Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Okay, I'm having transmission problems and it's pissing me off. I own a 1997 Honda Civic, with 64,000 miles on it (very low for a car thats almost ten years old). Basically, everytime it shifts through a gear (automatic transmission), the car jerks. My dad's been a mechanic and is working on the problem, but I'm unsatisfied with what's going on. Honda has a repair for it, titled Harsh shift complaints on a/t Civics and CR-VS, which involved a 114 dollar solenoid, but it didn't help at all. So basically, he is going to do a flush and more solenoid work, but if that doesn't work, it's a 1500 dollar repair job (i'm poor too, work part time only, and i'm still paying this thing off so dumping it is no option). Does anyone else have any ideas about what could cause it? If you have knowledge on Civic a/t from 1996-2000, you would be helpful. Also, does anyone know of a design flaw in those said model years? My dad was calling around to dealers and found out that in 2000+ model years with basically identical transmissions, they are covering for this problem up to 100,000 miles. This is just really annoying. This car has needed zero work up until now, and i've owned it for a year, and the previous owner had no problems (and barely drove it). Carfax only came up with a minor crash (airbags didn't deploy).

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
We have a '97 Honda Civic EX with a/t, but we haven't had any problems like that (it has a little over 60K miles on it). Hopefully, it doesn't crop up... :(

I'm interested, too, in what feedback you get.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
floriflee said:
We have a '97 Honda Civic EX with a/t, but we haven't had any problems like that (it has a little over 60K miles on it). Hopefully, it doesn't crop up... :(

I'm interested, too, in what feedback you get.
if you ever notice a jerk when the tranny shifts, you might be in problem. With hindsight I could have caught this earlier... when i would basically coast through a turn and accelerate through it, there would be a jerk. When your driving your Civic, I would try to pickup on cues. Thats the only thing I can tell you that (should have) given me notice my car was having trouble. Also, what it's doing now (jerking through gear shift) started happening one day, but stopped and the car started running like normal. If this ever happens to you, don't brush it off like I did.

kahos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2005
The only simple thing that comes to my mind would be the transmision's fluid level. If i recall correctly the procedure is to start the car, let it warm up to operating temperatures and while the engine is working, to check the fluid's level.

Check out this website: http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/
If you sign up, you can have access to honda's repair manuals. Hopefully you will find the info you are looking for. Good luck.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Someone here worked as a wrench-jockey in a Honda dealership for a while, and recommended people to stay away from either 3rd or 4th gen Accords with automatics. What this means to you? Probably nothing.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Go into this forum and send a private message to TexasHonda.

It is an Accord forum, but he knows so much about Hondas that I think he can guide you further. He is the moderator their and is very friendly and helpful.

Transmission problems suck, but sometimes it is a simple fix. My sister's Saturn was jerking into gear like crazy. It turned out to be a transmission fluid leak from the radiator.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
First bad thing I've ever heard about a Civic... I'm getting mine in May... brand new... I hope that I don't have this problem. However, there is a 9 model year difference, I'm sure they've fixed it by now, right?

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
StarbucksSam said:
First bad thing I've ever heard about a Civic... I'm getting mine in May... brand new... I hope that I don't have this problem. However, there is a 9 model year difference, I'm sure they've fixed it by now, right?
I wish I could tell you... but I would lean more towards no for the simple reason they now cover it under warranty for 2000+ (according to my dad who called about every Honda dealership in town to see if 1997 were). I say this because after 2000 they came out with another generation of Civics. It went from 1996-2000, 2001-2006, and now the current models with will probably last another five years. But it is conjecture on my part, and I would simply ask what transmission work is covered under your warranty till you sign on the line (my dad was told till 100,000, which should be long enough if any problem come up). Also, in the grand scheme of things, I'm only really annoyed by this because I just registered for the fall and have no money to pay for school or really for this, but for a car that is essentially ten years old from the time it came off the line, it isn't that bad since this is its first repair work.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Frisco said:
Go into this forum and send a private message to TexasHonda.

It is an Accord forum, but he knows so much about Hondas that I think he can guide you further. He is the moderator their and is very friendly and helpful.

Transmission problems suck, but sometimes it is a simple fix. My sister's Saturn was jerking into gear like crazy. It turned out to be a transmission fluid leak from the radiator.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
I followed your advice, thanks. I hope it is something simple, I would ask my Dad if he has checked stupid stuff like that, but I know he would get pissed because he is car God and all, but sometimes I feel he jumps to the big problems and big fixes before doing the little things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.