Any use for undeclared @implementations?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by zippyfly, Sep 28, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Hi folks.

So I've come across mention that methods not declared in @interface and written up in @implementation can still be called?

Of what use is this?

It seems such methods are not actually @private to the object. I can't see this being a mistake on the part of the designers so I'm wondering why this is allowed?

2. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Most often you see this used for overrides (methods prototyped by a superclass, like -init or -mouseDown), for protocol implementation (like NSCoding or datasource, implicitly prototyped via the protocol conformance declaration) and for delegate methods. Occaisionally you might see non-prototyped methods that are only used within the implementation, which the programmer might do in order to hide the methods, but this is a generally discouraged practice.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

But of course! (Smacks forehead. Mine, not yours. ;-)

4. macrumors G5

gnasher729

I recommend to set up your projects so that all compiler warnings are treated as errors, then make use of unknown selector a warning. (Especially useful when you write @selector(thismethod) instead of @selector(thismethod: ) )

I tend to have something like

@interface myclass (privatebits)
    @end

in my implementation files for internally used methods so that these methods are not even visible in the header file.