Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Remember this? (from the Phillips web site, emphasis added by me):

Amsterdam, the Netherlands, September 10, 2002 – Royal Philips Electronics (AEX: PHI, NYSE:pHG) today announced further development in its continuing cooperation with Apple Computer, at the opening of Apple Expo in Paris.

Philips is already a key supplier of TFT-LCD’s to Apple, via its joint venture, LG.Philips LCD. Its products are used across the Apple product range, including the flat-panel iMac and 23-inch Apple Cinema HD display. In addition, Philips is a leading chip supplier for the Apple Airport, Apple’s cutting-edge wireless networking technology.

Apple Expo is the premiere European event for Macintosh community. In the opening keynote address by Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO, the audience heard by video from Philips’ CEO, Gerard Kleisterlee, that Philips plans to support Apple’s open-standard, Rendezvous networking technology for device connection over IP.

“Apple and Philips share a vision for the future,” said Kleisterlee. “We both believe that consumers want devices throughout the home to talk to each other, so that, for example, the music stored in iTunes on your Mac can play through the Philips stereo system in your living room, or the photos stored in iPhoto can be displayed as a stunning slideshow on your Philips Flat TV. Rendezvous helps realize this dream. We are particularly pleased that Apple has adopted an open standard and architecture for Rendezvous, and we will support Rendezvous in future Philips products.”

“No one wants any one company to own or control the core networking technology for the home, school or office,” said Steve Jobs. “Rendezvous is becoming a prime example of how open standards can drive innovation and quick adoption in a wide variety of products. Philips has been a good partner to Apple for some time, and we are happy that they have chosen to support the Rendezvous standard.”

Both companies have agreed to build on their supplier relationship and explore areas for further cooperation

I think all that would be very cool but I can't find mention of anything else on the Phillips web site. Aside from some printers supporting Rendezvous, is there anything else out there that does? I mean, anything else that would be good/cool for around the house usage.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
Series 2 Tivo supports it if you buy the Home Media Option.

Only 2 more weeks until I sign up for the Home Media Option. Wasn't Philips one of the original makers of the Tivo box?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Flowbee
Only 2 more weeks until I sign up for the Home Media Option. Wasn't Philips one of the original makers of the Tivo box?
Philips is the name on the Tivo. I just recently found out that there are several manufacturers. Philips does make some of them though.

I've posted this a couple times, but it's worth repeating if you're gettin Home Media Option--Tivo won't play AACs--strictly mp3. They say AAC support is coming but they don't give a timeframe.

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
Not really rendezvous, but Linksys announced a new wifi b media device which basically lets you stream mp3's and pictures to your tv and hifi, with the ability to control your mp3's and playlists from the tv via a remote control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.