Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zooole

macrumors member
May 22, 2016

(Your post was completely irrelevant.)

On the ntb base model, it was very rough. I couldn't get more than 20FPS out of it in crowded areas (mid-late game) without making the game look absolute crap.

The tb will probably do better, last I heard it was 10-20% in games. Still I would not expect it to be very playable on decent settings. Worth noting though that I think for many this game is still playable at around 25FPS since there is not much action going on.

Also greatly disappointed the way Apple and the devs handle Metal for macOS. Most devs are not giving a crap, even when they actually push mac releases relatively hard (Firaxis at the moment). Either something is seriously flawed with Metal, in a way that porting engines are very hard or simply nobody cares.

Anyway, Apple should push it way harder. WoW is miraculous even on the ntb base model.

Reactions: bhayes444

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I tried Civ 6 on my 13" tMPB.. very choppy frame rate with graphics settings up. Looks great as long as you don't scroll.

I think this game needs a dedicated GPU if you don't want to play with graphics at minimum.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I tried Civ 6 on my 13" tMPB.. very choppy frame rate with graphics settings up. Looks great as long as you don't scroll.

I think this game needs a dedicated GPU if you don't want to play with graphics at minimum.

Hmm, how'd it do with graphics setting minimum-moderate?

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
maybe it's just me can't tell anything about the frame rate, but I actually don't see any significant difference between 13-tb and maxed out 5k iMac (4G i7 + 395 + 32g)... no significant difference.

edit:
oh yeah, for sure you have to dial down graphics settings on MacBook..

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Hmm, how'd it do with graphics setting minimum-moderate?

It was too choppy for my preference. Decent at lowest settings but then the game is ugly. One of the great things about Civ 6 is how pretty the world looks.

I'll have to stick to a gaming desktop until Apple decides to bless us with a decent GPU in one of their non-laptops but I'd be thrilled for an officially supported external GPU.

SaintJ92

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
I am curious about this as well. I've heard conflicting reports. Some say it's fine other say it's not. Unsure if people just have different perspectives on what's fine and what isn't.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I am curious about this as well. I've heard conflicting reports. Some say it's fine other say it's not. Unsure if people just have different perspectives on what's fine and what isn't.

I haven't bought it to install on my new MBP 13" TB base, but would like to hear from someone who has. Probably just need to bit the bullet and give it a shot.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Been waiting for a price drop. Looks like app store actually has it at $55 now. First time I've seen it below $60. All these great deals on PC during holiday, but Mac stayed at $60.

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
I think they're the same. The only difference is that you need the Steam Client and a Steam Account to play the game. On the other side if you own the Steam version you can play it on Windows and Linux aswell.

Reactions: Badrottie

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I think they're the same. The only difference is that you need the Steam Client and a Steam Account to play the game. On the other side if you own the Steam version you can play it on Windows and Linux aswell.

Platform flexibility sounds like a huge plus. Does the App Store version require an internet connection for play? If so, sounds like there is no advantage to getting that version. Option to play on both my PC and Mac would be cool, but I'd rather have the option to play offline if given a choice.

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
Once installed you can also play offline on Steam. It has an offline mode.
I think the App Store version also runs offline.

SaintJ92

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
I didn't realize that buying games on Steam gives you both Windows and Mac versions of the game. I also have a PC that can definitely run the game, so I will buy it through Steam and test it on the 13" MBP w/ TB and I'll report back.

SaintJ92

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
Tried it last night. It runs fine on minimum settings early game. Could probably get away with playing on Low or some other custom settings. Was getting around 30 fps it seemed like (didn't check). Only got 100 or so moves in playing the tutorial though. I would venture to say that late game will probably drop to the teens in terms of FPS. Only concern is that the laptop got very hot and I was worried about overheating. Also the game seemed to crash/freeze during the tutorial, but i'm not sure if that was due to the MBP or an issue with the game because i did something that the tutorial didn't ask me to do.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Tried it last night. It runs fine on minimum settings early game. Could probably get away with playing on Low or some other custom settings. Was getting around 30 fps it seemed like (didn't check). Only got 100 or so moves in playing the tutorial though. I would venture to say that late game will probably drop to the teens in terms of FPS. Only concern is that the laptop got very hot and I was worried about overheating. Also the game seemed to crash/freeze during the tutorial, but i'm not sure if that was due to the MBP or an issue with the game because i did something that the tutorial didn't ask me to do.
The performance is not as big of a deal if the Steam deal lets you play on either Mac or PC. Were you able to try on PC? If it works I can use the MBP only for "emergency" Civ sessions.

DMaria

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2016
I have Civ VI on a 2016 15in with the 455. It runs alright at medium settings, but a little choppy at high settings. In either case, it went thru the battery in 2 hours (ouch). If it had gotten 2 degrees warmer, I wouldn't have been able to touch it.

As a side note, it runs great on my 5K iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.