Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogeliojeda

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011
I requested under different names and emails an unlock for an iPhone 4S. For the first one I got a case vía chat, due date was for yesterday and after another chat session I was told that I have to wait one more week due to high amount of requests.
The other request was vía email on saturday, they replied today that they were unable to unlock it because the account the iPhone was bought has a pending balance.
Does that mean that my request vía chat will be declined too? By just guess it will be obvious but two weeks ago I tried to unlock an iPhone 4 vía phone call and was told that they were unable because of it belonging to an account with pending balance. Didn't gave me a case number. I tried again but vía chat, and they gave me the case number and the unlock was done in 3 days (got the email in 5 days)

So, what's going with this? Does anybody had a similar case or want to share thoughts?

Sorry for the bad english, I'm Mexican

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Still waiting - made the request on the 11th IIRC, and got an email on the 20th saying I'd be notified on or before the 27th.

My old 3GS is going on sale as soon as it's unlocked, so hopefully it'll actually happen in two days!

eugene o

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
I have received the e-mail telling me that my unlock was approved, but have trouble actually unlocking the phone.

Finally I've got the phone unlocked. For some reason it was much harder than it was supposed to be. The phone was bought on Craigslist in November and used with AT&T GoPhone ever since. Here are the steps, that might be useful to some:
  • Requested unlock on the phone
  • Received e-mail asking to fax proof of purchase
  • Faxed a copy of UPC code from the box with IMEI and a letter saying that I do not have the receipt since I am not original owner.
  • Received e-mail saying my request was approved and instructing to restore phone
That didn't work. Initially I wanted to preserve the jailbreak, then gave up on that:
  • Tried deactivating the phone with redsn0w and SAM, then restoring it to stock iOS 5.1 - never got the congratulation screen in iTunes.
  • Also asked to test the phone at a T-Mobile store - it was still locked
  • imei.info was listing the phone as locked
Here I realized that the problem was probably on Apple's or AT&T's side.
  • Called AT&T several times. AT&T kept transferring me to Apple. Apple confirmed that the phone was not listed as unlocked on their side, then transferred me back to AT&T.
  • Ultimately AT&T created a new case for me.
  • Bought T-Mobile micro-SIM for testing
  • Received e-mail that the second e-mail was approved.
  • Inserted T-Mobile SIM and restored phone
  • iTunes never showed unlock screen, but asked to download carrier settings.
  • Finally, T-Mobile SIM worked!
So, if you have trouble unlocking the phone after your request is approved - it is likely that they messed up - and need to do it again.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
[*]Called AT&T several times. AT&T kept transferring me to Apple. Apple confirmed that the phone was not listed as unlocked on their side, then transferred me back to AT&T.
[*]Ultimately AT&T created a new case for me.
[*]Bought T-Mobile micro-SIM for testing
[*]Received e-mail that the second e-mail was approved.
[*]Inserted T-Mobile SIM and restored phone
[*]iTunes never showed unlock screen, but asked to download carrier settings.
[*]Finally, T-Mobile SIM worked!
[/LIST]
So, if you have trouble unlocking the phone after your request is approved - it is likely that they messed up - and need to do it again.

Thanks. I got the e-mail yesterday and restoring it didn't unlock it. It will activate with an active AT&T SIM but not with anything else. I'll try it again.

vishage

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
I was given Apr 26th as the resolution date for my request, call today and the customer rep told me the case is still in process.??? Not sure when i would get that email :(

Last edited:

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
Finally unlocked - Not AT&T customer

I bought my iPhone 4 on Craigslist in January from a person that did use it on AT&T. I unlocked it using the Gevey Ultra chip and it worked fine but I was stuck on iOS 4.3.5 and wanted to upgrade to iOS 5.

I called AT&T on April 9 and AT&T asked me a few basic questions, including the serial number and IMEI number. I never stated that I was an AT&T customer, only that I no longer had an account. They created a case number for me and told me I would receive the e-mail with the unlock process on or before April 23 (two weeks later).

Being impatient, I called them back on April 14. It was a good thing that I did because when I gave AT&T the case number, they could not find it. The agent went through the same steps as the first agent and provided me with another case number. She also said that I would receive the e-mail with unlock instructions within 2 weeks.

On April 20 I received the e-mail and followed the instructions. The first time through, it did not work. That may have been caused by slight problem upgrading the iOS to 5. The second time I backed up the phone and did the restore, the phone was unlocked and I have not had any issues since. I am using the iPhone 4 on T-mobile.

vaibhavmeswani

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
hi

as iphone is unlocked now , can i upgrade to 5.1 which when i pluged in my iphone to pc it ask me for update to 5.1 ... can i go ahead?

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I have an AT&T account and requested an unlock for my 4S on April 22. I haven't received an email from AT&T but it's already unlocked according to the imei.info website.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I have an AT&T account and requested an unlock for my 4S on April 22. I haven't received an email from AT&T but it's already unlocked according to the imei.info website.

how long do imei.info take to tell whether its locked or not? did u try restoring or activating it again/??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.