Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The fact still remains, the Nexus is the best Android experience to get.

If your only metric is fastest updates to the latest Android version then yeah, Nexus is the best. However, the devices from Google so far have not been the best available, instead they are usually a slightly changed model based on a model from the OEM who builds the phones. Doesn't look like much will change with the Pixel as it seems like a HTC iPhone-a-like for the most part.

Sometimes the additions OEMs make to Android can provide valuable extra features as stock, vanilla Android is still pretty barebones though of course serviceable. Sometimes they go horribly wrong and just come up with something that looks worse and is a worse user experience.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
To be fair, show me an OS without bugs. Apple is notorious for bugs and screwing up phones after every point release. They tend to fix it very quickly, to prevent further issues, but that isn't of much comfort to those that screwed up their phones with the update.
Ask iphone 7 owners on Verizon how they are feeling.

But Samsung's bugs are different. Their fragmentation with carriers has no rhyme or reason to it. Samsung's reputation involves phones bogging down after a few months into ownership. Their RAM management is pretty bad on legacy devices (S5, S6). They have so many issues that people still cannot stand Touchwiz despite so many "fixes." Apple fixes bugs quickly, so does Google for the most part.
[doublepost=1475358923][/doublepost]
If your only metric is fastest updates to the latest Android version then yeah, Nexus is the best. However, the devices from Google so far have not been the best available, instead they are usually a slightly changed model based on a model from the OEM who builds the phones. Doesn't look like much will change with the Pixel as it seems like a HTC iPhone-a-like for the most part.

Sometimes the additions OEMs make to Android can provide valuable extra features as stock, vanilla Android is still pretty barebones though of course serviceable. Sometimes they go horribly wrong and just come up with something that looks worse and is a worse user experience.

Not at all. The metric I would use is the least amount of hassles. The Nexus 6P is a great device: dual speakers, solid battery life, nice camera performance, sufficient RAM, AMOLED screen, sleek design, and fast timely updates. Let's compare that to the LG G5, S7, HTC 10, or OnePlus 3.

LG G5: Drops pricing like a fly, so that makes early adoption abysmal. Their software didn't have an app drawer in addition to being ugly. It took a patch for that. They're not also known to fix bugs in a timely fashion. The T-Mobile LG G2X is a perfect example.

S7: All the bells and whistles with top notch hardware, battery drain, typing bug, overheating issues, explosion issues, bogs down for some users, no timely updates, Samsung Pay got hacked, etc.

HTC 10: Year after year, HTC needs software updates just to make their cameras usable. The dual speaker concept isn't as aesthetically pleasing as last several years. Their promise for software updates are becoming less meaningful these days. They offer nothing much in terms of exclusivity. Pricing is also bad too.

OnePlus 3: Bugs galore. With the decision to kill off Oxygen OS, it makes timely updates harder. Had some RAM management issues and a lack of a RGB mode pissed off a lot of folks. Not even having a proper don't disturb mode sets it far behind in terms of basic necessities. All it truly offers are good pricing, tons of RAM, and dash charging.

At least with the Nexus and Apple devices, you get clean software, carrier flexibility, great RAM management, true Wi-Fi Calling, Band 12 LTE, solidly built devices, enough bells and whistles, OEM financing options, great product support and warranty support (if through Google directly), and ease of mind.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I don't know how Samsung **** things up so much just release a phone with top notch hardware with near stock android and they would be on to a winner, except they insist on tacking on loads of tat on top which end up being duplication's of Google software which end up making updates longer to produce but also hardware resources on the phone being used.

Also why can i not adjust the snooze duration or have a ascending alarm in the clock on iOS or better yet why is it that if i forget the turn the overall volume down on my iPhone i am startled awake by my alarm?

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don't know how Samsung **** things up so much just release a phone with top notch hardware with near stock android and they would be on to a winner, except they insist on tacking on loads of tat on top which end up being duplication's of Google software which end up making updates longer to produce but also hardware resources on the phone being used.

