Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HandyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
A friend has an SSD that was removed from a mid-2017 13" MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar, A1708) whose logic board died. She bought a new MacBook Pro, so the 2017 is still nonfunctional. The SSD has data she needs to get. Does anybody offer an external case where this SSD could be installed? "These drives use a proprietary Apple PCIe 3.0 x4 interface with a 22+34 pin connector." (I'm still on a 2014 MacBook Pro, so these newer ones are unfamiliar territory.)

HandyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, while the OWC Envoy Pro 1A works with the common "blade" style SSDs (left below), this oddball SSD (right below), which was used only in the 2016 & 2017 13" "function keys" MacBook Pro, nowhere else, won't fit in it. I sent a query to OWC, but expect a negative response.

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 6.45.59 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

OWC_TAL

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2024
Hi! Unfortunately I'm not aware of any reader for this style of SSD that is easily available to purchase.

One option is: try to borrow a MacBookPro14,1, install the SSD, and use Target Disk Mode to transfer data. Not ideal but it might work.

HandyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
OWC_TAL: Thanks for your response. A response at Apple Discussions suggested Target Disk Mode: "You may be able to put that broken laptop into Target Disk Mode to access the data on that SSD. Target Disk Mode only requires the laptop to power on and recognize the special startup key for activating Target Disk Mode, plus the USB-C port must be functional. You don't even need to see anything on the screen." Didn't know this, should be worth a try. However, the owner says she's decided not to pursue it further. So maybe I'll get to try that another time with a nonfunctional MBPro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.