Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Thanks!!!

I couldn't be happier. Now I can reboot systems via my iphone! :cool:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Perhaps I'm missing it, but how do I connect to a server that's running SSH on a port other than 22? I tried using servername.com:portnumber for the host but it gave me some error.

canadacow

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
Perhaps I'm missing it, but how do I connect to a server that's running SSH on a port other than 22? I tried using servername.com:portnumber for the host but it gave me some error.

Ports will be an option in 1.1, submitted to Apple just now. (In there are the other things listed as well. Multiple simultaneous connections, more keys, public key exchage, etc.)

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Ports will be an option in 1.1, submitted to Apple just now. (In there are the other things listed as well. Multiple simultaneous connections, more keys, public key exchage, etc.)

I'm not sure if you've seen the full version of Mocha VNC, but they have an additional keyboard which contains all of the function keys + others. Does your app have something similiar? If not, this may be a way for you to avoid only placing the extra keys in landscape mode.

blugel

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
i was so looking forward to this app being released....but in the reviews i see mention that there is no esc key, making vi pretty much useless...is this true, and is it going to be fixed in the new version just submitted to apple?

xgdlm

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
just bought it (iSSH) from AppStore in France ... cannot wait for private key feature ... but I'm glade I don't have to Jailbreak anymore juste to avec an access to my servers :)

nice work

TemeculaMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Canadacow,
I'm really glad to see some ssh apps coming out. I've purchased iSSH, and it looks promising...but just isn't quite there yet. Here are a few of my gripes:

1) No "esc" key. This is HUGE, since I can't use vi to edit any of my files.
2) Need to be able to change the font or font size. Most of the time it's okay, but it can be a bit challenging to read at times.
3) Is there a way to "hide" the keyboard temporarily at times? In landscape mode, there's not a lot of viewable space. It'd be nice to run a "ps", then minimize the keyboard to view the entire process listing. (edit: I just noticed that you CAN hide the keyboard in landscape mode)
4) Get rid of the caps lock on the first letter (when setting up a new account).

The connect twice to a NEW server, isn't a big deal to me. After you make the first connect, you never have the issue again. I like the use of swiping for the scrolling (on the right side of the screen) and the arrow keys (on the left side of the screen). I'm looking forward to ssh key implementation, and a bit more polishing.

I realize you had to get the app out quickly, since others threw theirs out. Hopefully, as you begin making these changes...it'll turn into a killer app.

Thanks again!

TemeculaMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Use Ctrl-[ to tide you over. Yes, it's a substantial pain to get to "[" on the iphone keyboard, but it does work.

Thanks - that's actually how I got around it. It's just a pain, especially for the number of times you hit "esc" within vi. Hopefully, this will get addressed soon.

TemeculaMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Canadacow,
3) Is there a way to "hide" the keyboard temporarily at times? In landscape mode, there's not a lot of viewable space. It'd be nice to run a "ps", then minimize the keyboard to view the entire process listing.

I stand corrected! In landscape mode, you CAN hide the keyboard. Very cool!

Canadacow,
<snip>

3) Is there a way to "hide" the keyboard temporarily at times? In landscape mode, there's not a lot of viewable space. It'd be nice to run a "ps", then minimize the keyboard to view the entire process listing.

Yes there is a way, with the little "hide keyboard" button (that looks like a keyboard) right at the top in landscape mode (not sure how you missed this.)

EDIT: Ahh, you must have found it just as I posted...

TemeculaMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Yes there is a way, with the little "hide keyboard" button (that looks like a keyboard) right at the top in landscape mode (not sure how you missed this.)

EDIT: Ahh, you must have found it just as I posted...

It's easy for ME to miss things like this. I'm as sharp as a marble at times :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.