Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the insight BasicGreatGuy.

I'll wait until I have a couple of hours and enable it.

Is it easy to do for external drives?

Loa

You can format it to encrypted like BGG mentioned, or if you already have data on there and just want to encrypt, just right click and select encrypt.

a8nlXCJ.png

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Thanks Weaselboy!

One question though. I just tried it with a small SSD, and it worked in the sense that the format is now Mac OS journaled and encrypted, but the drive automatically mounts on my desktop during login.

I thought it would ask me for the password. Anyway I could make that happen?

Loa

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Must have clicked on "Remember in keychain" at some point.

So, go into Keychain Access, search for the name of the drive/volume. When found, delete that entry.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I leave my MBP running most of the time. I had had FileVault 2 running and turned it off a week ago to test something, and decided to keep it off since it wasn't doing me much good with it running most of the time.

Last night, 556fmjoe brought to my attention, that it is possible to still make use of FileVault 2 with the Mac running, by issuing a terminal command that kills the encryption key in RAM, when the screen saver (via hot corner) is initiated. Doing this serves my needs and Mac habits much better, than relying on my MBP being off to take advantage of FileVault. I turned FileVault back on and used the following command. Now, I use the hot corner to put my display to sleep immediately when need be. Encryption is now in force, until it is unlocked again by the password.

http://www.cnet.com/news/prevent-os-x-filevault-keys-from-being-stored-in-standby-mode/

sudo pmset -a destroyfvkeyonstandby 1

"Change the 1 to a 0 to revert the setting to its default. This will force you to enter your Filevault password when you wake it up as the encryption keys will not be in RAM and will need to be recreated."

I posted this in case others have the same or similar concerns or needs as I do.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I checked the keychain, and it's not there. But while the system remembers the password after a log out, it forgets it after a restart.

It seemed to make more sense to ask for it every time you want to mount it...

I may need to use the terminal method.

Loa

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
For those who have no generated password during set-up and are stuck on pause this might explain the problem.

When I first turned on my brand new rMBP I was given the following options at start-up.

'1) Allow my iCloud account to unlock my disk
2) Create a recovery key and do not use my iCloud account'

I must have ticked no 2 and then I noticed a few days later that the encryption was paused and just hanging there before completion.

If you encrypt your disc you need a generated password to decrypt it again should you need to. Option 1 should give you the code in iCloud. However I never saw or was given a code during set-up after I clicked option 2. This is the reason why I believe the encryption just hung, I*had NO generated password.

Apple tech support said I needed to erase the disc and do a complete OS X reinstall (a pain) When I came to the same options at start-up, I just ticked I'll do it later. After I was finished I went into 'Security and Privacy' and then chose the encryption function. It then generated a new password which I noted, and the disc encrypted perfectly.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
For those who have no generated password during set-up and are stuck on pause this might explain the problem.

When I first turned on my brand new rMBP I was given the following options at start-up.

'1) Allow my iCloud account to unlock my disk
2) Create a recovery key and do not use my iCloud account'

I must have ticked no 2 and then I noticed a few days later that the encryption was paused and just hanging there before completion.

If you encrypt your disc you need a generated password to decrypt it again should you need to. Option 1 should give you the code in iCloud. However I never saw or was given a code during set-up after I clicked option 2. This is the reason why I believe the encryption just hung, I*had NO generated password.

Apple tech support said I needed to erase the disc and do a complete OS X reinstall (a pain) When I came to the same options at start-up, I just ticked I'll do it later. After I was finished I went into 'Security and Privacy' and then chose the encryption function. It then generated a new password which I noted, and the disc encrypted perfectly.

