Any good books on python?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by thekev, Feb 7, 2012.

1. macrumors 603

thekev

Can anyone suggest any reasonably comprehensive books on python? I'm not sure where to start. I already did a search before starting a thread on this.

2. macrumors 603

Cromulent

3. macrumors 6502

+1 for Learn Python the Hard Way.

4. macrumors member

When you do run into a problem and can't solve it, "google" for the solution. If there is a link to the stackoverflow.com site, definitely look at that link. I have found that site to be an excellent source with problem solving (with any language).

5. thread starter macrumors 603

thekev

Thanks guys. I'm going to try those sites. Learn python the hard way looks cool. I hate anything simplified. It just causes problems later on. Anyone have experience with python in maya?

6. macrumors member

I realize you are just beginning but try to remember this for the future.

There are very powerful libraries for Python. Either built-in to base Python or third-party libraries. For example, the PIL (Python Imaging Library) is an extremely powerful image processing library that probably covers everything you need in regards to 2-D images and processing.

The bottom line is, check to see if a library can fulfill your requirements before rolling your own implementation.

7. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Seconded! There are literally TONS of Python extension libraries that fill most of the common needs. The only problem: Many of them aren't yet 64-bit ready, Python 3-compatible, or both.

8. macrumors 601

ixodes

9. thread starter macrumors 603

thekev

Thank you. My concerns are somewhat application specific, but I wanted to understand it well enough to prevent getting stuck on stupid things. I really don't do much in the way of scripting currently, and my programming knowledge is dismal.

I'm going to look at that right now.

10. macrumors 68030

That's a cool book :)

I just read through exercise 0. The following quotes are great:

11. macrumors member

Where I work we have been "poised" to jump to Python version 3 for some time now. The reason we are still with 2.x is exactly the quote above. That is, not all the libraries we use are there yet.

I realize the original poster is just learning Python but I hope these discussions we are having now help in the future.

12. thread starter macrumors 603

thekev

From today on I will tell everyone to install Linux:D.

13. macrumors member