Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vernotheinferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Hey, im selling my ipad so that I can upgrade to 3G. Im one of those people who is really paranoid about someone else recovering my personal info, so I was wondering if the erase all data and settings option in settings will make all my data un-recoverable (like when you write zero's to a HD before you sell it). If not, is there another way to do this? Thanks!

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
NOPE. You can factory restore a few times and that might help a little but if you are crazy paranoid, that's not going to be enough.

Sell it and then change all passwords to sensitive data (email, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. along with security and passphrase changes) and you could be alright.

Oh and sign up for lifelock. hahaha.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey, im selling my ipad so that I can upgrade to 3G. Im one of those people who is really paranoid about someone else recovering my personal info, so I was wondering if the erase all data and settings option in settings will make all my data un-recoverable (like when you write zero's to a HD before you sell it). If not, is there another way to do this? Thanks!

Do a DFU restore a couple of time and you will be fine (one time is enough, but the second time will overwrite the flash twice and it will be near impossible to recover anything, unless you sell it to someone that work on NSA)

if you iPad is currently jailbreakble, PM me I want it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.