I have a related question:
some minutes a go I install Yosemite ( a fresh install ) so over the installing process I check the option for filevault enabled https://derflounder.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/yosemite_filevault_setup_assistant.png
so now I go to filevault http://cdn.hightechdad.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HTD-Disable-FileVault.png
but I DONT HAVE ANY SECURITY KEY, yosemite installation never give a security key, ok it seems that I can access with apple id but! where's my security key?
thanks

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I have a related question:
some minutes a go I install Yosemite ( a fresh install ) so over the installing process I check the option for filevault enabled https://derflounder.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/yosemite_filevault_setup_assistant.png
so now I go to filevault http://cdn.hightechdad.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HTD-Disable-FileVault.png
but I DONT HAVE ANY SECURITY KEY, yosemite installation never give a security key, ok it seems that I can access with apple id but! where's my security key?
thanks

If you go with the default install setup, it doesn't give you a security key to unlock your drive. Your Apple ID is your only key. I think a key should be issued during setup.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
If you go with the default install setup, it doesn't give you a security key to unlock your drive. Your Apple ID is your only key. I think a key should be issued during setup.

yes! setup install dont give me anything... so bad.

1. so what happen if I know turn off filevault and turn on again? now give me something?

2. but well my MAIN BIG QUESTION about filevault is:

what happen if my computer crash forever BUT not the SSD inside... so I can eject the SSD put in dock and access to my info from another computer?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
yes! setup install dont give me anything... so bad.

1. so what happen if I know turn off filevault and turn on again? now give me something?

2. but well my MAIN BIG QUESTION about filevault is:

what happen if my computer crash forever BUT not the SSD inside... so I can eject the SSD put in dock and access to my info from another computer?

As to point one, you can turn it on (again) in Preferences > Security. It should issue a key.

As to point two, as long as you know the encrypted key for the FileVault2 SSD, you will still have access to the files. If you have no need of the files after the fact, you can simply erase the SSD in Disk Utility for later use. Erasing the SSD removes the key and encryption.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
As to point one, you can turn it on (again) in Preferences > Security. It should issue a key.

As to point two, as long as you know the encrypted key for the FileVault2 SSD, you will still have access to the files. If you have no need of the files after the fact, you can simply erase the SSD in Disk Utility for later use. Erasing the SSD removes the key and encryption.

thank you, the only confusing thing is how can access to my disk from another computer in a enclosure by example why my apple id, damn really why the install dont give me a key!

so is healthy put OFF and later put ON again just for get a key?

thanks

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
thank you, the only confusing thing is how can access to my disk from another computer in a enclosure by example why my apple id, damn really why the install dont give me a key!

so is healthy put OFF and later put ON again just for get a key?

thanks
The answer to your question depends on several factors.

If you have sensitive information stored on your Mac, whether from the job and or personal use, it would be a good idea to enable FileVault2 when you can, even if the Mac never leaves your home. Theft can happen, as well as someone in your home trying to look at things on your Mac they are not authorized to.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
The answer to your question depends on several factors.

If you have sensitive information stored on your Mac, whether from the job and or personal use, it would be a good idea to enable FileVault2 when you can, even if the Mac never leaves your home. Theft can happen, as well as someone in your home trying to look at things on your Mac they are not authorized to.

yes I work in home etc... I want use filevault2 but again well if mac crash and I eject the ssd to see my info I dont understand how can see it with the ssd in a enclousure... if only have the apple id...

by the way of course I also have a backup of my ssd... ;)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
yes I work in home etc... I want use filevault2 but again well if mac crash and I eject the ssd to see my info I dont understand how can see it with the ssd in a enclousure... if only have the apple id...

by the way of course I also have a backup of my ssd... ;)

You can put the SSD in an enclosure, and then connect it to your Mac whenever you want to use it. When you double-click on the drive in Finder, it will ask you for the password (key) to access the drive. Input the password and you should have full access to the SSD. It really isn't any different than attaching any other external drive to your Mac for use.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
You can put the SSD in an enclosure, and then connect it to your Mac whenever you want to use it. When you double-click on the drive in Finder, it will ask you for the password (key) to access the drive. Input the password and you should have full access to the SSD. It really isn't any different than attaching any other external drive to your Mac for use.

ok that password (key) that you say is the password key of my computer? or is the password key (THAT APPLE DONT GIVE ME IN THE INSTALLATION)?

thanks again!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
ok that password (key) that you say is the password key of my computer? or is the password key (THAT APPLE DONT GIVE ME IN THE INSTALLATION)?

thanks again!

