Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniviva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Hi guys~

I am going to buy a 15" Powerbook and iPod together with student discount in this coming September. However, my max. credit card limit is just $1700 :( !!
thus, I can't ,even, pay for a BTO 15" PB :( , leave alone the iPod.

What can I do?? :confused: Can I order my BTO powerbook and iPod in my local Apple Store and pay them cash??

Thank you~

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
daniviva said:
Hi guys~

I am going to buy a 15" Powerbook and iPod together with student discount in this coming September. However, my max. credit card limit is just $1700 :( !!
thus, I can't ,even, pay for a BTO 15" PB :( , leave alone the iPod.

What can I do?? :confused: Can I order my BTO powerbook and iPod in my local Apple Store and pay them cash??

Thank you~

If you have the cash for it, you could get one of those pre-payed credit cards or visa gift cards. Or you could call the credit card company and see if they'll extend you a larger line of credit. if you haven't asked for a while and you pay all your bills, they may well do it. I don't know about ordering through an apple store, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would do that.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
As of last November, you couldn't get BTO through an Apple Retail Store. I don't know if that has changed .

numark

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
You can pay by certified check (from your bank) or by a bank wire transfer through the online Apple Store. You'll have to call in the order and tell them that you're paying by that route, but it's a pretty easy way to do it. I ordered my first Mac (iBook G3) by wire transfer because I didn't have a credit card yet, and it didn't create any problem whatsoever.

NCTRNL

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2004
Kansas City
I'll be ordering mine with a Visa check card...I wonder if that will pose any problems. I had planned on calling the bank before I did it so that they would approve it. That's all I can think of doing.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
NCTRNL said:
I'll be ordering mine with a Visa check card...I wonder if that will pose any problems. I had planned on calling the bank before I did it so that they would approve it. That's all I can think of doing.

I know that my (regular, standard) Visa check card has a combined daily limit of ~$2000, and they are really strict on that, regardless of how much may be in your account at the moment.

Some other Visa check cards (platinum in particular, I believe) have higher daily limits.

It may also depend on your bank; I'm not sure.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
kanker said:
As of last November, you couldn't get BTO through an Apple Retail Store. I don't know if that has changed .
AFAIK, and I checked recently, it isn't possible yet.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
jsw said:
AFAIK, and I checked recently, it isn't possible yet.

I read on these forums that Apple.com will accept a wire transfer directly from a bank account/

so will I :D

Edit./ Numark wrote it up above. sorry. I have short term memory loss today.. ooohhhh a butterfly :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
strider42 said:
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of this fact.
Note that I only asked about ordering and taking delivery in the store (I live in MA but near NH, and NH has an Apple Store and no sales tax...). You might very well be able to order and pay for a system to be delivered to your house. Sorry for the misleading post - I'd asked a slightly different question, and it's possible that even the answer to that question has changed. It wouldn't hurt to call your local store - if you have one - and ask!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
You should apply for an Apple Instant Loan. If you have the cash then you should be able to pay it off quickly. The interest is probably less than your Credit Card.

numark

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
wdlove said:
You should apply for an Apple Instant Loan. If you have the cash then you should be able to pay it off quickly. The interest is probably less than your Credit Card.
The question is whether a student can get an Apple Instant Loan in the first place. Most of us don't have very much credit, so there's a lot of fees and interest probably attached even if you can get approved for the loan.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
numark said:
The question is whether a student can get an Apple Instant Loan in the first place. Most of us don't have very much credit, so there's a lot of fees and interest probably attached even if you can get approved for the loan.

??

Really??

I've had a credit history since I was 16... and I've never missed a payment. So far I think my credit rating is pretty good...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
numark said:

I would also suggest calling you credit card company to increase your limit. It doesn't hurt to give the Apple Loan a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.