Any FREE Instant Messaging Programs for Mac???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayeskreezy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so I usually use trillian on the PC, and I know my mac came with iChat, but it doesnt compare with Trillian. Are there any spyware-free IM programs for macs other than ichat? I need something much more user friendly and customizable that can import more than one type of IM client similar to Trillian. Thanks!

2. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Adium, Fire (and for the record, I got the home pages of both as the third and fourth hit right after two iChat ones when googled for "im mac os x". You should try looking a little harder).

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

You want Adium. Some words of advice, though: all IM programs for Macs are free. There's no spyware for Macs either. :D

Edit: Beaten to it! :D

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

6. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Yeah, as far as text messaging goes I like Adium. But still I use iChat for almost everything.

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

well I guess if my search had been that detailed I would have found what you did :rolleyes:

anyway...I typed in mac trillian to see if there was a such thing and I didnt find anything so thats why I came here....i'd rather get advice from experienced mac users on some things than a random search engine

8. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I also prefer Adium

I use iChat with other Mac users... for great audio and video chats.

I looked around at a few when I first switched. Even (dare I admit it in public) used MSN Messenger for Mac initially (and hated it!)

Third party IM apps on Macs all seem nicer than when I was on a PeeCee.
    Adium is great! Fully customisable, and I've never had any problems with it.

10. aznsal612 macrumors member

errr? Yeah.

I think we got a majority of the users here on Adium. Suffice to say, there is no need to search for a Trillian for mac. I never liked Trillians interface anyhow. It felt too much like a high-techy year 2050 (or the way we'd imagine it in books or movies).

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

12. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I don't understand why people haven't mentioned Adium?! It's really quite good :D :p

13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Thought I'd add my opinion. I use Proteus (www.proteusx.com). It's technically not free, although it does have an unlimited trial period (with reminders to pay if you like it). Adium is a good app, but for some reason that I can't quite explain, I just don't like it very well. The interface is weird. Anyway, I'm very happy with Proteus. It's the only shareware I've bought for my Mac.

14. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Yeah, I prefer Proteus to Adium. Much better interface and appearance. Could use an update, though..

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Adium rules. Except for file transfer, but that's libgaim's fault.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Not for long though, it's being worked on during Google's summer of code. At least the AIM portion of file transfers.

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

personally i cant live without being able to paste images into my chat like ichat allows, i also cant live without audio and video so i'm sticking to mercury messenger for msn and ichat for AIM and jabber.

18. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

you'll be pleased to know that adium got an update today, just downloaded it can't see much change, but saying that the only problem i had with it was that it would crash when file transferring otherwise its the best IM program on any platform in my opinion,

ShadoW

19. guifa macrumors 6502

That's odd, Fire and Adium use the same libgaim, and I have no trouble receiving/sending files on AIM, Yahoo, or MSN. DCC is still being worked on for IRC. I prefer Fire, it's got some neat features that the others still haven't adopted.

20. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    iChat is a head and shoudlers above adium in looks, but in the functionality ease of use and the ability to do everything quicker department adium is king, so take your pick

21. ph0rk macrumors 6502

http://www.adiumxtras.com/index.php?a=search&s=ichat

I think you can get adium reasonably close to ichat - you can get adium to look like almost anything.

22. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

23. abc123 macrumors 6502

i must be the only person who has no trouble sending and receiving files through adium but can't over msn messenger, ichat, yahoo messenger, etc.

so another vote for adium.