Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
My brother just got his new iPod and asked me if I knew of any cool games he could download. Are downloadable games available? I knew I could just google and find out, but I figured you guys could let me know about the ones that would actually be worth his time.

Any ideas?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
at this moment, games that come with iPod are the only games you can play. (pretty much, except some text based "games.")

downloadable iPod game is still a rumor.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
jxyama said:
at this moment, games that come with iPod are the only games you can play. (pretty much, except some text based "games.")

downloadable iPod game is still a rumor.

Really? That's completely bizarre. Apple could license games the way other handhelds do and make a freaking fortune.

Does anyone know why this isn't happening?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
SuperChuck said:
Does anyone know why this isn't happening?
Because the iPod is an mp3 player first and everything else follows. They may believe that having games and changing the iPod just for that may detract from its simplicity.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
Wes said:
Because the iPod is an mp3 player first and everything else follows. They may believe that having games and changing the iPod just for that may detract from its simplicity.

Well, it already comes with games. There's a games section already built into the menu. What would they have to change?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
how many games can you play effectively with a scroll dial and a few buttons?

more games might be a welcome thing for users, but i don't think they add much value at all to iPods as a whole.

macmaniacttt

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
Linux on iPod

A few more games are available for the iPod, but only after downloading and installing Linux on the iPod: ipodlinux.org

It's very cool...

00david

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.