Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
I've got the original SE edition of the clam-shaped iBook which means I've got 6 HUGE GBs on my HD.

Suffice to say, I'm aching to replace this HD with a higher capacity one: maybe 20 - 30 GB. That along with an Airport card (do they have Airport Extreme cards for this model? I dunno. If so, please let me know. :D) and I will really be sitting pretty.

I have an older ULTRA SCSI 2 HD from my G3 BW tower and was wondering if 1.) this could be used (I'm guessing no). and 2.) if there is suppose to be a particular brand of HD and size of HD that I will need to buy. The local Mac repair place over-charges in my opinion. So, if anyone knows how I could do this on my own inexpensively, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

:D

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Any drive should work as long as it is IDE and 2.5" form factor. The drive in your B&W G3 won't work as it is SCSI and too large (3.5"). I hear that replacing the HD in an iBook is a huge complex multi-step pain in the ass, with dozens of screws and things to take apart before you can reach the drive. It wouldn't be something to attempt if you aren't skilled with your hands or don't have several hours on your hands. Keep in mind that you could pay less for more space if you got an external Firewire drive.

There is no AirPort Extreme card for the iBook, and since the iBook doesn't have a PCMCIA slot I don't know how you would add 802.11g...

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I have swapped hard drives in both a clamshell and a dual-usb ibook, both of them are hard to do. You will need a 9.5mm tall laptop drive. Any taller and it will not fit correctly.

I, personally, would not suggest doing it yourself, because if the possability that you could ruin the ibook, or crack the plastic trying to get it apart or back together.

But, if you are still content on doing it, here is a how-to:
http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i generally recommend against opening a laptop until you're proficient and comfortable with desktops. Everything in a tower will be neatly installed so there's plenty of free space and none of it touches each other. In a laptop, things are compressed to the extreme, so often it'll be assembled in more of an improvisational manner...

as for 802.11g, once there is a firewire solution you'll be good (wait, does that ibook have firewire??)... if this functionality is useful to you, i would suggest going and buying a newer iBook-- you'll have to eventually anyway, and the speed difference will be noticible.

pnw

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Anybody know how to do-it-yourself change your ibook's HD?

Originally posted by GeneR
The local Mac repair place over-charges in my opinion. So, if anyone knows how I could do this on my own inexpensively, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

:D
of course you think its expensive, you ve never done it before. it is easily a 2-3 hour job for a skilled mac tech. please dont talk about how resellers rip you off in something that is very difficult to do and is reasonable in price.

iJon

andrewlandry

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2002
NYC
i read Mac Addict's guide on how to switch hard drives on an iBook and then tried it myself. i'm pretty good with stuff like that and felt like saving the money.

to make a long story short... i spent half the night working on it, put it back together, hit the power button and... nothing.

i took it to TekServe, where i paid $700 for a tier 3 repair that had to be done at the Apple depot. After selling everything i could think of on eBay, i got it fixed in two weeks. anyhow, i would certainly not recommend anyone trying this upgrade unless they are a pro. it is extremely easy to damage sensitive components that are sandwiched in the case. In my case, i killed the logic board somehow.

Seriously, it is worth how every much they charge.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by andrewlandry
i read Mac Addict's guide on how to switch hard drives on an iBook and then tried it myself. i'm pretty good with stuff like that and felt like saving the money.

to make a long story short... i spent half the night working on it, put it back together, hit the power button and... nothing.

i took it to TekServe, where i paid $700 for a tier 3 repair that had to be done at the Apple depot. After selling everything i could think of on eBay, i got it fixed in two weeks. anyhow, i would certainly not recommend anyone trying this upgrade unless they are a pro. it is extremely easy to damage sensitive components that are sandwiched in the case. In my case, i killed the logic board somehow.

Seriously, it is worth how every much they charge.
thank you, someone with some common sense.

iJon

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Re: Anybody know how to do-it-yourself change your ibook's HD?

Originally posted by iJon
of course you think its expensive, you ve never done it before. it is easily a 2-3 hour job for a skilled mac tech. please dont talk about how resellers rip you off in something that is very difficult to do and is reasonable in price.

iJon

I agree. I have swapped an HD in a clamshell and it is not a task for the faint of heart. When iJon says 2-3 hrs. he isn't kidding, so a $50-$100 (or more) install fee is reasonable.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
Thanks a bunch!

Thanks to everyone to responded. I can not stress enough the fact that I really appreciate your time and input. All the links were really helpful. I am still debating what to do about replacing the ibook drive and will be meditating on it for the next few weeks. I guess I'm just going to have to listen to that internal dialogue about what to do.

Thanks again! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.