For anyone who installed Yosemite with the default settings, the Apple ID password used at the time of install will be the one to unlock the drive.

If you change your Apple ID password (on Apple site) after the fact, you will need to use the same password used to set up FileVault 2, not the newly created Apple ID password.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
For anyone who installed Yosemite with the default settings, the Apple ID password used at the time of install will be the one to unlock the drive.

If you change your Apple ID password (on Apple site) after the fact, you will need to use the same password used to set up FileVault 2, not the newly created Apple ID password.

oh! now make sense, really thank you! ;)

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
sorry one more question (maybe stupid), filevault NOT take more space in the HD, I mean if my hd is on filevault... my hd will be more bigger?

Multipass

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2015
I leave my MBP running most of the time. I had had FileVault 2 running and turned it off a week ago to test something, and decided to keep it off since it wasn't doing me much good with it running most of the time.

Last night, 556fmjoe brought to my attention, that it is possible to still make use of FileVault 2 with the Mac running, by issuing a terminal command that kills the encryption key in RAM, when the screen saver (via hot corner) is initiated. Doing this serves my needs and Mac habits much better, than relying on my MBP being off to take advantage of FileVault. I turned FileVault back on and used the following command. Now, I use the hot corner to put my display to sleep immediately when need be. Encryption is now in force, until it is unlocked again by the password.

http://www.cnet.com/news/prevent-os-x-filevault-keys-from-being-stored-in-standby-mode/

"Change the 1 to a 0 to revert the setting to its default. This will force you to enter your Filevault password when you wake it up as the encryption keys will not be in RAM and will need to be recreated."

I posted this in case others have the same or similar concerns or needs as I do.
Hello, I am currently debating the usefulness of FileVault for my situation. Like you, I keep my MBA running all the time. If it's stolen from my home, it would most likely be running at the time.

I read what you said, but I am curious about it because I thought that OSX can require a password when coming out of standby or screen saver without running that line of code you posted.

So I am a bit confused. :p

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Hello, I am currently debating the usefulness of FileVault for my situation. Like you, I keep my MBA running all the time. If it's stolen from my home, it would most likely be running at the time.

I read what you said, but I am curious about it because I thought that OSX can require a password when coming out of standby or screen saver without running that line of code you posted.

So I am a bit confused. :p

You are right in that a password is required when coming out of standby etc. The difference with what I said, is that your drive is still encrypted during the screen saver mode etc., whereas with the method you mentioned it isn't, even though you have FileVault 2 enabled.

Multipass

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2015
You are right in that a password is required when coming out of standby etc. The difference with what I said, is that your drive is still encrypted during the screen saver mode etc., whereas with the method you mentioned it isn't, even though you have FileVault 2 enabled.

I see. That seems like a flaw. I would think a lot of people leave their computers on 24/7. I would think Apple would have something to protect them set by default. It seems like you could just grab a laptop out of someone's home and not have to worry about FileVault encryption if it is powered on.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I see. That seems like a flaw. I would think a lot of people leave their computers on 24/7. I would think Apple would have something to protect them set by default. It seems like you could just grab a laptop out of someone's home and not have to worry about FileVault encryption if it is powered on.

I agree that Apple should have addressed the issue in this area. Since they didn't, it leaves the computer vulnerable so long as it is running in standard mode as described.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I like the FileVault feature. It gives me another layer of security over my 1Password vault and other important files.

I also turn off the display of the account name at login. So, if someone were to steal my computer, they would have to figure out my login name as well as my password, in order to decrypt the hard drive. And if they were to get that far, they have another layer of passwords to break through on other items.

How did you manage to turn off the name of your account at startup? If I turn my computer off and on it still says my user account name when I need to select the user during startup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.