Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
UBUNTU and Debian should have live distros listed somewhere on their site. I know UBUNTU does for sure.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Supposedly Gentoo has one.

What a lot more people seem to do, if they want to play around with open source software, is to not use Linux, but use Fink to install KDE or Gnome or whatever window manager they want on top of OS X (since OS X is already a Unix basis, and it even already has an Apple-distributed X-windows manager, there's no reason you can't run KDE or Gnome on top of the "Darwin" part of OS X instead of the OS X Aqua GUI).

You can google for this... here is an example walkthrough:

http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=12088

FWIW I don't think you're constrained to having the X environment in a window like they show it. I know Apple's X manager allows X to go full screen.

Once you're running KDE and X on top of Darwin, and you use Fink to get packages for the standard Open Source stuff, it really will be so much like using Linux that you might find you don't need to bother with live cd's. ;)

But then again, of course, it might not.

Wellander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Huntington Beach Ca
mkrishnan said:
Supposedly Gentoo has one.

What a lot more people seem to do, if they want to play around with open source software, is to not use Linux, but use Fink to install KDE or Gnome or whatever window manager they want on top of OS X (since OS X is already a Unix basis, and it even already has an Apple-distributed X-windows manager, there's no reason you can't run KDE or Gnome on top of the "Darwin" part of OS X instead of the OS X Aqua GUI).

You can google for this... here is an example walkthrough:

http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=12088

FWIW I don't think you're constrained to having the X environment in a window like they show it. I know Apple's X manager allows X to go full screen.

Once you're running KDE and X on top of Darwin, and you use Fink to get packages for the standard Open Source stuff, it really will be so much like using Linux that you might find you don't need to bother with live cd's. ;)

But then again, of course, it might not.

Hi,
I tried this just to crash my Mac.
(will no longer boot)
But thanks anyway.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Wellander said:
Hi,
I will download the Ubuntu.
Thanks.
Does it actually work? I download the live cd for my iMac G5 (I used the 64 bit version) and it just crashed on startup...

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Eraserhead said:
Does it actually work? I download the live cd for my iMac G5 (I used the 64 bit version) and it just crashed on startup...

I tried one a while back on my PB and didn't have a problem with it. The 32 bit version might work better.

Wellander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Huntington Beach Ca
Eraserhead said:
Hi,
Yes it does work.
In my IMac g5 and Mac mini g4.
I used default boot opitions.
And thanks again to who all replied.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Wellander said:
Hi,
Yes it does work.
In my IMac g5 and Mac mini g4.
I used default boot opitions.
And thanks again to who all replied.
Cool, i'll try that later today...:)

karichelle

macrumors member
May 26, 2006
Ohio
Wellander said:
Hi,
OpenSuse needs to be installed though.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your title to mean if there were any still being updated/supported. But now I know what you were talking about. :) I may have to give one a try myself...I never could make it work on my parents' PC because it didn't have enough RAM.

SUSE used to have LiveCDs though...they may come out with one later.

Wellander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Huntington Beach Ca
Hi,
The Suse live cds are only for the 1386 (x86) platform only.
I have used them in my pc's in the past.
However I use slackware as my main distro in pc's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.