Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I'm working off the original 2015 Retina MacBook. Haven't seen any rumors of an upgrade to this laptop line. Thinking of purchasing the 2016 model with better specs. Anyone read anything?

KashKave

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
USA
Some speculate that the rMB will get an additional port, Touch ID & possibly a Touch Bar.

Out of these three the only one I see coming to the device would be Touch ID. Want an additional port? Buy the base model rMBP 2016. Want Touch Bar, buy the high end rMBP 2016s. That's where I feel Apple is coming from.

Reactions: Zazoh

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Some speculate that the rMB will get an additional port, Touch ID & possibly a Touch Bar.

Out of these three the only one I see coming to the device would be Touch ID. Want an additional port? Buy the base model rMBP 2016. Want Touch Bar, buy the high end rMBP 2016s. That's where I feel Apple is coming from.

totally agree; am sure the touch bar won't hit the rMB; apple needs ways to separate the lines. and spring seems logical...

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

I have no interest in the touch bar. A second port would be nice but unless it's a USB-A/B port it's pointless (won't happen). The Retina MacBook won't get Touch ID unless it has the touch bar...and if it did could you imagine the price? Thanks for your thoughts.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Ditch the Core M and get a real processor and I think Apple will sell a lot of these.

Available now. Called Macbook Pro.

Core M needed for the fanless design and small battery. Maybe when they move to Kaby Lake or next rev after that it will be faster than MB Air.

digitalbreak

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
Available now. Called Macbook Pro.

Core M needed for the fanless design and small battery. Maybe when they move to Kaby Lake or next rev after that it will be faster than MB Air.

Reading the internet, there seems to not much of a perf gain for day to day use cases with the Kaby Lake unless you are looking at 4k Editing or photo/video processing using advanced tools. That to me screams that we could see an update to MBP 2016s to Kaby Lake in Spring, especially the 15" ones.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
M series don't have iris graphics.

MBP's all have iris integrated graphics (2 core) or graphics card 4 (core)

Kaby Lake 2 core i series cpu's released currently don't have iris graphics.

Kaby Lake 2 core w/ iris graphics and 4 cores reportedly/alegedly will become available after the first of the year.

Kaby Lake M series haven't been released yet either.

Thats why new MBP's have Skylake 6th gen. processors instead.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
It's plain ridiculous to suggest that the macbook would get the touch bar when the entry Pro didn't get it.

I highly doubt touch id would hit the macbook in any shape or form, again the Pro didn't.

Also very very unlikely that a second USB port would happen.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Kaby Lake Core M should be out by Spring 2017. I doubt we'll see the TouchBar/Touch ID however we may get TB3 (depending if Apple can put the Alpine ridge chip in), and the new gen 2 butterfly keyboard which people are saying is 'improved' on the 1st gen that the rMB uses. Furthermore Kaby Lake really helps with battery life in terms of 4k vide playback.

I think I may have also read that the 2016 mbp and the rMB have the same thickness when it comes to the screen, so we could technically see a 720p webcam.

I've passed up some good deals on M5 2016 models purely because the above changes make it worth waiting. It's only a couple of months away now, the improved keyboard alone on the 2017 model should be worth waiting over a 2016 model. I see no reason why they won't include the gen 2 keyboard in the 2017 rMB.

Reactions: macintoshmac

EgGKeith

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
One more port
Touch"Bra" & ID
Additional $400...
Thanks Tim
(I do miss SJ's Apple company)

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Wouldn't all of the core M's start to throttle after say 1 minute of hard-ish cpu work? The speed during the first minute is as fast as the current macbook air's already. It's the throttling under sustained load that's the problem, which will always be a problem as long as it's a fanless design. Which means that the core M's are always going to be underpowered.

I think of the macbook as my ideal ipad. I don't like ipads because they don't have a real keyboard and ios which I can't do real work on. The macbook is as light as an ipad plus a keyboard with mac os. So in that context I can accept it as a secondary computer.

Reactions: Quddy

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
additional port, highly unlikely
thunderbolt 3 port. very likely. and this is the one and only one thing I want. so that I can hook up the new 5k display AND an external SSD.

Touch ID. unlikely. and not really a big deal for me.
touch bar, unlikely. don't care.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
No new ports - 100% sure.
No TB - Thank God for this. And 100% sure this will not happen on rMB.
TB3 - nope. Still have to wait for this one :(
New keyboard - 99% sure.
720p cam - it would be a disaster if they don't put this in.

Reactions: macintoshmac

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Kaby Lake core m processors are already out and some Windows manufactures already have it (Dell XPS) so I would expect Apple to update it next spring.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Wouldn't all of the core M's start to throttle after say 1 minute of hard-ish cpu work? The speed during the first minute is as fast as the current macbook air's already. It's the throttling under sustained load that's the problem, which will always be a problem as long as it's a fanless design. Which means that the core M's are always going to be underpowered.

This seems to be a common misconception.

