Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I tend to keep a lot of tabs open in Safari. (Say, 15 or 20 at a time.) Is there any way to keep it from using so much virtual memory? I have 768 MB RAM. Safari usually ends up using well over a gig of hard-drive space. Can I stop this somehow, make it not cache as much? My computer always gets bogged down by that spinning beachball.

Gregte

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2006
I tend to keep a lot of tabs open in Safari. (Say, 15 or 20 at a time.) Is there any way to keep it from using so much virtual memory? I have 768 MB RAM. Safari usually ends up using well over a gig of hard-drive space. Can I stop this somehow, make it not cache as much? My computer always gets bogged down by that spinning beachball.

I realize this is a rather old thread, but to turn off Safari's cache go to the homeUserFolder/Library/Caches/Safari.

Quit the Safari app if it is running.

Empty the contents of that folder (Safari) then using Get Info... check the 'Locked' box.

Safari will not complain, it will just no longer cache anything. Undoing the procedure is as simple as Unlocking the Safari folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.