Also why can i not adjust the snooze duration or have a ascending alarm in the clock on iOS or better yet why is it that if i forget the turn the overall volume down on my iPhone i am startled awake by my alarm?

They released multiple pure Android devices though. The Galaxy Nexus didn't sell as much as their Galaxy S device for that year. They released a GPE version of the S4 and it didn't do too well either.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
nviz22 said:
OnePlus 3: Bugs galore. With the decision to kill off Oxygen OS, it makes timely updates harder. Had some RAM management issues and a lack of a RGB mode pissed off a lot of folks. Not even having a proper don't disturb mode sets it far behind in terms of basic necessities. All it truly offers are good pricing, tons of RAM, and dash charging.

Bugs galore isn't true.. most of the issues are fixed now; updates came even faster. And Oxygen OS won't be killed, they just said in an AMA that the AOSP-feel will stay for the western market. And we will get Nougat.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I'm curious what you think Samsung has messed up exactly? And as for iOS and alarms, that's because you only get the options Apple thinks you need, that's how iOS works, you get what they give you.

Reactions: mrex

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
They released multiple pure Android devices though. The Galaxy Nexus didn't sell as much as their Galaxy S device for that year. They released a GPE version of the S4 and it didn't do too well either.

At least with the GPE edition of the S4 the problem was more likely because it was poorly available if at all. Here in Finland it was never sold and you couldn't even install the ROM just like that on a regular S4. In any case you could not just walk into a store and buy the GPE edition but had to order online if I remember correctly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Don't like the stock clock app, then try a third party solution--plenty available that offer those options. Isn't that exactly what you'd do on Android if you didn't like the default app?

Reactions: mrex

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
2 years after KK, Android still has too much fragmentation. Not to mention, Samsung still has issues with bugs and post release support. The fact still remains, the Nexus is the best Android experience to get. It's not that Android is ruined pre say, but it's not as clean as iOS for me and I needed a phone now because of S7 issues, so I couldn't even bother to wait for the Pixel.
I disagree. I much prefer my Galaxy phones to the Nexus I had. I'll probably never buy another Nexus device

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The only thing that is still valid is the divide between iOS and Android loyalists (which does seem to be getting smaller each year as both OS's continue to mature and, ironically, seem to be moving to a similar point of convergence.)

That's the most invalid divide I've ever seen. Anyone who "sides" one way or another, as if they were fighting a war or as if the companies cared about them in the least, is a complete moron and fool. Just like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy and discuss these things without having to make it an "us versus them" proposition.

PS: Not directed at you, I'm just flabbergasted at the sheer amount of xx company sucks, xx company is the only company type threads that just go on and on and on with the same exact non arguments. We should just have a wall of copy and paste text that each poster simply injects into their hatred filled rant, in order to save them the energy of typing it.
[doublepost=1475449901][/doublepost]
But Samsung's bugs are different. Their fragmentation with carriers has no rhyme or reason to it. Samsung's reputation involves phones bogging down after a few months into ownership. Their RAM management is pretty bad on legacy devices (S5, S6). They have so many issues that people still cannot stand Touchwiz despite so many "fixes." Apple fixes bugs quickly, so does Google for the most part.
[doublepost=1475358923][/doublepost]

Not at all. The metric I would use is the least amount of hassles. The Nexus 6P is a great device: dual speakers, solid battery life, nice camera performance, sufficient RAM, AMOLED screen, sleek design, and fast timely updates. Let's compare that to the LG G5, S7, HTC 10, or OnePlus 3.

LG G5: Drops pricing like a fly, so that makes early adoption abysmal. Their software didn't have an app drawer in addition to being ugly. It took a patch for that. They're not also known to fix bugs in a timely fashion. The T-Mobile LG G2X is a perfect example.

S7: All the bells and whistles with top notch hardware, battery drain, typing bug, overheating issues, explosion issues, bogs down for some users, no timely updates, Samsung Pay got hacked, etc.

