Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markomarko

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi everyone,

I've put my powermac up for sale in the classifieds section of the site, but get the feeling that it is unlikely to sell here.

Can anyone offer me advice for selling on Ebay? I can sort out the reserve, and other basics, but I'm really concerned about not getting scammed, and would appreciate any tips on how to protect myself without driving away buyers.

I've also read many horror stories about PayPal. Would you recommend against it?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
What kind of paypal horror stories? i've used it for some time, never had a problem with it. it's a little expensive sometimes, but very convenient. i have taken to using it for a lot of other things...

pnw

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
I've sold a Dell laptop and a Sony minidisc player on eBay without any problems. For any high-priced goods, use escrow. EBay has its own escrow service, so take advantage of it. Avoid any other escrow services, even if the seller insists. There have been reports of fradulent escrow sites.

Insist on payment through PayPal. I think PayPal guarantees all payments made through their site (i.e. if the money turned out to be fraudulent, it's not your problem). You should double-check to make sure. Don't accept any COD (cash on delivery) and money orders. If you accept checks, insist on a two-week wait for the check to clear before shipment. And if you plan to buy, never, ever send payment through Western Union.

Just use your common sense, and don't get greedy. If someone offers a deal too good to be true, it probably is.

Good luck!

markomarko

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta
Originally posted by paulwhannel
What kind of paypal horror stories? i've used it for some time, never had a problem with it.
pnw

Well, if you go to http://www.paypalwarning.com/ you can see quite a few horror stories. Actually if you type 'paypal horror' in ebay, you will get a link to the aforementioned site.

Basically, I've read several stories where the "insurance" provided is worth as much as the paper it is written on.

Has anyone had paypal correct a problem for them?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Use eBay, just only specify money order or bank check. You won't get scammed if you get the cash up front. If you get a personal check then make sure it clears before you ship anything.

As for PayPal, I feel you. I use PayPal for services and someone charged back 6 months later. What can you do? Well, what i do now is have them copy and paste an agreement that says "I insert name authorize the charge of my credit card for insert amount...I will not charge back at a later date...etc". Have them paste that into their payment email and you have almost signed document with them autorizing it. Also, Amazon.com bought out PayPal so I'm sure Amazon will fight charge backs a lot more now. If you are scared, just don't check the box saying you except payapl. You decide the form of payment, so just make sure cash is in hand before mailing and there's nothing to worry about.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by markomarko

Well, if you go to http://www.paypalwarning.com/ you can see quite a few horror stories. Actually if you type 'paypal horror' in ebay, you will get a link to the aforementioned site.

Basically, I've read several stories where the "insurance" provided is worth as much as the paper it is written on.

Has anyone had paypal correct a problem for them?

That is what happens to fraudulent and suspect accounts. Read it, it mentions this happes to accounts with a lot of charge backs. Also, once PayPal clears the money, just tell them to cut a check. They can't keep your money if there's nothing in your account.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you ask for a Money Order, make sure it's a Postal Money order or one on the big chain money order (Western Union has one) companies that has verification services.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Money order is not the same as cash. Remember the story of this guy?

http://www.remodern.com/caught.html

Most of the buyers out there are pretty honest people, but just beware of offers too good to be true. I don't know anything about the PayPal horror stories, but see what a few of the people say. Also, PayPal is owned by eBay (not Amazon), so see what eBay's payment policies concerning PayPal are.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
paypal works fine. Don't get paranoid.

I've been using paypal for about 3 years now. I have about 700 confirmed transactions. NOT once have I ever had a problem receiving or sending money. No one has ever charged anything back either. My only warning is watch out for the paypal fees if you sell an expensive item. Paypal once charged me about $40 to accept a $1000 payment. I thought that was high considering the person already had the money in their paypal account. It was just a simple transfer.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Another reason to have the buyer use a Postal Money Order rather than a bank or 7-11 money order is that a fraudulent Postal Money Order will involve the feds. No matter what the monetary value of the M.O., if it is a bad Postal one, they will, well, ahem, go postal on that person. :)

Regards,
Gus

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Oh, BTW, I have no problem with PayPal either. The fees are annoying, but I usually just work the fees into my reserve or Buy It Now price so that I get what I wanted to begin with, and basically the buyer has paid those fees.

And no, I don't think that that is an evil thing to do. I think it's a smart thing to do.;)

Regards,
Gus

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Tips for eBay? Be careful out there, that's all I've got to say. Just because the feedback is 100% good, and they've sold high dollar items in the past (i.e. laptops) doesn't mean you should trust them. Hell, I even talked to the guy on the phone after the auction and he still screwed me. I got taken for a ride (to the tune of $1670) and am still waiting on my refund.

My fiasco

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
don't leave your software on your machine and advertise it as part of the auction. it's against ebay policy, and they will probably shut down your auction

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
use the escrow service provided BY EBAY. do not go to an outside escrow at the request of a buyer.

also, to clear up who should pay for the escrow, offer to go 50-50. a serious buyer should say yes. just make sure you consider that cost when you set your reserve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.