Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Drives me nuts as I'm driving, the iPhone is paired to my car's built-in stereo, and if a call comes in, it interrupts the radio\xm\cd\usb, but when the following comes in it does not:

- turn by turn navigation via Apple maps
- text message tones
- email notifications

Is there even a way to make it interrupt so I know these come in? Kinda defeats the purpose of auto-pair if every time I get a text or email or turn notice I have to look down at the phone to know it came in.

Thanks as always!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Sounds like the firmware on your car is missing features.
You can go into Bluetooth settings, find the device that is paired with iDevice, and tap it to open Bluetooth settings

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like the firmware on your car is missing features.
You can go into Bluetooth settings, find the device that is paired with iDevice, and tap it to open Bluetooth settings

There's not really settings within BT.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
It's pretty much your car's bluetooth is not accepting certain notifications from the iPhone because it's not recognizing it as a phone call. It recognizes Siri prompts, only because those are being pushed by Apple as if they are phone calls.

So it's pretty much how Apple sends those prompts and what prompts your car's bluetooth system is willing to accept.

Try using Google Maps turn-by-turn. You'll hear the prompts, but it's only because Google is sending the prompts as if they are phone calls.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
It's pretty much your car's bluetooth is not accepting certain notifications from the iPhone because it's not recognizing it as a phone call. It recognizes Siri prompts, only because those are being pushed by Apple as if they are phone calls.

So it's pretty much how Apple sends those prompts and what prompts your car's bluetooth system is willing to accept.

Try using Google Maps turn-by-turn. You'll hear the prompts, but it's only because Google is sending the prompts as if they are phone calls.

Yeah, I understand. I'm jailbroken, I wonder if there is a tweak to modify that aspect of the device.

----------

Really, because with our iPhones Bluetooth paired with Ford Sync gives us all sorts of options on what to allow to pass to the radio/sync system.

Yeah, there's lots of options, just not in regards to the notification aspect. If getting notifications requires buying a FORD, I'll stick with not having notifications, hehe.

Danimal1313

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
I have the same issue and tried a couple of Bluetooth tweaks, Bluetooth service manager and something else (cant remember). Anyhow, neither worked, they supposedly had the option to disable certain portions like A2DP but keep hands free which is what we need. If anyone has any ideas please let us know.

Elric

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
I'm having the exact same problem except mine is playing iPhone music through USB, still no notification sounds.

boost-tt

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
Same problem here where it's silent for text or emails. But Siri works. On my 2012 Acura Tl.

Elric

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Turn by turn navigation works through the speakers in all apps
Apple maps, Google maps, Waze
But no actual notifications. Google Maps when closed for example, I see the banner, but no sound.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Drives me nuts as I'm driving, the iPhone is paired to my car's built-in stereo, and if a call comes in, it interrupts the radio\xm\cd\usb, but when the following comes in it does not:

- turn by turn navigation via Apple maps
- text message tones
- email notifications

Is there even a way to make it interrupt so I know these come in? Kinda defeats the purpose of auto-pair if every time I get a text or email or turn notice I have to look down at the phone to know it came in.

Thanks as always!

Ok just putting out there. Please do NOT text and drive. Is there an app that will read out a text message thru the car speakers?

Elric

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
This is driving me ******* cray cray.
Just plugged in (USB), with NOTHING playing, I get sounds through my cars speaker, as soon as I want to listen to music I get nothing, the volume dips, but no notification sound.
The built in Map app is the only thing that will be audible as far as notifications are concerned while music is playing.
Everything else is a volume dip, if that.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
I have the same issue with my Kenwood. I get phone call sounds but no notification sounds. I think the issue with me is when my phone pushes audio to my car, it takes a second or two to fade out of my radio and switch over to the phone. But notification sounds are so quick that they are over by the time my Kenwood has a chance to switch over.

I do get navigation sounds from Google Maps but this fade out/in delay means I only hear the second half of the directions.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
This is driving me ******* cray cray.
Just plugged in (USB), with NOTHING playing, I get sounds through my cars speaker, as soon as I want to listen to music I get nothing, the volume dips, but no notification sound.
The built in Map app is the only thing that will be audible as far as notifications are concerned while music is playing.
Everything else is a volume dip, if that.

Another reason I am switching to Android if Apple doesn't get their heads out of their rears soon. Everything that used to be a benefit about Apple is becoming a hassle now because they are so closed.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
So if I'm not mistaken, my iPhone 5 doesn't support a2db? I'm trying to get it to automatically pair with my Bluetooth head unit in my car. Phone will pair automatically for calls but not to play audio. I can pair it for audio but I have to do it manually each time. Is there a tweak out there that will allow my phone to pair Audio automatically like for phone calls? I've tried all the settings in my car and it's something to do with the iPhones Bluetooth. I've seen older packages for previous firmwares but none for ios6

Elric

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Mine works fine through Bluetooth, pairs automatically plays everything, calls are clear yadda yadda (except Siri, can't talk to the phone (in ANY App).
I want my notifications to go through the damn stereo when plugged into USB. It worked before the latest iPhone 5 only update.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Mine works fine through Bluetooth, pairs automatically plays everything, calls are clear yadda yadda (except Siri, can't talk to the phone (in ANY App).
I want my notifications to go through the damn stereo when plugged into USB. It worked before the latest iPhone 5 only update.

My Pioneer pairs automatically when I crank the car. For music and phone. Also music is tapered for notifications for siri voice navigation, txt tones, etc. no configuration necessary.

Sounds like your receiver manufacturer implemented BT poorly. A lot of poor implementations out in wild.

Elric

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Mine is a Pioneer as well.
DEH-5400BT

The volume tapers most of the time, but no sounds as to what the notification is actually for.

Last edited:

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
My deck is a pioneer fh-p8000bt, couple years old bought in 2008. Sucks I can't get the audio bt to pair automatically.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Go to wikipedia and look up Bluetooth profiles. There are a ton of them. Some to control tracks others to stream music and for headphones. You are missing one!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Go to wikipedia and look up Bluetooth profiles. There are a ton of them. Some to control tracks others to stream music and for headphones. You are missing one!

Huh? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Bluetooth profiles discussed in Wikipedia have no correlation to the bluetooth profile apple has installed. You can't just say "oh I don't like this one, I want the other one" ... lol.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
Not sure if this relevant but will add. My 2014 VW GLI with BT connect will not pass thru notifications(phone calls only) unless I am playing music thru my phone. Car is synced to my iPhone 5 but I use my iPod to play music via media cable. This might be your problem. If playing music thru my iPhone using BT I get all notifications.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Listen shenan1982 you cheeky little monkey why don't you think before you go posting stuff on line:

What I said is that there are different profiles, BT profiles, that IOS can use to do different things and even those profiles e.g. A2DP can use different codecs. IOS determines what BT profiles it uses and here IOS is clearly using a profile that is different from the one it uses to stream music A2DP. Perhaps it's using the Headset Profile (HSP) that is a low bitrate profile.

As others have noted when music is playing the Siri Voice is in high quality so perhaps this somehow tricks BT into using a different codec or profile. The Maps voice appears to be in high quality. And FaceTime is also not being implemented correctly too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.