HTC 10: Year after year, HTC needs software updates just to make their cameras usable. The dual speaker concept isn't as aesthetically pleasing as last several years. Their promise for software updates are becoming less meaningful these days. They offer nothing much in terms of exclusivity. Pricing is also bad too.

At least with the Nexus and Apple devices, you get clean software, carrier flexibility, great RAM management, true Wi-Fi Calling, Band 12 LTE, solidly built devices, enough bells and whistles, OEM financing options, great product support and warranty support (if through Google directly), and ease of mind.

It's interesting to note how everyone's metrics differ. The 6p is an inferior device in many ways to my Note 7, but that's according to my metrics. I would love to have the latest version of Android with no carrier delays, but when all is said and done I'll trade that in order to satisfy my other metrics. The Pixel seems to be more compromises, like the Nexus lineup is known for, except this time they are charging a premium.

Reactions: M. Gustave

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's the most invalid divide I've ever seen. Anyone who "sides" one way or another, as if they were fighting a war or as if the companies cared about them in the least, is a complete moron and fool. Just like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy and discuss these things without having to make it an "us versus them" proposition.

PS: Not directed at you, I'm just flabbergasted at the sheer amount of xx company sucks, xx company is the only company type threads that just go on and on and on with the same exact non arguments. We should just have a wall of copy and paste text that each poster simply injects into their hatred filled rant, in order to save them the energy of typing it.
[doublepost=1475449901][/doublepost]

It's interesting to note how everyone's metrics differ. The 6p is an inferior device in many ways to my Note 7, but that's according to my metrics. I would love to have the latest version of Android with no carrier delays, but when all is said and done I'll trade that in order to satisfy my other metrics. The Pixel seems to be more compromises, like the Nexus lineup is known for, except this time they are charging a premium.

Well, when I mean by objectivity in comparison to iOS, it's the OEM/Software combo that mimics the iOS approach. The Nexus is by far the one that does this. I am not talking about spec for spec or anything of the sort.

Customer service? Google offers no hassle returns for warranties even though they don't have stores nationwide.
Software updates for the newest phones? Google offers that pretty much better than other OEMs for obvious reasons.
Hardware + software harmony? Pure Android is the best at this.
Carrier freedom: Neither has carrier bloat and offers tons of bands for freedom.

Reactions: spinedoc77

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Reading through these comments, it's obvious that ......

Samsung's cons are over exaggerated, and pros are overlooked.
Apple's cons are overlooked, and pros are over exaggerated.

I have both Samsung and iPhones. Including the iPhone 7+ and Note 7. In the last 3-4 years, I have never experience the cons on either side in such a dramatic fashion as many posters are making it out to be. And there is not a pro on either side that demolishes one another. Well maybe except for the display :p.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Also, for the record? Nobody is ruining Android. We all have different wants and the companies try to provide that. Android isn't ruined by choice.

Reactions: epicrayban

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Also, for the record? Nobody is ruining Android. We all have different wants and the companies try to provide that. Android isn't ruined by choice.

Too much choice leads to fragmentation. The market hit its peak in terms of innovation. Now it's just a specs race. In addition, having too much instability with android hurts because a lot of the glaring weaknesses are all too common: carrier bloat and update control, a necessity for monthly patches, some OEMs removing key features from updates, inconsistent features that should be in most if not all flagships, too much Qualcomm domination, and lack of software adoption.

That's why I prefer Pure Android now. I noticed that I was happier being a Nexus 6P owner and iPhone owner than owning Samsung, LG, or HTC devices.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Too much choice leads to fragmentation. The market hit its peak in terms of innovation. Now it's just a specs race. In addition, having too much instability with android hurts because a lot of the glaring weaknesses are all too common: carrier bloat and update control, a necessity for monthly patches, some OEMs removing key features from updates, inconsistent features that should be in most if not all flagships, too much Qualcomm domination, and lack of software adoption.

That's why I prefer Pure Android now. I noticed that I was happier being a Nexus 6P owner and iPhone owner than owning Samsung, LG, or HTC devices.

