Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Ok so I usually use trillian on the PC, and I know my mac came with iChat, but it doesnt compare with Trillian. Are there any spyware-free IM programs for macs other than ichat? I need something much more user friendly and customizable that can import more than one type of IM client similar to Trillian. Thanks!

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
jayeskreezy said:
Ok so I usually use trillian on the PC, and I know my mac came with iChat, but it doesnt compare with Trillian. Are there any spyware-free IM programs for macs other than ichat? I need something much more user friendly and customizable that can import more than one type of IM client similar to Trillian. Thanks!

Adium, Fire (and for the record, I got the home pages of both as the third and fourth hit right after two iChat ones when googled for "im mac os x". You should try looking a little harder).

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
jayeskreezy said:

You want Adium. Some words of advice, though: all IM programs for Macs are free. There's no spyware for Macs either. :D

Edit: Beaten to it! :D

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Linkjeniero said:
Adium, Fire (and for the record, I got the home pages of both as the third and fourth hit right after two iChat ones when googled for "im mac os x". You should try looking a little harder).

well I guess if my search had been that detailed I would have found what you did :rolleyes:

anyway...I typed in mac trillian to see if there was a such thing and I didnt find anything so thats why I came here....i'd rather get advice from experienced mac users on some things than a random search engine

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I also prefer Adium

I use iChat with other Mac users... for great audio and video chats.

I looked around at a few when I first switched. Even (dare I admit it in public) used MSN Messenger for Mac initially (and hated it!)

Third party IM apps on Macs all seem nicer than when I was on a PeeCee.
Adium is great! Fully customisable, and I've never had any problems with it.

aznsal612

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
errr? Yeah.

I think we got a majority of the users here on Adium. Suffice to say, there is no need to search for a Trillian for mac. I never liked Trillians interface anyhow. It felt too much like a high-techy year 2050 (or the way we'd imagine it in books or movies).

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Thought I'd add my opinion. I use Proteus (http://www.proteusx.com). It's technically not free, although it does have an unlimited trial period (with reminders to pay if you like it). Adium is a good app, but for some reason that I can't quite explain, I just don't like it very well. The interface is weird. Anyway, I'm very happy with Proteus. It's the only shareware I've bought for my Mac.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
mduser63 said:
Thought I'd add my opinion. I use Proteus (http://www.proteusx.com). It's technically not free, although it does have an unlimited trial period (with reminders to pay if you like it). Adium is a good app, but for some reason that I can't quite explain, I just don't like it very well. The interface is weird. Anyway, I'm very happy with Proteus. It's the only shareware I've bought for my Mac.

Yeah, I prefer Proteus to Adium. Much better interface and appearance. Could use an update, though..

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
personally i cant live without being able to paste images into my chat like ichat allows, i also cant live without audio and video so i'm sticking to mercury messenger for msn and ichat for AIM and jabber.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
plasticparadox said:
Yeah, I prefer Proteus to Adium. Much better interface and appearance. Could use an update, though..

you'll be pleased to know that adium got an update today, just downloaded it can't see much change, but saying that the only problem i had with it was that it would crash when file transferring otherwise its the best IM program on any platform in my opinion,

ShadoW

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
That's odd, Fire and Adium use the same libgaim, and I have no trouble receiving/sending files on AIM, Yahoo, or MSN. DCC is still being worked on for IRC. I prefer Fire, it's got some neat features that the others still haven't adopted.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i must be the only person who has no trouble sending and receiving files through adium but can't over msn messenger, ichat, yahoo messenger, etc.

so another vote for adium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.