I have set my M5 running a very high CPU task (continuous analysis mode in Hiarcs chess...uses 340% CPU in AM), and monitored CPU GHz and temperature with Intel Power Gadget.

The CPU quickly goes to the max multiprocessor overboost of 2.4Gz and rises to 92C in about 6 mins. After a few minutes it throttles back to 2.3 Ghz and 90C and will run at that indefinitely. The machine does not feel particularly hot. My 15" quad core runs at similar temperatures doing the same thing.

The attached screenshot was taken 10 minutes after launching Hiarcs.
[doublepost=1480149259][/doublepost]....and here is another 20 mins after running at 340% CPU

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 08.22.45.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 08.22.45.png
    402.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 08.32.54.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 08.32.54.png
    454.5 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: unagimiyagi

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
This seems to be a common misconception.

I have set my M5 running a very high CPU task (continuous analysis mode in Hiarcs chess...uses 340% CPU in AM), and monitored CPU GHz and temperature with Intel Power Gadget.

The CPU quickly goes to the max multiprocessor overboost of 2.4Gz and rises to 92C in about 6 mins. After a few minutes it throttles back to 2.3 Ghz and 90C and will run at that indefinitely. The machine does not feel particularly hot. My 15" quad core runs at similar temperatures doing the same thing.

The attached screenshot was taken 10 minutes after launching Hiarcs.
[doublepost=1480149259][/doublepost]....and here is another 20 mins after running at 340% CPU

Hi, wow, I did not know this. So are you saying that the m3, and m5 MacBooks are even in sustained use roughly as fast as the 2014 or 2015 MacBook airs? CPU performance is what I am most worried about. Have you found the m5 to be worth the extra money compared to the m3?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hi, wow, I did not know this. So are you saying that the m3, and m5 MacBooks are even in sustained use roughly as fast as the 2014 or 2015 MacBook airs? CPU performance is what I am most worried about. Have you found the m5 to be worth the extra money compared to the m3?

Read this thread for more info, and draw your own conclusions! It depends what you are going to be doing.

Last edited:

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Kaby Lake Core M should be out by Spring 2017. I doubt we'll see the TouchBar/Touch ID however we may get TB3 (depending if Apple can put the Alpine ridge chip in), and the new gen 2 butterfly keyboard which people are saying is 'improved' on the 1st gen that the rMB uses. Furthermore Kaby Lake really helps with battery life in terms of 4k vide playback.

I think I may have also read that the 2016 mbp and the rMB have the same thickness when it comes to the screen, so we could technically see a 720p webcam.

I've passed up some good deals on M5 2016 models purely because the above changes make it worth waiting. It's only a couple of months away now, the improved keyboard alone on the 2017 model should be worth waiting over a 2016 model. I see no reason why they won't include the gen 2 keyboard in the 2017 rMB.

I'm not a fan of the new butterfly keyboard. I have the original Retina MacBook and the keyboard is not as loud as the one on the MacBook Pro. I tested the new keyboard in the store and it's LOUD compared to my current Retina Macbook.
[doublepost=1480519442][/doublepost]
No new ports - 100% sure.
No TB - Thank God for this. And 100% sure this will not happen on rMB.
TB3 - nope. Still have to wait for this one :(
New keyboard - 99% sure.
720p cam - it would be a disaster if they don't put this in.

Your thoughts are 100% on point. And, expect a 720 front facing camera. If there is one feature Apple does not care to upgrade is the front facing camera. The Retina MacBook is for light use and not anything more, Apple gives little regard to it. I agree there will be, sadly, no additional port, but that's to be expected. The new butterfly keyboard will be included but I dislike it. After trying it at the store the sound is almost 2x louder than my current Retina MacBook.
[doublepost=1480519513][/doublepost]
One more port
Touch"Bra" & ID
Additional $400...
Thanks Tim
(I do miss SJ's Apple company)

No Touch Bar will come to this model, it will clash with the MacBook Pro line and this includes the Touch ID.

Reactions: skizuki

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
There won't be any TouchID without the Touchbar - the ARM chip that runs the Touchbar is also linked to the secure enclave for touchID.
Kaby Lake won't bring built-in TB3/extra port to the ULV processors so I doubt Apple would fit the Apline ridge chipset if they haven't done so far.
Butterfly keyboard upgrade and better screen gamut are likely.
Given the lack of 'new' parts, I doubt we'll see any rumors before it launches (probably via press release as for the 2016 model)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Ditch the Core M and get a real processor and I think Apple will sell a lot of these.
The Core M IS a real processor. With Kaby Lake Intel is ditching the Core M branding except for the m3, so the next MacBook might get a "Core i5" that is 4.5W.

I have a Core m5 (2016) MacBook and Core i5 2016 MacBook Pro, and the former holds up pretty well against the latter.

skizuki

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
what i guess is, macbook won't have big change (including number of port) because it is a "extremely portable cloud-notebook", targeting customer to purchase more iCloud storage.

Reactions: protoxx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.