Pure Android doesn't run on phones. You're talking about liking Google's take on it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I have both Samsung and iPhones. Including the iPhone 7+ and Note 7. In the last 3-4 years, I have never experience the cons on either side in such a dramatic fashion as many posters are making it out to be. And there is not a pro on either side that demolishes one another. Well maybe except for the display :p.
Really? I think it's the other way around with the pros and cons of various devices.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Samsung's a complete non-starter as their devices don't get updates. The only real Android choice is Nexus/Pixel...and Google's dumping support for the Nexus 6 just 2 years after launch, which is pathetic.

Hopefully Apple's committed to doing 5 years of support. That's actually not great either, but in a world where Google dumps support after 2 years, and other devices are never up to date, it's great. (Hopefully Microsoft will support the ARM version of Windows 10 the same way they support regular Windows 10, but guess it remains to be seen.)

Reactions: AccenT

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I agree....i mean can I arrange my icons in IOS as I see fit? Can I move them to certain spots on the screen so as to not cover up someone's face if I use a picture as my home screen....
To me that is a very basic function...... what isn't that ever mentioned.

Reactions: lugworm

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Samsung's a complete non-starter as their devices don't get updates. The only real Android choice is Nexus/Pixel...and Google's dumping support for the Nexus 6 just 2 years after launch, which is pathetic.

Hopefully Apple's committed to doing 5 years of support. That's actually not great either, but in a world where Google dumps support after 2 years, and other devices are never up to date, it's great. (Hopefully Microsoft will support the ARM version of Windows 10 the same way they support regular Windows 10, but guess it remains to be seen.)
They get updates, just not as fast as most want. I haven't been a fan of Nexus devices and I've had Few including tablets. I can't speak for the newest phones but I'm not expecting anything better than what we have seen already.
I prefer the Samsung's.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
As much as I prefer stock Android, I won't buy any Android phone that not offer stock Android. But that just me.

However , if phones like Note 7 runs stock Android, then Note 7 will be pointless. You need special software or customization for hardware like Note 7 to shine. Pure stock isn't good for phones like Note 7 or S7 edge.

I use Android because I dislike iOS. Why would I buy any Android phone mimic iOS or close to iOS experience?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
As much as I prefer stock Android, I won't buy any Android phone that not offer stock Android. But that just me.

However , if phones like Note 7 runs stock Android, then Note 7 will be pointless. You need special software or customization for hardware like Note 7 to shine. Pure stock isn't good for phones like Note 7 or S7 edge.

I use Android because I dislike iOS. Why would I buy any Android phone mimic iOS or close to iOS experience?
Lol, you are contradicting yourself in this post.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

No... I am not. I don't like customized ROM... That is why I only buy Nexus or Motorola phone.

However, for phones like Note 7, customized ROM is better option than stock Android. Take the stylus for example, Samsung is able to provide lots more functionailities with TouchWiz UI. Stock Android won't cut.

Though Note 7 is not for me, but TouchWiz is better option for phones like Note 7.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Not really, it's simple.

He only wants pure Android. He also knows Note 7 would have been horrible with pure Android because of the specialized software needed to make the Note series great.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not following this thread, but this seems like the right place for this: http://www.androidauthority.com/ios-device-failure-rate-vs-android-729810/

Report: iOS devices have a higher failure rate than Android devices

According to the “State of Mobile Device Performance and Health” report issued by Blancco Technology Group for the third quarter (Q3) of the year, iPhones and iPads are failing at a rate of 62 percent worldwide. In comparison, the failure rate of Android devices stands at 47 percent.

Out of all iOS devices, the iPhone 6 has experienced the highest failure rate (13 percent), followed by the iPhone 6s (9 percent) and the 5s (9 percent).

The report also states that apps crash three times as often on iOS devices compared to Android.*

This is something I've mentioned here before about apps crashing more. I don't have the original link I posted, but a quick google search: http://fortune.com/2016/08/25/apple-ios-failure-rate/

Apple's iOS 'Failure Rate' Is Higher Than Android's For First Time

Reactions: apolloa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.