Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you keeping your new iPhone SE?

• Yes

Votes: 222 69.4%
  • No, going back to my 6/6s

Votes: 33 10.3%
  • No, going back to my 6+/6s+

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 30 9.4%

• Total voters

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I know there's lot of names but I think Phil confirmed that it's Special Edition

and an obvious tip of the hat to the Macintosh SE

Decker39

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
UK
My only remorse is the fact that i got the 16gb model on launch day, i sold my iphone 6 and didn't have to put much money towards the SE. My contract is up for renewel in December so i will definately get the 64gb model

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I returned the SE and went back to the 6 Plus. Screen was too small. It felt like working with yesterday's technology. Screen also was not as impressive looking to me. Also I prefer the "thin" of the larger phones to the "thicker" of the SE. And the ultra-small keyboard on the SE: no go.

Reactions: ABC5S

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
I returned the SE and went back to the 6 Plus. Screen was too small. It felt like working with yesterday's technology. Screen also was not as impressive looking to me. Also I prefer the "thin" of the larger phones to the "thicker" of the SE. And the ultra-small keyboard on the SE: no go.

i agree with you on the small keyboard. i went from a an iPhone 4 to a 5s. no problems even though typing in portrait was cramped but i was used to it. got a 6 plus. sold it, got a 5s again, felt like a toy. sold that and now have a 6s plus.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I just can't decided if I'm now so used to the bigger screen that getting the SE will disappoint me. Or if the pro of the smaller over all size will win out.

I went back and forth. For me going back to the small screen was not fun. But there was something else: the SE is thicker. Smaller, yes, but thicker. I prefer thin. Doesn't bulge as much.

None of Apple's phones is as wonderfully small as my old BlackBerry Curve. There are tradeoffs with all of them. Apple would do well to get rid of the fat top and bottom bezels and shrink their phones, all of 'em, as a result. But I'm sure I'm not the first person to say that.

Reactions: ABC5S and lyceumHQ

bmiller541

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
I went from the Iphone 6 to 6s+ in November. Now trying out the SE and really love it. I now know for a fact that the Iphone 6+ is not the phone for me. Sure the huge screen is nice for social media but I now realize how much of a hassle the Plus was since carrying the SE. Working out with it is perfect and I don't feel it in my pocket.

I think if anyone is curious about it, just go in the apple store and buy the 16bg for the $400. There's a 2 week grace period to get a full refund. Even though I love the SE, I'm most likely going to return it and wait for prices to drop in September.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Sure the huge screen is nice for social media but I now realize how much of a hassle the Plus was since carrying the SE. Working out with it is perfect and I don't feel it in my pocket.

Carrying that plus phone is a huge hassle, but it's nice when it's out of your pocket.

There was still no better phone for portability than the BlackBerry Curve. It makes the SE look like a ridiculously gargantuan monstrosity. Alas, it sucked at anything having to do with the internet.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I went back and forth. For me going back to the small screen was not fun. But there was something else: the SE is thicker. Smaller, yes, but thicker. I prefer thin. Doesn't bulge as much.

None of Apple's phones is as wonderfully small as my old BlackBerry Curve. There are tradeoffs with all of them. Apple would do well to get rid of the fat top and bottom bezels and shrink their phones, all of 'em, as a result. But I'm sure I'm not the first person to say that.
a whopping half a MM thicker!

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Laugh if you want, but when something is competing in my pockets with other stuff, every mm counts. You want to carry thick? Feel free.
NOW, I am laughing...was not before...half a mm...what are you smoking? Wait, never mind, I just figured that out...lol

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
3D Touch had become second nature, not to mention missing the obvious size of the screen and keyboards. The 6s plus is just such an incredible phone I felt I might as well sell my launch SE while it still held relatively good value. I've decide I'm more for the new generation of phones and need all the bells and whistles I've become accustomed to.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Laugh if you want, but when something is competing in my pockets with other stuff, every mm counts. You want to carry thick? Feel free.
Totally agree.
I went from the Iphone 6 to 6s+ in November. Now trying out the SE and really love it. I now know for a fact that the Iphone 6+ is not the phone for me. Sure the huge screen is nice for social media but I now realize how much of a hassle the Plus was since carrying the SE. Working out with it is perfect and I don't feel it in my pocket.

I think if anyone is curious about it, just go in the apple store and buy the 16bg for the $400. There's a 2 week grace period to get a full refund. Even though I love the SE, I'm most likely going to return it and wait for prices to drop in September.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I can't really see how even a half mm thicker SE can compete for more space than a 6s+ in any sort of pocket. ever since I stopped using my 6s+ and am now using my SEs (have had a couple of 5s as well), I'm able to fit an SE in many more sorts of pockets from large to small, to tight, to shallow. some of my pockets, I'm even able to stack both my SEs. that's especially so with the tighter pant styles that are currently in.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA

There are always trade offs. A half a mm thinner would be a fraction less space for internals, probably battery. I think they got the compromises just right. Features:price:weight:size:battery, all get juggled to find the right mix. I think they nailed it.

westcoastcyc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
The SE is much more enjoyable for me to use. I never used 3D touch with the 6s so I am not missing anything.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I find the iPhone to thin to hold comfortable unless you have it in a case. But without a case I find it to thin and slips out of your hand. I would like to see it a little thicker and put a bigger battery in it instead.

jjfad

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013

Prices are probably not going to drop in September. Yes a new iPhone is coming out but it will be a larger phone that will entice 6/6s users to upgrade. Doubtful we will be seeing a flood of SE's on Swappa and EBay.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
^agreed^ anyone that thinks the SE will see a price drop anytime soon is just dreaming. :rolleyes:

It may not even see a price drop after it's been out a year, although, by then you'll see refurbished ones for less $, you may even see refurbished SE's by the end of this year. (Apple sends refurbs to the carriers, (available online only), they don't sell their own refurb iPhones like they do the rest of their products.)

dctkline

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
so after having my iphone se for a couple of months ive decided its just not the phone for me and switched back to the iphone 6s. Don't get me wrong it is a great little phone but i was just having such a hard time adjusting to the smaller screen.

GRANTCKING

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
have had an se now for 7/8 days, love the phone apart from the rattle from the camera lens/power button, is it worth me exchanging this for another? it so annoying for me as its the perfect size and shape for my hands but if I cant get one without a rattle ill have to look elswhere, I see its a common issue, has anyone received an se that doesn't rattle?

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
have had an se now for 7/8 days, love the phone apart from the rattle from the camera lens/power button, is it worth me exchanging this for another? it so annoying for me as its the perfect size and shape for my hands but if I cant get one without a rattle ill have to look elswhere, I see its a common issue, has anyone received an se that doesn't rattle?

I have had my iPhone SE for a few months now and use it constantly everyday and my power button and camera lens does not rattle at all. They are both nice and tight. I would recommend exchanging it for a new one if it bothers you as it shouldn't rattle. I have a few friends that also have iPhones and none of theirs rattles either.

westcoastcyc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
I have had my iPhone SE for a few months now and use it constantly everyday and my power button and camera lens does not rattle at all. They are both nice and tight. I would recommend exchanging it for a new one if it bothers you as it shouldn't rattle. I have a few friends that also have iPhones and none of theirs rattles either.

Mine does not rattle either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.