max supports mmWave and 4x4 MIMO; the SE3 does not support mmWave and only supports 2x2 MIMO; and the 6s Plus does not support 5G at all.

And, yes, of course — the antennae will all be physically different. But do note that you, as a person talking on the phone, shouldn’t care at all about the physical design of the antennae; all you should care about is call quality and whether or not you have reception. Does it matter to you if the difference is in the shape of the antenna or the logic in the algorithm to do the encoding and decoding of the signals the antenna is transceiving?

In general, more and newer is better when it comes to radiotelephony. If you’ve got the cash for the 15 Pro Max, I’d suggest having it a go. Also consider that Apple has a generous return policy should it not perform to your satisfaction.

Cheers,

b&

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
yes, that's what I mentioned in the OP. There are some dead spots for 5G in my town, but that's why I was curious to know if a stronger antenna (iPhone 15 Pro Max) would make a difference?
I meant that 4G LTE is a mature technology and that 5G isn't. You should have dead spots in the same locations for the same carrier.

One thing that T-Mobile has is the 2.5 GHz frequencies that Sprint used for WiMAX. Frequencies in that range will not penetrate buildings easily, whereas 800/850 MHz frequencies could. Faster frequencies could be reflected. It depends on which frequencies were used to implement 5G. Thankfully, the 2022 iPhone SE doesn't have to deal with mmWave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.